TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

I doubt it. The change to KYTX was predictable and inevitable. Their box would not have fir int the logo box without being skewed and shrunk. Also, they were already branding as CBS 19, and I'm sure their CBS affiliation contract required them to "prominently cobrand" the network affiliation on their next graphic refresh like ABC forces their stations to do. For that, KIII will (most likely) have some form of ABC 3 in their branding when they switch.

I think KIII will still brand itself as 3 News but with the ABC logo next to it.

Also, is there anyone with the new KYTX open that has the Gannett graphics?

My friend in Tyler sent me a video, of which I uploaded here:

[yt]U6ZvVJzrsNw[/yt]

What do you think of the lack of a rundown? It's still odd looking to me, especially with the "hard-cut" transitions in the L3.

I think KIII will still brand itself as 3 News but with the ABC logo next to it.

Also, is there anyone with the new KYTX open that has the Gannett graphics?

I mentioned in this thread before the ABC Affliation contract REQUIRES a change to some form of on-air ABC cobranding:

"Station agrees to prominently co-brand with ABC in order to closely link the Station with the Network's identity, consistent with the Network creative guidelines and specifications. Co-branding encompasses, but is not limited to the inclusion of the ABC corporate logo in Station's local identification, and encompasses all on-air (e.g., during all dayparts, graphics, voice over, etc.) and off-air (e.g., signage, print, cable, radio, outdoor, website and other digital media,etc) promotion. This limited license to use ABC's trademarks and trade names is subject to the conditions and limitations set forth in the Network creative guidelines and specifications, and Station's usage must be approved in advance by ABC Affiliate Marketing. Station will add the ABC logo element to Station's local identification in a phased manner that will be accomplished when Station makes its next update to its on-air graphic package and its website. Off-air materials will be updated when Station re-supplies its print, signage or other similar materials."

Why don't they have a rundown? It looks off. Also the fade from the open to the anchors instead of the "wipe" effect that the other stations have is interesting as well..

Something tells me Gannett just took the cheap way out and didn't bother upgrading their graphics systems...

Why don't they have a rundown? It looks off. Also the fade from the open to the anchors instead of the "wipe" effect that the other stations have is interesting as well..

Something tells me Gannett just took the cheap way out and didn't bother upgrading their graphics systems...

I think someone earlier in the thread said that Gannett was going to adapt the graphics to the existing systems at the station, rather than upgrade them. Though I cannot find the post at the moment...

Unrelated, I caught the WUSA broadcast off the internet feed, and I just noticed the temperature only variation of the bug.

2.jpg.6251e801d18fa1eef7dbad5264abb52d.jpg

I think someone earlier in the thread said that Gannett was going to adapt the graphics to the existing systems at the station, rather than upgrade them. Though I cannot find the post at the moment...

I got bored and went and found the original post .

AI-SA-TX said it'll take time for them to get new equipment in, since all of the LSB stations use Chyron. So I'm assuming that's why the on-screen graphics lack the rundown and animated looks.

The response has been relatively muted in Tyler, with the exception of a few people noting their graphics are being cut off/letterboxed. For what it's worth, the strategy, if it was one, not to advertise the look may have worked out, although it may have more to do with not pushing USA Today anymore since the two are divorcing later this year.

I got bored and went and found the original post .

AI-SA-TX said it'll take time for them to get new equipment in, since all of the LSB stations use Chyron. So I'm assuming that's why the on-screen graphics lack the rundown and animated looks.

The response has been relatively muted in Tyler, with the exception of a few people noting their graphics are being cut off/letterboxed. For what it's worth, the strategy, if it was one, not to advertise the look may have worked out, although it may have more to do with not pushing USA Today anymore since the two are divorcing later this year.

I thought their legacy stations used Chyron though, do they not?

And you'd think Gannett would've upgraded KIDY's production controls away from the TriCaster but I guess that's not happening...

I doubt it. The change to KYTX was predictable and inevitable. Their box would not have fir int the logo box without being skewed and shrunk. Also, they were already branding as CBS 19, and I'm sure their CBS affiliation contract required them to "prominently cobrand" the network affiliation on their next graphic refresh like ABC forces their stations to do. For that, KIII will (most likely) have some form of ABC 3 in their branding when they switch.

That's a negative. Much to my surprise, there is not an ABC logo on KIII's graphics. It will remain 3News unless they add the logo in-house.

I thought their legacy stations used Chyron though, do they not?

And you'd think Gannett would've upgraded KIDY's production controls away from the TriCaster but I guess that's not happening...

I believe only one original Gannett station uses Chyron. I don't know why KYTX is using the basic fade in/out, ours have more animation to them. We're all using different versions of Chyron, so it's hard to code something for all the stations to use. As for our production operation, no. Tricaster is here to stay...unfortunately (and KAGS, too).

As for the rundown, it may or may not come around, it all just falls back on getting that coded for Chyron.

Overall, KYTX did a great job on their rollout.

That's a negative. Much to my surprise, there is not an ABC logo on KIII's graphics. It will remain 3News unless they add the logo in-house.

I believe only one original Gannett station uses Chyron. I don't know why KYTX is using the basic fade in/out, ours have more animation to them. We're all using different versions of Chyron, so it's hard to code something for all the stations to use. As for our production operation, no. Tricaster is here to stay...unfortunately (and KAGS, too).

As for the rundown, it may or may not come around, it all just falls back on getting that coded for Chyron.

Overall, KYTX did a great job on their rollout.

KYTX did do a decent job, although in my opinion, the weather production leaves a bit to be desired, especially with their banners having different sizes on different screens, etc. KIDY/KXVA's are the ones I'm most excited to see, simply because you all will be the first Fox affiliate for the group. Just want to see how that FOX logo blends with the color.

As for KIII, I'm surprised as you...especially since your parent just renegotiated all their ABC stations in like October. Unless ABC changed that part of the contract....

KYTX did do a decent job, although in my opinion, the weather production leaves a bit to be desired, especially with their banners having different sizes on different screens, etc. KIDY/KXVA's are the ones I'm most excited to see, simply because you all will be the first Fox affiliate for the group. Just want to see how that FOX logo blends with the color.

As for KIII, I'm surprised as you...especially since your parent just renegotiated all their ABC stations in like October. Unless ABC changed that part of the contract....

I'll admit that the banners being a different size would cause my OCD to explode. I'm making sure that does not happen here. I'm thinking they're sized differently because KYTX was a little behind last week before their launch on Monday, so they may have been in a rush and simply downloaded some templates from various other Gannett stations with the WSI select on demand website. We have done that too, but again I'm going into WSI and sizing everything appropriately.

Branding wise, I'll just say that vertical logos are hard to work with in this type of design. We're keeping our brand/logo style, overall it blends fairly well, but there are issues with the bug and the size of our logo.

I sort of anticipated that KYTX would change over to CBS19.

Mike Landess from KUSA? One of their older 80s-90s anchors? How'd he end up there, Gannett corporate didn't like him or something?

He left KUSA for WXIA and then came back to Denver at KMGH. Now he's at KYTX. He never retired. I know that he was considering moving his mother up here,but she is in her 90s, so he decided to move back to Tyler and continue working.

He left KUSA for WXIA and then came back to Denver at KMGH. Now he's at KYTX. He never retired. I know that he was considering moving his mother up here,but she is in her 90s, so he decided to move back to Tyler and continue working.

You guys forgot one thing, Mike was main anchor at Washington DC's FOX O&O WTTG.

• Like 2

Latest on the Lone Star Group:

Launch dates are tentative at this point, and it really just comes down to how we end up building these graphic templates in Chyron.

Also, we will not have a rundown on screen like the rest of the Gannett stations.

KYTX: March 16

KCEN/KAGS: March 21 (This is a Saturday for some reason, I'm not sure why)

KBMT: April 13

KIII: April 15

KIDY/KXVA: April 20

As for websites, I'm not sure about the other stations, but KIDY/KXVA is stuck with World Now until January 2016.

According to this Facebook video, KAGS Gannett Graphics debut (previewed here) has been pushed until Monday 3/23. No word if that includes KCEN.

I'll admit that the banners being a different size would cause my OCD to explode. I'm making sure that does not happen here. I'm thinking they're sized differently because KYTX was a little behind last week before their launch on Monday, so they may have been in a rush and simply downloaded some templates from various other Gannett stations with the WSI select on demand website. We have done that too, but again I'm going into WSI and sizing everything appropriately.

Branding wise, I'll just say that vertical logos are hard to work with in this type of design. We're keeping our brand/logo style, overall it blends fairly well, but there are issues with the bug and the size of our logo.

I sort of anticipated that KYTX would change over to CBS19.

Here you can definitely see their weather graphics and how bad it looks. It almost gives it a powerpoint look...

1. You can see how narrow the Live Banner is compared to the banner that comes up after it.

2.The SATRAD banner time is static too -- it should be looping with the actual image. The water vap slide clearly is looping, but not the SATRAD?

3. Their computer model banner (Hour by Hour Planner) is skewed and out of place in comparison to ALL the other slides. I mean totally different.

4. On the Dayplanner slide, the font looks a hair too big. If you look carefully, it almost looks as if the degree symbol is static to the slide, but the numbers aren't, because their cutting off a sliver of the degree symbol.

Hopefully everything evens out over the next few weeks, and hopefully KAGS/KCEN will have a better rollout with the extra few days they had.