TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

The previously green-lit TEGNA Media co-produced T.D. Jakes will premiere on September 12. According to TEGNA's press release, it has cleared 40% of the US. Outside of the owned stations, TEGNA has cleared it through several large & medium markets, including Baltimore (WMAR), Detroit (WMYD), Orlando (WFTV/WRDQ), Chicago (WCIU), San Antonio (KSAT), and San Diego (KGTV).

Eager & anxious to see how he goes up against Steve Harvey (they have similar formats IMO). Do any of the TEGNA stations run Steve Harvey?

I have to mention this, it was three years ago today; Gannett (TEGNA) acquires Belo Corp.

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2013/06/khou-wfaa-kens-kvue-and-belo-stations-gannet.html

The announcement of this deal lit up this board like wildfire.

It was just a shock to all (including me) because Belo was one of the well-respected groups out there.

This came on the height of the M&A craze that year after Sinclair's announcements of new acquisitions of the lower market Cox stations, Barrington & Fisher; Nexstar's announcement of ComCorp; and Media General's announcement of a merger with Young.

Still hard to believe.... I figured it would be a cold-dead-hands moment before WFAA would ever be owned by another company besides Belo.

(Just like it would be a hell-freezing-over moment before the Dallas Morning News would be owned by anyone but A.H. Belo)

WKYC has taken some serious liberty in it's use of their graphics/opens and music over the last several months.

Here's a promo sample that uses the same music as the intro and most bumpers.

The supers and headline bar remain the same, but there's some leeway in other things, especially in the teasers.

And at the very end of the newscast, they ditched the TEGNA logo and replaced it with a generic copyright "©2016 WKYC-TV INC"

I doubt they're up for sale or going to be up for sale any time soon, but this is the furthesy yet I've seen a TEGNA station stray from their presentarion.

• Like 4

WKYC has taken some serious liberty in it's use of their graphics/opens and music over the last several months.

Here's a promo sample that uses the same music as the intro and most bumpers.

The supers and headline bar remain the same, but there's some leeway in other things, especially in the teasers.

And at the very end of the newscast, they ditched the TEGNA logo and replaced it with a generic copyright "©2016 WKYC-TV INC"

I doubt they're up for sale or going to be up for sale any time soon, but this is the furthesy yet I've seen a TEGNA station stray from their presentarion.

Makes sense. Gannett has made it pretty clear that they want to be their own entity, so why should TEGNA continue to use the USA Today colors? I no longer work for the company, but I hope the TANK is developing something new for the stations.

• Like 1

Makes sense. Gannett has made it pretty clear that they want to be their own entity, so why should TEGNA continue to use the USA Today colors? I no longer work for the company, but I hope the TANK is developing something new for the stations.

A possible graphics reboot altogether? I mean, alot of those Lone Star stations still haven't gotten their website upgrades yest, much less the L3 update with the rundown.

On the flip side, I think these graphics have been around since 2013, so maybe it is time for a redo...

• Like 2

A possible graphics reboot altogether? I mean, alot of those Lone Star stations still haven't gotten their website upgrades yest, much less the L3 update with the rundown.

On the flip side, I think these graphics have been around since 2013, so maybe it is time for a redo...

Tegna will see a branding overhaul in the next year. Their web backend (Gannett's Presto) has switched to something new. If you compare any of the broadcasting website UX with one of the newspaper's UX, you will see subtle differences.

Tegna is planning to overhaul the web design within the next year and then graphics, music, branding will totally flip the dichotomy away from Gannett.

Tegna will see a branding overhaul in the next year. Their web backend (Gannett's Preto) has switched to something new. If you compare any of the broadcasting website UX with one of the newspaper's UX, you will see subtle differences.

Tegna is planning to overhaul the web design within the next year and then graphics, music, branding will totally flip the dichotomy away from Gannett.

I thought it was Presto.

Tegna will see a branding overhaul in the next year. Their web backend (Gannett's Preto) has switched to something new. If you compare any of the broadcasting website UX with one of the newspaper's UX, you will see subtle differences.

I thought it was Presto.

-slightly confused by the multiple Circle 7s-

• Like 3

-slightly confused by the multiple Circle 7s-

Easy to tell apart. One looks good, the other one is an ill-conceived, crappy knock-off, and of course I'm not talking about the men behind the profiles.

• Like 1

Easy to tell apart. One looks good, the other one is an ill-conceived, crappy knock-off, and of course I'm not talking about the men behind the profiles.

I actually thought the original TVbD/1998 Circle 7 looked pretty good in the original set.

My personal favorite, though, is the one that they used from 1993 to 95.

• Like 1

Tegna will see a branding overhaul in the next year. Their web backend (Gannett's Presto) has switched to something new. If you compare any of the broadcasting website UX with one of the newspaper's UX, you will see subtle differences.

Are you sure about that? You've said that the Fox O&Os was going to use a brand new music package last year, and that never happened.

• Like 1

Are you sure about that? You've said that the Fox O&Os was going to use a brand new music package last year, and that never happened.

I'm sure that the package is complete. Stephen Arnold told me himself. Who knows when it will air or if it got scrapped.

This is according to a Tegna staff member. I can't say who though.

I'm sure that the package is complete. Stephen Arnold told me himself. Who knows when it will air or if it got scrapped.

This is according to a Tegna staff member. I can't say who though.

Are you saying that TEGNA commissioned Steven Arnold for the package?

Are you saying that TEGNA commissioned Steven Arnold for the package?

No. The first two sentences were commenting on the Fox package that Stephen Arnold station.

The latter was assuring the validity of Tegna overhauling their branding. I don't know who will design the graphics or compose the theme.

• Like 1

No. The first two sentences were commenting on the Fox package that Stephen Arnold station.

The latter was assuring the validity of Tegna overhauling their branding. I don't know who will design the graphics or compose the theme.

Or if Tegna will keep their current theme or not, nor do we know if they decide to make a complete graphics overhaul like they did a few years ago or pull a Fox O&O graphics update (as in, making a graphics overhaul while keeping some of the same elements, including, but often not limited to, same colors and patterns)

Or if Tegna will keep their current theme or not, nor do we know if they decide to make a complete graphics overhaul like they did a few years ago or pull a Fox O&O graphics update (as in, making a graphics overhaul while keeping some of the same elements, including, but often not limited to, same colors and patterns)

...do you ramble like this when you talk out loud?

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
For those keeping track of the Lone Star Group, KAGS rolled out the new website platform today.

The rest of the group will follow suit over the course of the next few months.

And KAGS got it before KCEN? Even that's hard to believe.

And only three months later, the second Lone-Star station, KCEN went live with the Gannettegna-ized website this morning.

And only three months later, the second Lone-Star station, KCEN went live with the Gannettegna-ized website this morning.

Actually, within a year the websites are being overhauled. Tegna uses a different CDN than Gannett used (Presto). While Tegna kept the look, there are some notable UX differences between the two. Note the way that pages present. Anyway, an overhaul here coming soon.

• Like 1

Actually, within a year the websites are being overhauled. Tegna uses a different CDN than Gannett used (Presto). While Tegna kept the look, there are some notable UX differences between the two. Note the way that pages present. Anyway, an overhaul here coming soon.

I mean, I've been here for the discussion (you were the one who brought it up, I distinctly remember), but I'm still calling it Gannettegna-ized based simply on the USAT colors, until if/when the UX change becomes more than theorized conjecture, and my weather is not broadcast with a yellow stripe.

• Like 2

What kind of overhaul? An update to their current website layout (Gannett-TEGNA), or a new one altogether?

Also, speaking of overhauls, I saw what could be KCEN's new logo on google play, so does that mean that it will recieve a change in logos? And will any other TEGNA station that hasn't gotten a new logo in 2 decades get a new logo anytime soon?

Looks like some other stations are also preparing for the "Gannettegna" website.

KBMT is not yet ready.

(Taken from : http://content.tegna-media.com/theme/images/****/site-masthead-logo@2x.png )

Note : Change the asterisk with the station's call letters.

D1so3oJ.jpg

btw7WHF.jpg

wq4TaxF.jpg

Guess what, KXVA and KIDY will have a separate website. And KXVA will have a new brand on August 2nd.

[spoiler=KXVA]2VvI9tV.jpg

• Like 5