TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

WCSH/WLBZ have brought back elements of the 2008-2013 Rampage Gannett News Music Package. Is that happening at other Tegna stations?

KXTV briefly used the old Gannett Rampage music for 5 sec. ID promos after the rebrand to "ABC 10" last year.

Probably not a surprise. Because WCSH is the same station that still use a certain theme of an old Gari relic for its "Storm Center" snow coverage (Good News).

• 2 weeks later...
Is this the updated TEGNA graphics people here have been talking about?

[MEDIA=instagram]BNxx3R4jz0r[/MEDIA]

Yup. I mentioned those a few weeks back. So far they've been limited to KXTV but the color palletes matches the new "sliding box" background I've seen on other TEGNA stations.

• Like 1

Speaking of KXTV, their website header and footer now have the word "(connect)" below their logo. Not sure if its a glitch or if they did it on purpose, but that's an ironic parallel to "10 connects".

UPDATE: I just checked this out: http://www.abc10.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/nypd-investigates-incident-with-matt-barnes-/363610747 Yep, the "ABC 10 (connect)" branding is real. Not the best the station could come up with. In fact, quite the opposite, seeing as how its similar to WTSP's blunder of a slogan. Also, a double whammy for the Kings, but that's for a thread in the sports section.

I think the worst cut was letting Tammie Fields go. She has stuck through a lot of WTSP's downs and other than Reg, was the most consistent anchor in that lineup. No wonder why Heather Van Nest left early and for good reason.

PLEASE, do not let there be another "10 Connects News".......

Speaking of KXTV, their website header and footer now have the word "(connect)" below their logo. Not sure if its a glitch or if they did it on purpose, but that's an ironic parallel to "10 connects".

UPDATE: I just checked this out: http://www.abc10.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/nypd-investigates-incident-with-matt-barnes-/363610747 Yep, the "ABC 10 (connect)" branding is real. Not the best the station could come up with. In fact, quite the opposite, seeing as how its similar to WTSP's blunder of a slogan. Also, a double whammy for the Kings, but that's for a thread in the sports section.

Why didn't they introduce the graphics to KUSA, their graphics hub, instead? Also, are they pulling off a Fox O&O update (color palletes and news music are the same, but graphics layout is heavily modified)?

• Like 1

PLEASE, do not let there be another "10 Connects News".......

It's "ABC 10 (connect)" this time though! I see what they did there, they put parentheses around "connect", so original.

IT'S NOT ANY DIFFERENT. I hate it when companies think one minor change like that makes it totally different.

• Like 4

It's "ABC 10 (connect)" this time though! I see what they did there, they put parentheses around "connect", so original.

IT'S NOT ANY DIFFERENT. I hate it when companies think one minor change like that makes it totally different.

Kind of like vanilla ice with queen (you know the one song). Neither are much different than each other.

By the way, I have a couple of questions about KXTV's graphics:

Is this the updated TEGNA graphics people here have been talking about?

[MEDIA=instagram]BNxx3R4jz0r[/MEDIA]

We could see it happening on all the TEGNA stations in 2017.

Yup. I mentioned those a few weeks back. So far they've been limited to KXTV but the color palletes matches the new "sliding box" background I've seen on other TEGNA stations.
Why didn't they introduce the graphics to KUSA, their graphics hub, instead? Also, are they pulling off a Fox O&O update (color palletes and news music are the same, but graphics layout is heavily modified)?

Testing on a station currently undergoing a branding change is definitely the safest option. It makes a lot more sense.
Not really, at least not to me. Especially if the station in question is near or even at the ratings basement (in this case, KXTV). I still think it makes the most sense if they test on a station that is a graphics hub, I mean, they tested out the L3 update on KUSA, why not test out the graphics on there?

I mean, they tested out the L3 update on KUSA, why not test out the graphics on there?

Because for KXTV, they're going through an entire branding change - not just a lower third modification like KUSA.

It is already apparent at this point KXTV is being used by Tegna to experiment with potential concepts that could be published across the entire group. The timing couldn't be any better for them.

Because for KXTV, they're going through an entire branding change - not just a lower third modification like KUSA.

It is already apparent at this point KXTV is being used by Tegna to experiment with potential concepts that could be published across the entire group. The timing couldn't be any better for them.

KXTV isn't going through an entire branding change. All that's changed is the fact that they added "(connect)" on their logo. Besides that, its the exact same logo from a year ago! And not to mention that KUSA is essentially the design tank's graphics hub, and as such, they should test their new graphics on there instead.
  • Like 5

KXTV isn't going through an entire branding change. All that's changed is the fact that they added "(connect)" on their logo. Besides that, its the exact same logo from a year ago! And not to mention that KUSA is essentially the design tank's graphics hub, and as such, they should test their new graphics on there instead.

I would also bet..or add that branding changes don't just happen overnight anymore unless you have a lot of money to play with.

KXTV may be just doing a slow roll-out based on time, money and available artist or staff. I'm sure the "hub" is pretty busy on other pressing projects and are short staffed also.

Trial balloons..to see how people react or repulse. In these time you don't want to be the guy or gal who puts his/ her entire ass on the line with a sudden branding change in a major market unless you know 1000% it's a winner.

Take it slow.....

They may even have a moleman watching this group reax, We do have some pretty smart people...and good opinions here on graphics and branding.

• Like 1

I would also bet..or add that branding changes don't just happen overnight anymore unless you have a lot of money to play with.

KXTV may be just doing a slow roll-out based on time, money and available artist or staff. I'm sure the "hub" is pretty busy on other pressing projects and are short staffed also.

Trial balloons..to see how people react or repulse. In these time you don't want to be the guy or gal who puts his/ her entire ass on the line with a sudden branding change in a major market unless you know 1000% it's a winner.

Take it slow.....

They may even have a moleman watching this group reax, We do have some pretty smart people...and good opinions here on graphics and branding.

The
KXTV have made and planning to make really says otherwise.
I still think KUSA should've been the one testing the graphics instead, or at least a better choice than KXTV.
  • Like 1

I still think KUSA should've been the one testing the graphics instead, or at least a better choice than KXTV.

Your objection is noted for the record...

It's a sacrifice.

Like on Gilligans Island...who do you throw into the volcano to please the Gods?

KXTV???

Or Ginger ?

The pretty ones always live.

KXTV is a dog, and it's on it's way to a Korean BBQ.

• Like 5

Well now that I consider that article from FTVLive that Breaking News shared, I can see why Tegna introduced the new way of news onto the stations that they chose to introduce it to

Another story about what TEGNA doing now this time Channel 10 in Sacramento. Good Luck, Channel 10! Let see if this works.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2016/10/19/tegna-to-launch-new-strategy-today-in-sacramento

And about the article and the one before it, Scott forgot to mention that KSDK is also a struggling station (its even been well documented here in TVNT, so it needs no explanation), and I assume Cheatwood visited that station as well. Also, I have two questions (again):

First, what's the next underperforming Tegna station that will introduce this new way of doing news? And second, whats the next station that'll get the new graphics (as in the one KXTV has)?