TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

From FTVLIVE.com TEGNA stock price is dropping and it ripe to be sold. With TEGNA being heavy with NBC affiliates, but who would grab TEGNA? If it could be divided up between Hearst, Graham and maybe Gray (just my speculation)

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/10/4/tegna-is-ripe-to-be-sold

It's possible we could see that.

But it's also possible one of the two giant enemies could slide in and get them too.

It's possible we could see that.

But it's also possible one of the two giant enemies could slide in and get them too.

I posted it in the Speculatron thread, but anyway Sinclair can't acquire Tegna, or any part of it, if the Tribune deal goes ahead as they would already be over the cap.

I posted it in the Speculatron thread, but anyway Sinclair can't acquire Tegna, or any part of it, if the Tribune deal goes ahead as they would already be over the cap.

Well this is true, just never know with today's economics in the M&A train. Maybe they grab a portion of it? Who knows.

• Like 1

Nexstar is a prime candidate for Tegna by default just because, though they definitely have conflicts (Portland OR, Tampa, Jax, a good chunk of Texas, WDVM/DC may also be a problem)--but given they're based in Texas, I could definitely see them wanting WFAA and KHOU as a crown jewel. They'd also have a footprint in Austin again, and they'd get San Antonio--basically all of Texas's major metros. If Sinclair/Trib gets FCC approval, it may be worth the risk for Nexstar to sidecar some of those conflicts.

Hearst would be a good candidate too. They have a couple conflicts too, but I think selling WMTW, WHAS, WFMY and KXTV to a Nexstar or Scripps basically takes care of it. They get a powerhouse in Portland ME so they don't have to middle with WMTW anymore, they'd get a presence in DC beyond office space with WUSA, and they'd get some amazing Belo legacy stations that need help in return, and I have no doubt Hearst could rehab a lot, if not all of them back to their one-time dominance.

(Mods feel free to move to speculation if I'm getting too deep in the weeds here)

• Like 1

Nexstar is a prime candidate for Tegna by default just because, though they definitely have conflicts (Portland OR, Tampa, Jax, a good chunk of Texas, WDVM/DC may also be a problem)--but given they're based in Texas, I could definitely see them wanting WFAA and KHOU as a crown jewel. They'd also have a footprint in Austin again, and they'd get San Antonio--basically all of Texas's major metros. If Sinclair/Trib gets FCC approval, it may be worth the risk for Nexstar to sidecar some of those conflicts.

Hearst would be a good candidate too. They have a couple conflicts too, but I think selling WMTW, WHAS, WFMY and KXTV to a Nexstar or Scripps basically takes care of it. They get a powerhouse in Portland ME so they don't have to middle with WMTW anymore, they'd get a presence in DC beyond office space with WUSA, and they'd get some amazing Belo legacy stations that need help in return, and I have no doubt Hearst could rehab a lot, if not all of them back to their one-time dominance.

(Mods feel free to move to speculation if I'm getting too deep in the weeds here)

https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/rumor-tegna-and-nexstar-merger.16065/page-3#post-191501 I posted that in the Speculatron.

TEGNA struggling to find investors is a good sign the downward spiral is starting to reach top speed.

If big companies like TEGNA start selling off, they're just going to inflate the other remaining companies. Eventually those companies will start to struggle and... Well, you can guess what happens. If nobody is buying, we're just going to see stations shut down.

Like it or not, TV is dying and the only thing keeping it afloat are companies like Sinclair who are still in a buying mood.

• Like 1

I can see the whole company going piecemeal with Hearst, Graham and other companies grabbing a piece.

A few of these stations are O&O bait as well. Specifically KUSA, WXIA, WCNC and KPNX which could all become NBC O&Os.

I can see Hearst getting most of the company with Graham grabbing any conflict stations. Meredith may get a few conflicts as well. IIRC, I discussed this in the Speculatron.

Like it or not, TV is dying and the only thing keeping it afloat are companies like Sinclair who are still in a buying mood.

Part of the death of TV is its own doing, like a habitual smoker that has lung cancer but refuses to give it up, partially out of denial that they've done this to themselves.

That said, even companies like Sinclair can only keep it up for so long.

• Like 4

Nexstar is no longer in Jacksonville. Ironically, considering they bought the station from Media General in 2009, WCWJ has been sold to Graham Media Group.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This happened a month ago but I forgot to post it on here. I'm sure some people would be interested in this. Dave Lougee, the current Tegna CEO, former Belo executive, and KUSA's news director in the mid-90s, was interviewed by Kyle Clark on his Facebook Live show, "Afternoon Delight." He talks a lot about how TV news needs to innovate and change and how they are using a number of different approaches in different markets.

WBIR has a brand new website. Future Tegna look?

It is. It's directly modeled from the mobile site and the changes they went through earlier this year.

And when I say "directly modeled", I mean, it's pretty much the mobile site that fits your wide® screen device.

It is. It's directly modeled from the mobile site and the changes they went through earlier this year.

And when I say "directly modeled", I mean, it's pretty much the mobile site that fits your wide® screen device.

And, yet, it's not responsive. It stays exactly the same no matter how narrow my browser window is. Meanwhile, the mobile site looks bad when viewed in a desktop browser; it's clearly not responsive, either. Of course, if it was, it wouldn't be a separate site.

C'mon, Tegna. Even Sinclair and Nexstar have responsive sites.

one thing I have noticed with the news sites (other than the fact that they are awful) is that they aren't plastering "A Tegna Company" next to the station logo.

First, who made you an expert on web page design? Second, if you don't like TEGNA's websites, don't go to any of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Me: Hey TEGNA, wanna get rid of your weather diginets that some of your stations still have?

TEGNA: Yes.

Me: Okay then, even though I like my weather diginets. What will you call this new one?

TEGNA: Quest.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/108675/tegna-cooper-media-to-launch-quest-diginet

Say goodbye to WHAS 11.3, WFAA 8.2, KPNX 12.2, WZZM 13.2 and others as we know it.