TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

...except they can't. Per the contract:

In essence, ABC wants all affiliates to be semi-O&Os, just without the network having to operate the stations.

I would tuck in the ABC bug to the lower right corner not unlike how WXYZ and WKBW display it...

I'm beginning to wonder if ABC wants a specific size ratio of their logos on the affiliates logo. It seems like the affiliates whose logos are circular all have similar proportions.

I'm beginning to wonder if ABC wants a specific size ratio of their logos on the affiliates logo. It seems like the affiliates whose logos are circular all have similar proportions.

hdr_branding.jpg

Looks like Raycom convinced ABC that the size of the circle on this station logo would be passable (until a new affil contract?); now about that circle-7 stroke width....

Thank Disney for this corporate whoring outside the O&Os.

I find it pathetic they think dictating the affiliates what they can or can't brand is right.

Its not new either.

Fox is even more strict and even threatened to pull their affiliation with a few stations over branding. Part of the frosty relationship with KTVU was over the lack of the Fox branding and Fox threatened to buy KIRO and move the affiliation from KCPQ partially over disputes with branding.

Luckily WSVN is tops in ratings or Fox would be getting on them too.

Only thing is, what about KBMT in Beaumont and its subchannel K-JAC, KYTX in Tyler, KCEN in Waco, KXVA in Abilene, and KIDY in San Angelo? How would each of their logos look like once they get the Gannett graphics?

As far as KYTX, I would guess there would be some kind of horizontal move, at least for the opens, newscast L3s, and in-news bumpers; since the current logoing tends to be more vertical. Even if there isn't a real logo change, I guess they could use the other part of the horizontal space for the titles ('This Morning', 'at 6', 'at 10' (or even the 'Ten @ 10' labeling used in the past that I feel has been unnecessary), etc.), and/or the KYTX call letters. For the opens, if they are anything like the passing squares/cubes used on WFAA's opens, I would guess the requisite roses and azaleas (floral icons that each have their own big annual festivals in Tyler) would figure in somehow, as well as the Tyler skyline.

But, we don't know what the final product will be on the appearance and L3 tweaking that is supposedly to come--that should affect any logo presentation (more space, less space, what?) decision for each of the remaining stations.

Its not new either.

Fox is even more strict and even threatened to pull their affiliation with a few stations over branding. Part of the frosty relationship with KTVU was over the lack of the Fox branding and Fox threatened to buy KIRO and move the affiliation from KCPQ partially over disputes with branding.

Luckily WSVN is tops in ratings or Fox would be getting on them too.

That, and Fox may be simply biding their time on WSVN. Ed Ansin is, what... in his 90s?

Fox really was the first network to have a clear branding mandate (using the network logo and name with the station logo and name), which dates back to when the former MetroMedia stations were rebranded as "Fox" stations. The former WNEW-TV was colloquially known for decades as "MetroMedia Channel 5," which became "Fox Television Channel 5" as WNYW months before the Fox network even began broadcasting.

Fox, MyTV and the CW usually have strict branding conventions, but CBS, NBC and ABC generally limit their branding conventions for affiliates to logo placement.

Quick Update:

New Gannett Stations (ex-belo) will roll-out the updated lowerthirds/split screens etc. on Tuesday, January 20th during the noon/midday show.

The Original Gannett stations will roll them out on Wednesday, January 21st during the noon/midday show.

No word on the Lone Star Group. I assume the timeline remains around late March/April.

Uh wait - why would Fox want to buy WSVN?

If they had a strategy of buying high performing FOX stations in large markets, I could certainly see it happening. However it is not and Miami by virtue of the conference of their football team does not fit, therefore it won't happen.

Quick Update:

New Gannett Stations (ex-belo) will roll-out the updated lowerthirds/split screens etc. on Tuesday, January 20th during the noon/midday show.

The Original Gannett stations will roll them out on Wednesday, January 21st during the noon/midday show.

No word on the Lone Star Group. I assume the timeline remains around late March/April.

Are there going to be any logo updates or changes for any of the Gannett stations (new or original) that will go along with the updated lower thirds and split screens?

Uh wait - why would Fox want to buy WSVN?

If they had a strategy of buying high performing FOX stations in large markets, I could certainly see it happening. However it is not and Miami by virtue of the conference of their football team does not fit, therefore it won't happen.

Although, when WSVN inevitably gets sold, the new owners will probably be forced to rebrand the station as "Fox 7." It won't be "WSVN 7" forever...

So did WFAA, just watching their midday news right now.

And so did KVUE and all the other former Belo stations (though WFAA could still use KVUE's cut for its opens), and tomorrow the other stations will do the same, but I still wonder about 11alive's logo when they update their graphics.

Only thing is, what about KBMT in Beaumont and its subchannel K-JAC, KYTX in Tyler, KCEN in Waco, KXVA in Abilene, and KIDY in San Angelo? How would each of their logos look like once they get the Gannett graphics?

I think it would be like this : http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/14436-mocks-that-ive-made/?p=127224

slight change, but still the same overkill of color coded stories and format where the viewers have no time to spend with their stations. (Assuming if the rundown still exists.)

I think the stations I mentioned (Lone Star stations) will have the said rundown, but with the updated graphics that will have reached all Gannett stations by tomorrow.