TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

I'll take that as a yes.

Considering that This is Home is their mothership overlord theme corprorate branding, the most likely and obvious answer is yes. The better question would be, will the LSG group use similar cuts to try and all brand as one unit (like the KING group does).

Also, Al-SA-TX, any word on any improvements/additions to TXCN with the addition of more resources?

Logo tweak for WWL? This just popped on their social media accounts. No change on-air or on their website.

Looks more Gannett-ized than a substantial change from their previous logo iteration, especially with the color bars. Looks nice nonetheless.

Latest on the Lone Star Group:

Launch dates are tentative at this point, and it really just comes down to how we end up building these graphic templates in Chyron.

Also, we will not have a rundown on screen like the rest of the Gannett stations.

KYTX: March 16

KCEN/KAGS: March 21 (This is a Saturday for some reason, I'm not sure why)

KBMT: April 13

KIII: April 15

KIDY/KXVA: April 20

As for websites, I'm not sure about the other stations, but KIDY/KXVA is stuck with World Now until January 2016.

And as for their (or at least most of their) music cuts here's which ones I think they should have:

morning opens:

noon and 4 p.m. opens

5 p.m.-6 p.m. opens:

(10 seconds into the video)

10 p.m. (nightbeat) opens and most of their promos:

(14 seconds into the video)

Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQGqc5FX9y4

They might have different cuts than my suggestions, but it's their decisions on what cuts they'll implement on their stations.

And as for their (or at least most of their) music cuts here's which ones I think they should have:

morning opens:

noon and 4 p.m. opens

5 p.m.-6 p.m. opens:

10 p.m. (nightbeat) opens and most of their promos:

(14 seconds into the video)

Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQGqc5FX9y4

They might have different cuts than my suggestions, but it's their decisions on what cuts they'll implement on their stations.

If it were me, all of the Lone Star stations (both ex-Belo and ex-London) should use the version WFAA is using.

5 p.m.-6 p.m. opens:

Unrelated to the cut of music am I thinly one who thinks it's weird that their open states that WTSP's newscast in HD sponsored by Bright House? I think it's a bit tacky. I hate sponsored segments but I understand it's needed in this day and age as stations need to make money in any way possible. I would honestly prefer if the sponsors logo is unobtrusive and not mentioned.

I also would like it if stations stop pushing their newscast is in HD. I can understand the need to point it out if you just switched to make a point to tell viewers to go to the HD channel but it's a bit ridiculous to make a point of it in your next graphics update. The only exception I would make for promoting HD is if Nielsen provides a break down of viewers by source (HD/SD/Provider) and that the HD feed was significantly lower compared to the HD market penetration. I feel like that and the CC logo that appears on WPVI isn't needed any more on newscasts as CC is required by law. As far as I know WPVI is the only one with the CC caption in their open in this day and age.

I can't speak for the other stations, but I'm using a cut that none of the other gannett stations use. I'm honestly really surprised this cut hasn't been used before.

Got a video?

Unrelated to the cut of music am I (the only) one who thinks it's weird that their open states that WTSP's newscast in HD sponsored by Bright House? I think it's a bit tacky. I hate sponsored segments but I understand it's needed in this day and age as stations need to make money in any way possible. I would honestly prefer if the sponsors logo is unobtrusive and not mentioned.

WKYC has been doing the same thing for close to a decade now. Currently, the Calvetta Brothers Floor Show is the main sponsor.

Oddly enough, the sponsor mention is the only place where the "Channel 3 News" title is shown in the newscast open (WKYC's main logo is otherwise shown).WKYC_Logo_2013.jpg

If it were me, all of the Lone Star stations (both ex-Belo and ex-London) should use the version WFAA is using.

I'd say that they should use that version for the NIghtbeat broadcasts. For the normal broadcasts (if not even the ones I suggested), they should use this version KVUE uses:
this one that News10 Sacremento and 12 News (azcentral) use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQGqc5FX9y4 or this version that KSDK and WBIR use (minus the NBC chimes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYu5dDrUrWE

Special broadcasts and breaking news opens should use this version:

Unrelated to the cut of music am I thinly one who thinks it's weird that their open states that WTSP's newscast in HD sponsored by Bright House? I think it's a bit tacky. I hate sponsored segments but I understand it's needed in this day and age as stations need to make money in any way possible. I would honestly prefer if the sponsors logo is unobtrusive and not mentioned.

WKYC has been doing the same thing for close to a decade now. Currently, the Calvetta Brothers Floor Show is the main sponsor.

Oddly enough, the sponsor mention is the only place where the "Channel 3 News" title is shown in the newscast open (WKYC's main logo is otherwise shown).WKYC_Logo_2013.jpg

As I'm sure both of you know, those are hold-outs from the legacy Gannett days... hell, right before the rainbow blocks in WTSP's opening sequence, you can still see them using the old graphics for the sponsor mention.

What about the KING cuts:

I like the KING cuts. But I just can't see any of them fitting those London stations.

It's been reported that KUSA's Kevin Torres was unexpectedly fired. I've been following him on Twitter/ Instagram since I heard of a stupid plan (and I think sweeps stunt) of an "election" between him and current anchor Kyle Clark to see if the latter should continue anchoring the evening newscasts. It was a stupid contest that for such a large market only received a total of 700 votes. Subsequently I followed them both on twitter and they both seem very nice.

TVSpy quoted the TV reporter of the local newspaper and said that a traffic altercation was related to his firing. I don't know what type of traffic violation that could occur that would result in a reporter being fired with out any mention of it in the press. The day or two before he was fired he posted something on Instagram where he said that only went out to get some craft beer.

Y'all know how TXCN is nowhere near as successful as NWCN? Well just recently, Gannett has announced the end of TXCN on April 1st, and about time too, it's been a joke since 2006. WFAA even reported on this on its website just a few hours ago. http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/texas-news/2015/03/03/txcn-to-sign-off-on-april-1/24341769/

Y'all know how TXCN is nowhere near as successful as NWCN? Well just recently, Gannett has announced the end of TXCN on April 1st, and about time too, it's been a joke since 2006. WFAA even reported on this on its website just a few hours ago. http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/texas-news/2015/03/03/txcn-to-sign-off-on-april-1/24341769/

Good, about time.

And that shutdown ain't no joke. Realize the date it falls on.

Seattle's KING 5 NBC, KONG 6/16 and NWCN will be moving its operations to Home Plate Center. Once the building its complete, KING, KONG, and NWCN will occupy

the first three floors from the North Building.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/seattle/2015/03/04/king-5-to-relocate-in-seattles-sodo-neighborhood/24404215/

I can't speak for the other stations, but I'm using a cut that none of the other gannett stations use. I'm honestly really surprised this cut hasn't been used before.

There's a video here called "This is Home - News/Vocal" which has a cut that appears twice. I have yet to hear that one on any Gannett station but I'm not sure if that's the same cut that you're referring to that hasn't been used before. If not, can you please send in a video of or a link to it if you have either?

Latest on the Lone Star Group:

Launch dates are tentative at this point, and it really just comes down to how we end up building these graphic templates in Chyron.

Also, we will not have a rundown on screen like the rest of the Gannett stations.

KYTX: March 16

KCEN/KAGS: March 21 (This is a Saturday for some reason, I'm not sure why)

KBMT: April 13

KIII: April 15

KIDY/KXVA: April 20

As for websites, I'm not sure about the other stations, but KIDY/KXVA is stuck with World Now until January 2016.

Have there been any promos that showcase the This is Home graphics for any of the Lone Star stations, or at least for KYTX and KCEN/KAGS since they're going to have them first?