TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

KING 5 has hit a huge blow:

http://www.king5.com/mb/news/local/dennis-bounds-jeff-renner-jean-enersen-and-linda-byron-retiring-from-king-5/135076487

DENNIS BOUNDS

JEAN ENERSON

JEFF RENNER

LINDA BYRON

all of them "retiring"

Wow

DAMN!!! I hate to say this, but KOMO didn't have this many people leaving the building when Sinclair took over. Dan Lewis was the only that did maybe "retired" so to speak.

• Like 1

At Tegna's Maine stations two meteorologists took the buyout - Steve McKay at WLBZ (22 years) and Joe Cupo at WCSH (37 years.) Tegna has largely escaped the bad publicity that have accompanied the layoffs, er, buyouts in other markets through slick PR. With McKay, the syrupy cover story is that he's a part-time minister and will go full-time with his "retirement" from Tegna. A total of nine staffers are taking early retirement.

Wow. Poor KING. Those four are Seattle LEGENDS. Leaving all next week! Who will replace them?

Greg Copeland will more then likely replace Dennis Bounds Danielle Leigh will take over Greg's spot at 4 & 9 pm. As for Jeff Renner's replacement seniority wise it would be Rich Marriott but I could also see Jim Guy getting it with Mary Lee taking over the 4 & 9 pm shows.

• Like 2

We will have to see. It will be interesting. I think they should hire somebody new. I think Greg is good for 4 and 9. Jim Guy would be fine for cheif.

How long did they know in advance that they were going to take the buyout?

http://unclebarky.com/dfw_files/4aba1865f384269fac28e1ec3415552a-3591.html

So from reading this, WFAA's buyout group will be limited to about 27 off camera personnel. No on camera people are going to be involved in it.

Sorry for not paying attention here, but what if someone is on the buyout eligible list, but chooses not to take the buyout?

The package must be pretty sweet since I have not seen any bad words from any of the players...or is there a non-disclosure ???

Just not seeing many details anywhere.

• Like 5

I would be very surprised if Dan Lewis joins KING 5 as their main anchor.

More then likely won't happen as Dan & Dennis are roughly the same age (few years difference between them I believe) they are either going to shuffle Mark & Greg around or hire someone from a medium size market that's less then 45ish to be their main anchor.

• Like 1

Sorry for not paying attention here, but what if someone is on the buyout eligible list, but chooses not to take the buyout?

The package must be pretty sweet since I have not seen any bad words from any of the players...or is there a non-disclosure ???

It's 2 weeks of pay for every year of service.

Lori Matsukawa has been with KING 5 since 1983? And she didn't take the buyout. So my guess it was optional some took some didn't. The package must have been really good if 4 of KING's top on air personalities are leaving .

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/tv/jean-enerson-jeff-renner-among-king-5-staffers-taking-retirement-offers/

Article from the Seattle Times states some anchors will be shuffled around as well as reporters and expect some new hires. My guess is Greg moves to 5, 6:30, 7, 10 & 11; Mark moves from mornings to 4, 7 on NWCN and 9 and a new hire takes Mark's spot in the mornings. Or maybe Danielle Leigh moves to Greg's spot who knows.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see who they move around. I think Mark should stay in the morning, move Greg to anchor at 5-6 with a new hire, move Danielle to anchor 4,9, and 10 with Amanda, and make another team of Lori and a new hire for 6:30-7:30 and 11. They could get very creative.

It will be interesting to see who they move around. I think Mark should stay in the morning, move Greg to anchor at 5-6 with a new hire, move Danielle to anchor 4,9, and 10 with Amanda, and make another team of Lori and a new hire for 6:30-7:30 and 11. They could get very creative.

Could work but remember with Greg's current schedule he's anchoring at 4 & 9 on KING & KONG as well as 7 pm on NWCN. So if they kept the way it is now Danielle would do the same identical schedule as Greg. Also interesting to note Greg was anchoring mornings this week while Danielle was on in the evening'

• Like 1

Lori Matsukawa has been with KING 5 since 1983? And she didn't take the buyout. So my guess it was optional some took some didn't. The package must have been really good if 4 of KING's top on air personalities are leaving .

I guess you are really playing the odds that a lot of people will actually take the buyouts...thus leaving some "in the clear"...or maybe not.

It's all one big crap shoot from what I'm seeing.

After all these cuts are finished .....

What will be left to cut?

I guess you are really playing the odds that a lot of people will actually take the buyouts...thus leaving some "in the clear"...or maybe not.

It's all one big crap shoot from what I'm seeing.

I feel bad for all of them as all of them are passionate in what they do.

• Like 1