TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Hey, all. Long time, no see.

For whatever dumb reason, I was looking at the online listings for WUSA, and what do I see?

"6-7AM: Get Up DC! (New) Host and comedian Reese Waters, provides viewers with his own unique point of view on local traffic reports, weather forecasts and important news of the day."

Wait? What the WHAT?!

[Puts on glasses]

CO--ME--DIAN.... U--NIQUE POINT---OF---VIEW.....TRAFFIC...WEATHER....IMPORTANT NEWS OF THE DAY.....

COMEDY.... NEWS...

Oooookay

So, is this like a thing where a (former?) comedian just takes up hosting a coffee clatch local GMA/Today type thing where the first five minutes is what happened yesterday, then they go to the guests to show new yoga moves or talk about the hot new parenting trend, or is this like The Daily Show or Stephen Colbert but in the morning?

[Looks for something on YouTube about this show...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=sm1kGplXSXI;list=PL0FBhSp_O7Myol7nIKklr0z-LAzSiy2Az

Oooookay..

So, um, The One and Only Channel Nine has three different types of morning shows running at once: The traditional local morning show running from 4:30-6am, the advertorial thing that runs from 9-10am, and the one with the comedian from 6-7am that seems to be a marriage of the comedy bits of late night shows,Seth Myers "A Closer Look" and the "Today" show.

And it's crazy that the shows are named "Wake Up Washington" (4:30), "Get Up DC!" (6:00) and "Great Day Washington" (9:00). It's like the namestorming sessions was just find the thesaurus! (Where "Great Day Washington" is the synonym title to WTTG Fox 5's "Good Day DC".)

• Like 1

Hey, all. Long time, no see.

For whatever dumb reason, I was looking at the online listings for WUSA, and what do I see?

"6-7AM: Get Up DC! (New) Host and comedian Reese Waters, provides viewers with his own unique point of view on local traffic reports, weather forecasts and important news of the day."

Wait? What the WHAT?!

[Puts on glasses]

CO--ME--DIAN.... U--NIQUE POINT---OF---VIEW.....TRAFFIC...WEATHER....IMPORTANT NEWS OF THE DAY.....

COMEDY.... NEWS...

Oooookay

So, is this like a thing where a (former?) comedian just takes up hosting a coffee clatch local GMA/Today type thing where the first five minutes is what happened yesterday, then they go to the guests to show new yoga moves or talk about the hot new parenting trend, or is this like The Daily Show or Stephen Colbert but in the morning?

[Looks for something on YouTube about this show...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=sm1kGplXSXI;list=PL0FBhSp_O7Myol7nIKklr0z-LAzSiy2Az

Oooookay..

So, um, The One and Only Channel Nine has three different types of morning shows running at once: The traditional local morning show running from 4:30-6am, the advertorial thing that runs from 9-10am, and the one with the comedian from 6-7am that seems to be a marriage of the comedy bits of late night shows,Seth Myers "A Closer Look" and the "Today" show.

And it's crazy that the shows are named "Wake Up Washington" (4:30), "Get Up DC!" (6:00) and "Great Day Washington" (9:00). It's like the namestorming sessions was just find the thesaurus! (Where "Great Day Washington" is the synonym title to WTTG Fox 5's "Good Day DC".)

Don’t give WKYC any ideas on how to resurrect “Today In Cleveland”.

For those who don’t know, “Today In Cleveland” aired from 6:30-7am until about ‘96 or ‘97 when WKYC expanded its morning newscast to that’s timeslot and and was basically two old men talking for 30 minutes.

Don’t give WKYC any ideas on how to resurrect “Today In Cleveland”.

For those who don’t know, “Today In Cleveland” aired from 6:30-7am until about ‘96 or ‘97 when WKYC expanded its morning newscast to that’s timeslot and and was basically two old men talking for 30 minutes.

Not just "two old men," they were lifers at the station - Tom Haley and Del Donahoo.

That show was the first pre-8am local newscast in the Cleveland market (NBC slapped it on in 1981) and it only stayed on the air as long as it did because it wound up attaining a loyal following.

• Like 2

Just checked NMSA (News Music website). WWL & WUPL are now on the list of stations that have “C Clarity” (TEGNA’s new news music of choice). Hopefully somebody can provide a link to a clip with that music soon....

Sooo... this popped up on WUSA's website this morning when I tried to read a story with my ad blocker engaged... the "buy an ad removal pass" leads to Google Contributor:

Each page without ads costs $0.01 ($1 will buy you access to 100 pages without ads). You load your pass with $5. When your balance drops below $1 it will top-up by $5 automatically. The money from your ad removal pass purchase is given to the creators of WUSA9.com (after a small portion is retained by Google to cover the cost of running the service)

upload_2018-4-11_5-31-13.thumb.png.a6fe766aa645401369e21608b076a147.png

Checked a few other TEGNA sites... of the few I checked, KUSA had the same setup (it actually popped up on their homepage).

• Like 2

As has been reported elsewhere, Tegna is on a huge hiring spree, mostly in mid-to-large size markets (Atlanta, D.C., Austin, Dallas). They were offering buyouts last year to a lot of their older/more expensive employees, so I'm sure most of these jobs posted don't pay great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, the other day, Tegna had their "Pinnacle Awards." It awards the best in innovation,etc. at Tegna stations over the last year. Anyone at Tegna have any more info on this? What are the categories? Any place to view the winning entries?

• Like 1

Posted in the Radio Broadcasting forum about Tegna reportedly looking to dump the two San Diego radio stations it got in the Midwest TV deal for KFMB-TV and, as a start in that direction, apparently not interested in signing the popular but high-priced KFM-BFM morning show to a contract renewal. More appropriate for the radio forum, so:

https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/sd-reader-tegna-looking-to-get-rid-of-san-diego-radio-stations-dave-shelly-chainsaw-morning-show.16890/

• Like 1

Tegna has found a replacement for KHOU general manager Susan McEldoon, who is stepping down in January. Industry vet Bobby Springer will join the Houston station in August and work alongside McEldoon as he transitions into the role in the new year, which is when KHOU will move to its new home.

“Bobby’s talents in marketing, branding, sales, digital and leading teams across Tegna through transformation initiatives make him the best choice to lead KHOU into a new era,” said Lynn Beall, executive vice president and chief operating officer of media operations for Tegna.

Springer comes from KUSA in Denver. He has held roles in business development, sales design and production at various Tegna stations, including KARE, where he worked in news and promotions. He has won regional Emmys, a Telly Award, a Minnesota Broadcasters Award, numerous Colorado Broadcasters Awards, a Promax BDA Award and a TVB Emma

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So...according to this video, TEGNA has wrapped its 2018 Content Summit.

[MEDIA=vimeo]283742062[/MEDIA]

Seems like a pretty cool place to be! I love how TEGNA is not afraid to innovate and try new things.

So...anyone who was able to go, what was it like? What were some things discussed? What were some ideas? I couldn't find much online.

• Like 1

So...according to this video, TEGNA has wrapped its 2018 Content Summit.

[MEDIA=vimeo]283742062[/MEDIA]

Seems like a pretty cool place to be! I love how TEGNA is not afraid to innovate and try new things.

So...anyone who was able to go, what was it like? What were some things discussed? What were some ideas? I couldn't find much online.

That video looked pretty good. It looks like TEGNA is a cool company to work for.

• Like 1