TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

tickers were fun for morning shows (and prior to 9/11) when a CG operator had to manually enter stories. One sentence or two with a semicolon split. Now with news being ripped off via RSS wires, there is no requirement of needing to write spiffy and quick stories. Just ask the people who run the ticker at the Fox News Channel. That to me is more annoying. Gannett's look was and always been busy for the viewer that isn't loyal to their newscast as say a competitor.

I would prefer that the local stations in my market relied on the AP wire, the local stations don't seem to summarize news as well. I think writing three sentences for a simple story is a bit excessive.

Any updates on the new graphic and website makeover for the Ex-London Stations. I watch KIII in Corpus Christi and they still have not updated thier graphics or website, although recently they did post a newly polished version of thier Iconic Cirlcle 3 logo.

From AI-SA-TX who, I believe is at one of the Lone-Star (ex-London) Stations:

Rollouts will start the second week in January for the Original & New Gannett Groups. This update is only for the lowerthirds. They won't be taking up much of the screen anymore, time and temp will be relocated. I'm sure viewers will like the updated format.

The Lone Star Stations (London) will start the transition to the Gannett graphics package starting in January, but probably won't roll out until the mid March or even April.

Yes that is the logo i am talking about and i agree it will look good with gannett. Although, i wonder how it will look if they decide on adding the ABC logo with it. Which i heard might happen.

I've come up with some concepts that show how the KIII logo could be used on the Gannett graphics.

DvUr9NX.jpg

Wow that actually looks really good!

The Without ABC is probably my favorite, and the one I can see in my head the most on animation. Anyone know if they are under a recent ABC affiliation agreement -- I think those are the ones that require the co-branding.

The Without ABC is probably my favorite, and the one I can see in my head the most on animation. Anyone know if they are under a recent ABC affiliation agreement -- I think those are the ones that require the co-branding.

I like all of them, but i agree the one without the ABC logo is the best. As for the question im really not sure, all i know is that they have always been ABC.

I like all of them, but i agree the one without the ABC logo is the best. As for the question im really not sure, all i know is that they have always been ABC.

Never mind; Gannett just executed one in October, meaning they will update the logo to use the ABC button, per the terms of the Affiliate agreement.

London did have one for them from 2011, but they didn't have to add the logo unless they did a graphic update.

It looks good, it will take some getting use to. Question: Why is ABC finally making KIII get the ABC logo if they never had it?

Part of the affiliation contract the stations have with ABC require "prominent cobranding" with the network, including adding the ABC logo element at their graphics refresh. Because we know that the G-Team is going to refresh the graphics when they roll out This Is Home, they are now required to add that ABC logo.

(The one I linked to is KIII's London contract from 2011. I'm like 99% sure nothing has changed except the reimbursement rates.)

If this was me, I would only put the ABC logo on all programming except for newscasts and local programming. If I was forced to add their logo, I make sure that the two logos never touch.

...except they can't. Per the contract:

Co-branding encompasses, but is not limited to the inclusion of the ABC corporate logo in Station's local identification, and encompasses all on-air (e.g., during all dayparts, graphics, voice over, etc.) and off-air (e.g., signage, print, cable, radio, outdoor, website and other digital media, etc.) promotion.

In essence, ABC wants all affiliates to be semi-O&Os, just without the network having to operate the stations.