TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

The new morning format at WKYC has resulted in a departure already. John Anderson announced on his social media pages that he's no longer at the station.

Lemme guess, WKYC’s morning show has gone full social media?

Edited by Guest

Lemme guess, WKYC’s morning show has gone full social media?

I guess Tegna figured that WKYC can maintain 2nd place. Question is, can WOIO or WEWS finally capitalize on Tegna-itis finally infecting the Digital Broadcast Center on Lakeside Avenue?

I guess Tegna figured that WKYC can maintain 2nd place. Question is, can WOIO or WEWS finally capitalize on Tegna-itis finally infecting the Digital Broadcast Center on Lakeside Avenue?

I heard that WEWS has now overtaken WKYC for second place. Viewers are not liking the new format on 3.

• Like 2

I heard that WEWS has now overtaken WKYC for second place. Viewers are not liking the new format on 3.

Cleveland is now home to three pieces of shits (3 because of the new format, 5 because of Scripps and 19/43 because they just joined way too late in the news race + the "taboo" format turned viewers away) and just one runaway winner (8 because it does news the best + most veteran anchoring/reporting staff).

• Like 2

WFAA had a high school homecoming mum-making competition this morning (Ron Corning won).

Mum making as in flower arranging? (Making sure that it’s not something else).

So glad that the news here in the morning is straight newscast aside from some the trending segment and WJZ’s Manic Monday’s.

Mum making as in flower arranging? (Making sure that it’s not something else).

So glad that the news here in the morning is straight newscast aside from some the trending segment and WJZ’s Manic Monday’s.

Yep. They usually do a wild-card segment like that at 6:24.

I’m fine with that kind of stuff on morning shows, but do it on a 4:30-9am show, not a 4:30-7am.

Edited by Guest

It's bad enough when stations like KYTX blow out anyone locally-known to the viewers and replace them with no-names/talking-heads (which already does them no favors in the ratings game compared to longtime top-banana KLTV), but then let's add something like mum craftiness and chili ingredient debates, oh and an almost-laughable seat-of-the-pants high school football wrap-up show on Friday nights... IMO, Tegna hasn't exactly *added* value to their investment. And as for WFAA (another IMO), if Mike Shapiro (longtime past VP/GM) or Marty Haag (longtime past ND) could see what's up on Young Street now, they'd be spinning in their graves.

• Like 1

WKYC is =68.ARBetJkemUGcg3uyEr_DFBgYdqyYSriE9JSbmU-VKv7-dos6c90FLx0qPoHV5B3E7t6rHij4O_yJT-pUMq91_lFcPk4Mb94VGpgJ1lKSuEyc2kGHALYHUyNSfeOMMfVDVNltS9VO7w2zJPSI7ItWLK1A395HwnCKRA6OtQYxIb7wjMX52C_z7MtpnwuHvF3keVszapCD&__tn__=-R']teasing on its Facebook page a "familiar face" coming to its morning newscast on Monday. It's likely in-house, and many are speculating in the comments it could be weekend sports anchor Dave Chudowsky.

Dave Chudowsky has officially been named the new weekday morning news co-anchor with Maureen Kyle on WKYC. He replaces John Anderson, who, of course, is no longer at the station. Al Pawlowski replaces Dave at the weekend sports desk.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
It's bad enough when stations like KYTX blow out anyone locally-known to the viewers and replace them with no-names/talking-heads (which already does them no favors in the ratings game compared to longtime top-banana KLTV), but then let's add something like mum craftiness and chili ingredient debates, oh and an almost-laughable seat-of-the-pants high school football wrap-up show on Friday nights... IMO, Tegna hasn't exactly *added* value to their investment. And as for WFAA (another IMO), if Mike Shapiro (longtime past VP/GM) or Marty Haag (longtime past ND) could see what's up on Young Street now, they'd be spinning in their graves.

Also Chip Moody would be rolling over in his grave seeing what TEGNA has done to the Spirit of Texas (WFAA)

Just when you thought WKYC's new look morning show couldn't get any worse, think again! Here comes chocolate syrup on cereal... LIVE during the news.

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/video/life/food/the-secret-to-better-cereal-hersheys-syrup/95-8289993

New News Director = more Tegna-y. Gotta make his mark, you know.

• Like 2

Here's what WKYC's news direct...er, director of news content Adam Miller has to say of the station being a "mini 30 Rock," according to this article.

I saw that and had a good laugh. Does that mean someone at KYC is going to be Matt Lauer, and creep out all the women at the station?

I saw that and had a good laugh. Does that mean someone at KYC is going to be Matt Lauer, and creep out all the women at the station?

I don't think that's what he means. I think he means that he wants to turn WKYC into a mini-NBC. Meaning good journalism, good production, and good shows.

I don't think that's what he means. I think he means that he wants to turn WKYC into a mini-NBC. Meaning good journalism, good production, and good shows.

Just gotta take it easy with the fluff and the gimmicks. Between Cleveland 19 and what passes as TV 5, things could be worse.

Right now, the only thing NBC has of those three is good production. The fluff and gimmicks, especially in the AM, are getting out of hand, and Super Dave is Super Bland in the new role.

Tegna's syndicated Daily Blast Live is off to a bit of a rough start. Two of the show's host got into a disagreement that went viral for the wrong reasons. So much so that producers have been trying to stop footage from going viral. Too late.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-this-painfully-brutal-panel-show-exchange-you-are-the-living-embodiment-of-white-privilege/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/daily-blast-white-privilege_us_5b9abfd5e4b0b64a336d12a3

DBL is starting to pick up viewers here in the Denver market slowly, but that's for it's 2nd live showing on KTVD, while NEXT on KUSA is way down from what the 6PM newscast used to be. KCNC's 6pm was ahead of "NEXT" the last 2 weeks of October.