TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Ask and you shall receive..sometimes. haha

http://www.myfoxzone.com/video?clipId=11418130&autostart=true

Here's our A block, some minor issues but overall I thought it went well. We do have a time/temp via newsticker, but our world now server only encodes video directly from Tricaster.

Edit: Here is the full 9 o'clock cast.

http://www.myfoxzone.com/video?clipId=11418907&autostart=true

You did actually manage to surprise with the music cut as well... I think that actually fits somewhere in with the overall FOX theme. The backdrop on the chroma looks good also. Other than Barrett's rough tosses at the end of his segments, I actually think it turned out pretty good.

That music cut didn't really surprise me, I sorta thought they were going to go with it. KENS uses this cut for their close, and I can see why. It sounds powerful for a close but doesn't do the open justice. The voiceover guy is also too soft and clashes with the music. But this transition was definitely the smoothest of all the London stations. Good job.

That music cut didn't really surprise me, I sorta thought they were going to go with it. KENS uses this cut for their close, and I can see why. It sounds powerful for a close but doesn't do the open justice. The voiceover guy is also too soft and clashes with the music. But this transition was definitely the smoothest of all the London stations. Good job.

I'd prefer they use the cut WFAA does, I think it's more authoritative. I've also never liked the voice over they use for the reason you state - It's too weak.

That open cut works great, very Texas-y.

It is, and I think that's why WFAA and KHOU both use it. I was hoping it would spread through the all of new London stations, but apparently KBMT was the only station to pick it up

The video also cleared up my question of how they were doing the dual-affiliation thing. It's clear that they have multiple logos, using the ABC branded 12News logo on the 6, and 10pm newscasts,and the NBC branded 12News logo at noon & 6:30. If I were guessing, I'd also say they have a unbranded one for Daybreak.

It is, and I think that's why WFAA and KHOU both use it. I was hoping it would spread through the all of new London stations, but apparently KBMT was the only station to pick it up

The video also cleared up my question of how they were doing the dual-affiliation thing. It's clear that they have multiple logos, using the ABC branded 12News logo on the 6, and 10pm newscasts,and the NBC branded 12News logo at noon & 6:30. If I were guessing, I'd also say they have a unbranded one for Daybreak.

KENS uses it too to a somewhat lesser extent, but KVUE uses the same cut most of the London stations use then the same cut you mentioned.

KENS uses it too to a somewhat lesser extent, but KVUE uses the same cut most of the London stations use then the same cut you mentioned.

I live in the San Antonio market, KENS does not use that cut, they use the same cut KING 5 uses on all newscasts.

They have used it somewhat, check out this open:

That was their half assed rollout. SA is right, they've since changed to the KING cuts.

EDIT: I shouldn't call it half-assed. That is only my opinion.

First Coast News and 12 News (the one in Phoenix) use the same cut, especially the latter.

Sorry for the double post, my internet screwed with me right then.

I don't see what that has to do with your original point, but ok.

My point is that even though they aren't in Texas, First Coast News, and 12 News (KPNX) use the same cut that WFAA, KHOU, and KBMT use.

Also, I'd rather KVUE have the authoritative cut WFAA uses for its open since KVUE is in Texas' capital city and said cut fits there better than in the metroplex.

My point is that even though they aren't in Texas, First Coast News, and 12 News (KPNX) use the same cut that WFAA, KHOU, and KBMT use.

Also, I'd rather KVUE have the authoritative cut WFAA uses for its open since KVUE is in Texas' capital city and said cut fits there better than in the metroplex.

Except...they aren't the same. WFAA, KHOU and KBMT use a (newer) cut from the theme, one that wasn't heard prior to the Belo stations being integrated. The cut FCN and KPNX use are TOTALLY different in themation, musical elements and tone, and we're part of the original TIH package.

I think you're confused on the theme music of the stations.

Except...they aren't the same. WFAA, KHOU and KBMT use a (newer) cut from the theme, one that wasn't heard prior to the Belo stations being integrated. The cut FCN and KPNX use are TOTALLY different in themation, musical elements and tone, and we're part of the original TIH package.

I think you're confused on the theme music of the stations.

It is a slightly different cut with perhaps a longer beginning, but otherwise it is related to what FCN and KPNX use. Given how many stations in Texas they added with the Belo and London acquisitions it makes sense that they would perhaps extend the package and create a Texas add-on to it.

The more I watch KIII, the more there decision to not alter their logo to fit into the G3 logo box and instead just paste the time/temp below the logo (and most likely outside the safe area) just bugs me. I'm not sure if it's totally their fault or if it's the limitations of their system, but it just looks...odd.

SN: Here's a video of their open. They chose an original cut from the theme.

http://kiii.videodownload.worldnow.com/KIII_0305201522130495022AB.mp4

I noticed that WZZM's holdings company is Combined Communications of Oklahoma and it hit me. Wouldn't it make sense if Gannett/Tegna bought Griffin Communications in Oklahoma (which has KWTV and KSBI in Oklahoma City as well as KOTV and KQCW in Tulsa)?

I noticed that WZZM's holdings company is Combined Communications of Oklahoma and it hit me. Wouldn't it make sense if Gannett/Tegna bought Griffin Communications in Oklahoma (which has KWTV and KSBI in Oklahoma City as well as KOTV and KQCW in Tulsa)?

Probably not, since Griffin started KWTV in 1953 and has been the owner ever since.

That is certainly possible.

The Combined Communications of Oklahoma name is due to the fact that they were part of the trade that sent KOCO and WLWT to Argyle (before they hitched up with Hearst) for WZZM and WGRZ.