TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

So four years ago this morning, was the announcement that shook this board up like wildfire. The Gannett & Belo deal.

There weren't any pre-preesed rumors about a union related to these two groups, until the announcement.

This came after Sinclair announcement of Barrington & Fisher; Nexstar with ComCorp, and Media General's first M&A after selling its papers to Birkshire Hathaway, the MG/Young deal. Local TV & Allbritton even announcing that they were selling their groups.

But this specific deal came out of nowhere. No one, including me say this coming. This was a likely the biggest shocker in 2013 for me. For one of the best station groups in the country, you would think Belo would be around for years to come.

This was a likely the biggest shocker in 2013 for me. For one of the best station groups in the country, you would think Belo would be around for years to come.

I remember when I heard the terrible news, I ran home and hugged my children...which was strange because my kids were supposed to be in school.

I think the biggest shocker for me in 2013 was the death of Annette Funicello. The old folks tell stories about searching the internet in 1957 for "annettes breast" because back then you couldn't use "tits" or "boobs" as search terms . She was the most searched term in 50's back when the internet used typewriters and Tv's.

• Like 5

I remember when I heard the terrible news, I ran home and hugged my children...which was strange because my kids were supposed to be in school.

I think the biggest shocker for me in 2013 was the death of Annette Funicello. The old folks tell stories about searching the internet in 1957 for "annettes breast" because back then you couldn't use "tits" or "boobs" as search terms . She was the most searched term in 50's back when the internet used typewriters and Tv's.

you live to have fun, don't you?

• Like 2

As gesticulated by yours truly, TEGNA is continuing its march towards becoming "pure play media" by announcing that it is selling of a portion of its ownership in CareerBuilder.com to private equity firm Apollo Global Management. Sale expected to close by Q3 of this year.

With this move, TEGNA will reduce ownership from a controlling 53% stake to 12.5%, and will afterwards be a media-only company, which again raises the prospects that TEGNA is either trying to clean itself up to be acquisition bait (Nexstar is still lurking), or that they may go on another acquisition spree themselves.

As gesticulated by yours truly, TEGNA is continuing its march towards becoming "pure play media" by announcing that it is selling of a portion of its ownership in CareerBuilder.com to private equity firm Apollo Global Management. Sale expected to close by Q3 of this year.

With this move, TEGNA will reduce ownership from a controlling 53% stake to 12.5%, and will afterwards be a media-only company, which again raises the prospects that TEGNA is either trying to clean itself up to be acquisition bait (Nexstar is still lurking), or that they may go on another acquisition spree themselves.

Tribune Media is selling its interest in that website to Apollo as well. Their interest will shrink from 32% to 8%.

• Like 1

Tribune Media is selling its interest in that website to Apollo as well. Their interest will shrink from 32% to 8%.

So they either agreed to do it together, or TEGNA decided to give up control first, and Sinclair/Tribune chose to reduce their share as well.

Also, with Apollo having probably close to 60% control now, how long does McClatchy hang in there? I know they have som form of integration into their dailies, but there will be the inevitable large cost cutting that always comes from private equity takeovers.

So they either agreed to do it together, or TEGNA decided to give up control first, and Sinclair/Tribune chose to reduce their share as well.

Also, with Apollo having probably close to 60% control now, how long does McClatchy hang in there? I know they have som form of integration into their dailies, but there will be the inevitable large cost cutting that always comes from private equity takeovers.

McClatchy shrunk theirs from 15% to 3.8%. Make me wonder why Apollo didn't just took their remaining interest, instead of leaving the three with the crumbs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what will happen to that 8% stake when the Sinclair-Tribune deal finishes. CareerBuilder being partially owned by Sinclair doesn't make sense to me. When and if it's finished, I guess Sinclairibune will sell it by then.

I wonder what will happen to that 8% stake when the Sinclair-Tribune deal finishes. CareerBuilder being partially owned by Sinclair doesn't make sense to me. When and if it's finished, I guess Sinclairibune will sell it by then.

I think they just might hang on to it -- it's a minority stake, and Sinclairibune might just want to keep its little bit of cheap cash.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/mobile/index/article/id/105995

Is this their answer to The Real or what? The article says that it will be produced out of WATL and have four co-hosts and a DJ (similar to how Ellen does) who will provide a guy's POV. It will air in 12 Tegna markets including Atlanta and air nationally on TV One, which when I last checked, was partially owned by NBC Universal.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/mobile/index/article/id/105995

Is this their answer to The Real or what? The article says that it will be produced out of WATL and have four co-hosts and a DJ (similar to how Ellen does) who will provide a guy's POV. It will air in 12 Tegna markets including Atlanta and air nationally on TV One, which when I last checked, was partially owned by NBC Universal.

Finally something to break up the endless Cosby Show reruns...

Oh yeah....

How come TVone is the ONLY network (besides Centric) that can take an originally 60 minute show...and turn it into a a 90 minute show???

Try an extra "booty load" of commercials.

Not even AMC is that bad!

• Like 1

I didn't realize he was still on television after you know what.

They bought the entire run of The Cosby Show before the allegations of Russian collision and the top secret meeting with Janice Dickerson in Botswana.

"The Sh%t is paid for...who cares what social says.."

• 2 weeks later...
Enough that KPNX has been ruined. Its enough for either KTVK or KSAZ to now win the Phoenix ratings.

I think KPNX is still the #1 station in the market. When TEGNA was Gannett, they have WSVN-ified their graphics and music before in 2008. That did not affect KUSA's ratings, and it might not have affected WTSP's ratings, either. The rest of the Gannett stations' ratings might also not have been affected. KARE was nice enough to keep their existing music, and KUSA was nice enough to keep their existing graphics on their teases (until 2012) and talent opens (also until 2012), and their existing music on their talent opens (until 2012) and closes (until February 2009). Gannett called themselves as being nimble at one point according to an old Gannett website. It said so on the first page of the company's annual report. Qwest also called themselves as being nimble through their slogan from 2010 until they were integrated into CenturyLink in 2011: "Get Qwest. Get Nimble". That was after they retired their "Spirit of Service" campaign, which they used from 2002-2008. Do you think TEGNA is still nimble, and how can that be compared to CenturyLink? As for the ratings in the Phoenix area, Scripps-owned KNXV is the number 2 station in the market.

• Like 2