TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

225px-Wxia11alive.png 175px-WXIA-11Alive-1993.jpg

Present Day circa 1993

This Roman 11logo been on WXIA since 1993, and yes they need an updated logo....

l.jpg

So does KSDK and this logo has also been around since 1993.

The logos for both stations are fine IMO. It's the tacking on of the NBC peacock that just doesn't work... and that's more than likely due to the terms of their NBC affiliation contracts.

The logos for both stations are fine IMO. It's the tacking on of the NBC peacock that just doesn't work... and that's more than likely due to the terms of their NBC affiliation contracts.

The peacock is much harder to integrate into a logo with all its various colors. That said NBC was the first of the Big Three (as soon as the mid-90s) to really begin pushing its affiliates to brand as "NBC Stations". It helped that network branding really was a necessity after all the massive affiliation switches.

Thinking about this for a little bit, it was probably no surprise that Fox probably has the strictest branding agreement with its affiliates, coming along in 1986 when the other networks had 30, 40 plus years of history behind them. Fox needed to get their branding out to people as heavily as possible. (And likewise in 1994-95 when they flipped so many Big Three stations to their network).

Thinking about this for a little bit, it was probably no surprise that Fox probably has the strictest branding agreement with its affiliates, coming along in 1986 when the other networks had 30, 40 plus years of history behind them. Fox needed to get their branding out to people as heavily as possible. (And likewise in 1994-95 when they flipped so many Big Three stations to their network).

And to bring the discussion full circle, that will be an important thought as G3 has to incorporate those strict Fox standards into their first FOX affiliates, KXVA and KIDY.

And to bring the discussion full circle, that will be an important thought as G3 has to incorporate those strict Fox standards into their first FOX affiliates, KXVA and KIDY.

And they will, probably by incorperating the FOX Abilene and FOX San Angelo brandings and their current logos into their updated graphics. Only thing is, what about their website? Will it still have the domain "www.myfoxzone.com", but with the look of the USA Today website?

And they will, probably by incorperating the FOX Abilene and FOX San Angelo brandings and their current logos into their updated graphics. Only thing is, what about their website? Will it still have the domain "www.myfoxzone.com", but with the look of the USA Today website?

the myfoxzone domain is leased from Fox, so it remains to be seen if it stays. based on the domain whois info, it expires in july of this year, so there is at least a possibility of Fox not renewing it for Gannett's use.

It's entirely up to each station to keep the L3 onscreen or have it disappear.

KSDK must've decided to have it disappear because I'm watching their newscast tonight and the L3 still disappears. The annoying thing is that the rundown disappears with the L3. That seems to make the rundown seem more pointless than it already is.

KSDK must've decided to have it disappear because I'm watching their newscast tonight and the L3 still disappears. The annoying thing is that the rundown disappears with the L3. That seems to make the rundown seem more pointless than it already is.

Then KSDK must not know how to take the L3 down while leaving the rundown up. Or their director is coding the show wrong. Because at KENS, they can do both.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Most of the time during the story, they usually just leave the lower third up. They only take it down during the weather or teases.

image1_1.jpg

Then KSDK must not know how to take the L3 down while leaving the rundown up. Or their director is coding the show wrong. Because at KENS, they can do both.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Most of the time during the story, they usually just leave the lower third up. They only take it down during the weather or teases.

image1_1.jpg

This just reminds me of how much I dislike the rotation of their bug from KENS5 to Eyewitness News.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image1_1.jpg

is everything done in production control? I don't know about Gannett's package if elements (like time/temp and crawl) is done at master or done on another engine in production.

is everything done in production control? I don't know about Gannett's package if elements (like time/temp and crawl) is done at master or done on another engine in production.

Not sure about the others but at KENS yes. They have always added in newscast bugs etc. in their PCR

I wonder why KENS doesn't drop their logo bug during the weather forecasts. At the very least they need to make it where the weather graphics aren't blocked by the bug. This reminds me of this image I saw an editor at abc news post. ]

I wonder why KENS doesn't drop their logo bug during the weather forecasts. At the very least they need to make it where the weather graphics aren't blocked by the bug. This reminds me of this image I saw an editor at abc news post.

It seems to be a Gannett thing. Or at least an ex-Belo thing. KVUE leaves theirs up during the weather segments, and I think I remember seeing that WFAA left theirs up the last time I was in Dallas.

It seems to be a Gannett thing. Or at least an ex-Belo thing. KVUE leaves theirs up during the weather segments, and I think I remember seeing that WFAA left theirs up the last time I was in Dallas.

At least one of the legacy Gannett stations (WKYC) keeps its bug on during the weather.

Latest on the Lone Star Group:

Launch dates are tentative at this point, and it really just comes down to how we end up building these graphic templates in Chyron.

Also, we will not have a rundown on screen like the rest of the Gannett stations.

KYTX: March 16

KCEN/KAGS: March 21 (This is a Saturday for some reason, I'm not sure why)

KBMT: April 13

KIII: April 15

KIDY/KXVA: April 20

As for websites, I'm not sure about the other stations, but KIDY/KXVA is stuck with World Now until January 2016.

Latest on the Lone Star Group:

Launch dates are tentative at this point, and it really just comes down to how we end up building these graphic templates in Chyron.

Also, we will not have a rundown on screen like the rest of the Gannett stations.

KYTX: March 16

KCEN/KAGS: March 21 (This is a Saturday for some reason, I'm not sure why)

KBMT: April 13

KIII: April 15

KIDY/KXVA: April 20

As for websites, I'm not sure about the other stations, but KIDY/KXVA is stuck with World Now until January 2016.

I'm assuming they'll adopt the "This Is Home" package when they launch the updated graphics (but without the rundown) on the listed dates.