TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Could they move to Cleveland or Denver? I'd say Dallas, but they sold off the Belo tower.

What about Atlanta or Rochester?

Marcia says they will stay in the DC Metro. From TVNewsCheck:

“This agreement is a continuation of our goal to optimize our real estate portfolio across the company and allows us to transition to better use of space for our corporate headquarters,” said Gracia Martore, Tegna president-CEO. “Tegna remains committed to staying in the Washington, D.C., area and a process is underway to find the most appropriate space to meet our company needs. We are pleased that Tamares will be taking over ownership of a great building and look forward to working with them over the coming months.”

In other TEGNA related news, they are also reporting a $417.4mil 2Q earnings figure, which was up 3% from last years $348m. This didn't include the publishing numbers, which will come out next week.

It should be noted that Q2 figures are still from when they were one company, and that TEGNA is the legal successor of Gannett, and not the publishing company. That is important because TEGNA retained the debt structure from the combined company, so their earnings will be paying down the debt of the two companies pre-split. And everyone expects these revenue numbers to jump -- it is election time after all, and that is one thing they highlighted in their release -- the lack of $14mil in political spending.

TEGNA Release: http://www.tegna.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/TEGNA-Q2-2015-Earnings.pdf

I think Tegna should expand the Justice Network reach to the LSB stations, as well as buy Griffin Communications and/or Hubbard Broadcasting (except for KSTC, KSTP, KSTP's satellites, and its radio stations in Minneapolis, which though I said they should go to Meredith, they should really go to Cox Media) after they take ownership of KGW, WHAS, and KMSB.

• 1 month later...

I know the company TEGNA but I've been saying Gannett/TEGNA because I'm so use to Gannett. Anyway they've updated their apps. I've been watching alot of KARE 11 on the app and 11 ALIVE. The previous app I thought was great, but the new app maybe even better. Has anyone tried or like the new app for the TEGNA stations?

BTW I didn't realize how polish KARE 11 News product is. It doesn't seem too Gannett-ish/TEGNA-ish if that make sense.

BTW I didn't realize how polish KARE 11 News product is. It doesn't seem too Gannett-ish/TEGNA-ish if that make sense.

I find it more Estonian or French. I'm sure G/T is aiming for more of a Dutch / Finland look...but Polish is grand too.

• Like 3

Found something interesting on Google Play.

1. There is a new (tentative) logo of WFMY News 2

2. All TEGNA Media's apps are now using DoApp platform.

I meant to report that the other day, that the legacy Gannett stations had migrated to what was the legacy Belo mobile app platform. I've been using the one for WVEC/13NewsNow and I much more desire the Previous Gannett platforms, if for no other reason that it matched the websites with color schemes, etc.

I think Tegna should expand the Justice Network reach to the LSB stations, as well as buy Griffin Communications and/or Hubbard Broadcasting (except for KSTC, KSTP, KSTP's satellites, and its radio stations in Minneapolis, which though I said they should go to Meredith, they should really go to Cox Media) after they take ownership of KGW, WHAS, and KMSB.

Griffin being sold to TEGNA as well as Hubbard Broadcasting (minus KSTP/KSTC and their satellite stations) makes sense in my opinion.

Hubbard selling out... not yet. Their radio division has been slowly growing over the past few years (most notably with their purchase of Sandusky Radio) and they own WTOP-FM, radio's 800-pound billing monster.

They will probably hold onto their TV stations for a few more years. Just my opinion...

• Like 1

Hubbard selling out... not yet. Their radio division has been slowly growing over the past few years (most notably with their purchase of Sandusky Radio) and they own WTOP-FM, radio's 800-pound billing monster.

They will probably hold onto their TV stations for a few more years. Just my opinion...

What about Griffin Communications? How long do you see them hanging on to their 4 TV stations in OKC and Tulsa?

KING 5 is doing a town hall after the football game this coming Thrusday about traffic in the Seattle/Tacoma area.

Sinclair is well known for their town halls but usually the topics are more political. Are there any other TEGNA stations that have down Town Halls before? I don't think KSDK ever did one before unless they did one during the Ferguson crisis and I just missed it.

KING 5 is doing a town hall after the football game this coming Thrusday about traffic in the Seattle/Tacoma area.

Sinclair is well known for their town halls but usually the topics are more political. Are there any other TEGNA stations that have down Town Halls before? I don't think KSDK ever did one before unless they did one during the Ferguson crisis and I just missed it.

WUSA did a town hall discussion (partnered with the Washington Post) about race relations a few weeks back.

WVEC did one late last yea on the Education system in Hampton Roads.

I find it amazing how Gannett and now Tegna constantly feel the need to slap their name on everything. I saw in this humorous Instagram photo KARE's booth (building really) at the Minnesota state fair which had a sign that read "Minnesota's own KARE 11. A TEGNA Company". I find kind of ridiculous that they brand everything this way as TEGNA doesn't really provide any services as their own.

[MEDIA=instagram]62apgksBOA[/MEDIA]

Comcast kind of does the same thing with their idents on NBCSN and on the opening credits of Universal movies. I kind of think of this as different as Comcast init of itself offers it's own services and those aforementioned properties are different divisions. I also believe that Comcast does this to make their public image a bit better by reminding viewers that they do provide great products despite some issues with their cable quality and customer service.

Comcast kind of does the same thing with their idents on NBCSN and on the opening credits of Universal movies. I kind of think of this as different as Comcast init of itself offers it's own services and those aforementioned properties are different divisions. I also believe that Comcast does this to make their public image a bit better by reminding viewers that they do provide great products despite some issues with their cable quality and customer service.

Comcast is also taking a cue from when MCA slapped its name on a byline of the main Universal Pictures logo throughout the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. MCA only was known for owning Universal Studios/Television and it's associated record label... and not for the talent agency it was forced to sell in order to buy Revue Studios, Decca Records and Universal International.

And yet, Comcast is such a sprawling conglomerate with inconsistent branding standards throughout its many divisions. Some entities like Universal Television are still "A Division of NBCUniversal," while Comcast now has the NBC peacock on their main logo, while NBCUniversal has nothing but a ghastly blocky typeface as their logo. And so on.

While TEGNA and Gannett slapping their names on everything is borderline silly, at least they are employing some sort of consistency.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently KARE's backyard was renovated and after a two months of construction it was revealed on 23 September. It's 1/3 of the size of their previous back yard and features a pond less waterfall, a natural gas grill and fireplace, new pavers that can absorb water to prevent run off and new furniture. The only thing I'd add would be a heated patio so they don't have to shovel the Minnesota snow.

http://www.kare11.com/story/life/home-garden/grow-with-kare/2014/07/22/new-kare-11-backyard-features/12994941/