TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

The structure is likely the results of each of the purchases Gannett made over the years, and cleaning that up would require lots of paper transactions needing regulatory approval and such and probably not being worth the hassle. For instance -- and what I found interesting -- is how WKYC is housed in a subsidiary of a subsidiary of Gannett that exists just for them. This likely stems from back when Multimedia bought 51% of the station from NBC, thus WKYC Holdings was how it managed it's partial interest in the station, until Multimedia/Gannett bought the rest of the station from NBC.

I'd think it'd be rather easy considering the pro-forma nature of these transactions. Hell, they paid someone to come up with the Tegna name, they can pay an in-house counsel to reorganize and restructure their company.

I'd think it'd be rather easy considering the pro-forma nature of these transactions. Hell, they paid someone to come up with the Tegna name, they can pay an in-house counsel to reorganize and restructure their company.

But the question would still be whether there would be any benefits to even go through the trouble. Other than moving several stations out of subsidaries that appear to also be owners of newspaper properties (the org chart is inaccessible by the link above at the moment, but from what I recall the changes were moving WUSA and KXTV out from Detroit Free Press, Inc., taking another station out of Gannett River States Publishing and into a different subsidiary-- I think that was WJXX, but not entirely sure -- and I think moving KTHV into a different subsidiary), they just redesignated some subsidaries as LLCs. They probably also want to hold on to the old company names like Multimedia, Belo, and King Broadcasting. It would be easier by leaving those existing structures in place from each purchase than breaking each up for reassignment. And I doubt the financials would be impacted either positively or negatively by a restructure vs leaving well enough alone.

And it won't be too long before azcentral reverts to the Arizona Republic.

The domain name is likely to remain with them, and indeed it just says "The Arizona Republic" at the top instead of "12 News & The Arizona Republic". I believe they've had the domain name since the late 90s.

In the last month or two they've launched a separate Presto website. Additionally KTAZ is no longer crediting the Spanish paper La Voz (Gannett) for supplemental news footage but instead has a 12news.com courtesy instead. (While KTAZ has its own news operation they take some B-roll from KPNX to supplement their own coverage.)

What remains to be seen is facilities. Seven years ago KPNX moved to the Arizona Republic building downtown with great fanfare and a streetside studio. They could remain there or move elsewhere, which would pretty much require building out their own facilities. That said the downtown location is decent and downtown Phoenix has done a 180 in the last decade to be really vibrant and active.

What remains to be seen is facilities. Seven years ago KPNX moved to the Arizona Republic building downtown with great fanfare and a streetside studio. They could remain there or move elsewhere, which would pretty much require building out their own facilities. That said the downtown location is decent and downtown Phoenix has done a 180 in the last decade to be really vibrant and active.

Could KPNX move back to their old building?

Could KPNX move back to their old building?

It's now occupied by the Parsons Center for Health and Wellness, which conducted an extensive renovation. As Phoenix's light rail now goes down Central Avenue, the property value soared and it would have been very hard to get the space.

For Tegna to build something comparable now in that area may come at too high a cost. KPHO's studio facilities will soon be available, but they are small (when the station became a CBS affiliate the increased program needs strained their studio space) and not in a good part of town either. KSAZ is also downtown in its original 1950s facilities. KTVK is closer to Camelback Mountain. KNXV's studios are near the airport. KTVW built in south Phoenix, a rather heavily Hispanic/African-American area, and KTAZ is in the old KNXV studios in an airport industrial park.

I don't see KPNX building in a suburb because television stations here really need to be centrally located in downtown/central/south Phoenix.

I know, They just desperately need a new logo.

So do KSDK and 11Alive.

Yes, alot of Gannett stations do need some new logos that have been around for several decades. However, W*USA, KTHV went to the bargin basement of logos. WXIA, KSDK, WUSA, KXTV WTLV/WJXX, WBIR could use a refresh logo makeover for those stations.

Yes, alot of Gannett stations do need some new logos that have been around for several decades. However, W*USA, KTHV went to the bargain basement of logos. WXIA, KSDK, WUSA, KXTV WTLV/WJXX, WBIR could use a refresh logo makeover for those stations.

not bargin. And, without removing the heart from WBIR's logo. It's been synonymous with the station since the Mid 80's, just like WMAZ's heart in its logo.

Yes, alot of Gannett stations do need some new logos that have been around for several decades. However, W*USA, KTHV went to the bargin basement of logos. WXIA, KSDK, WUSA, KXTV WTLV/WJXX, WBIR could use a refresh logo makeover for those stations.

And WFAA could use an update similar to what KTVT did back in the late 90s with its logo at the time, but in such a way that it still has the 8 in the square, but with the "WFAA" and the "NEWS" portion of the logo as well as them having a different font or with lowercase letters and without the rectangular box that surrounds the two portions.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this still counts as the Gannett/Tegna thread, but the company had a morning show strategy meeting in Texas this month to try to "re-invent" the morning shows at Tegna stations, I've heard, focusing on KHOU, WFAA and KVUE first. I imagine we'll see whatever they came up with in a few months.

I don't know if this still counts as the Gannett/Tegna thread, but the company had a morning show strategy meeting in Texas this month to try to "re-invent" the morning shows at Tegna stations, I've heard, focusing on KHOU, WFAA and KVUE first. I imagine we'll see whatever they came up with in a few months.

You left out KENS 5.

Tribune tried this with Eye Opener. It's moronic!

Also Tegna will be airing a talk show with TD Jakes as the host of it with WFAA, KARE 11, WKYC, and 11Alive as the test subjects and then to the rest of Tegna's stations if it proves successful.

http://deadline.com/2015/07/debmar-mercury-tests-td-jakes-talk-show-tegna-media-stations-1201472735/

DOA for the Tegna stations showing this. I also wonder how TD Jakes will keep religion out of this somehow.

DOA for the Tegna stations showing this. I also wonder how TD Jakes will keep religion out of this somehow.

He's managed before. He has a knack of being able to switch to general spiritual well-being talk without their being religious tone to it. Creative on the part of Tegna, but I agree, in the markets they chose, save WFAA & maybe 11Alive) I don't think it'll fare too well.

Also Tegna will be airing a talk show with TD Jakes as the host of it with WFAA, KARE 11, WKYC, and 11Alive as the test subjects and then to the rest of Tegna's stations if it proves successful.

http://deadline.com/2015/07/debmar-mercury-tests-td-jakes-talk-show-tegna-media-stations-1201472735/

TD Jakes' show will be taking the 2pm slot on WKYC currently held by "The Doctors." It's not like they are pre-empting the far more visible "Ellen" or "Dr. Phil," and it's a late summer fill-in... so why not?

In any event, the show wouldn't even be ready for a national roll-out until the 2016-2017 season.

TEGNA announced that they have sold their McLean, VA HQ to the Tamares Group for $270m. As part of the sale, they will remain in the building for the next 18 months while they search for a new home for their business. TEGNA's corporate cousin, Gannett however, will lease back the space from Tamares for the print operations on a long term basis.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/87051/tegna-sells-headquarters-building-for-270m

http://www.newsandtech.com/dateline/article_669e8528-25aa-11e5-abe9-e720c7593966.html

TEGNA announced that they have sold their McLean, VA HQ to the Tamares Group for $270m. As part of the sale, they will remain in the building for the next 18 months while they search for a new home for their business. TEGNA's corporate cousin, Gannett however, will lease back the space from Tamares for the print operations on a long term basis.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/87051/tegna-sells-headquarters-building-for-270m

http://www.newsandtech.com/dateline/article_669e8528-25aa-11e5-abe9-e720c7593966.html

Could they move to Cleveland or Denver? I'd say Dallas, but they sold off the Belo tower.