TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Goodbye to the only weather subchannel in Phoenix that I actually used on occasion.

These media companies should not be coming up with new and redundant diginets until ATSC 3.0 is reality and there is enough bandwidth for them all.

If they are waiting for ATSC 3.0 they might never launch.

This should work out perfect for WFAA since they're losing LiveWell at pretty much the same time.

As for a station like KYTX, which already has 3 channels to juggle (CBS, CW, Cozi TV) plus it LMAs the 3 channels KCEB has (MeTV, MundoFox, This TV), I wonder what they would do. Get rid of This and move Cozi to KCEB? Get rid of Cozi?

Even though there are plenty of true-crime shows and police procedurals out there, how much demand would there be for a subchannel like Justice? Especially since there are other diginets already out there that don't see the light of day in several markets. .

I thought KYTX and KCEB were pretty much "divorced" now. If they aren't they have to be really close as London is/was hiring for a "very small" KCEB office in Tyler. And, Gannett acquired the MeTV programming with the KYTX purchase leading to a swap of Cozi and MeTV between KYTX and KCEB last month.

To the questions at hand. My guess is they either shoehorn a fourth diginet onto KYTX or it doesn't launch in Tyler. The article did make mention that "Gannett Broadcasting will make Justice Network’s television content available in virtually all of the markets in its U.S. footprint." So, I'm interpreting that to mean there will be a few Gannett markets without Justice Network at launch. And, if you were to single out a few of those markets several of the old London stations would stand out as they are already a bit crowded with subchannels.

Most networks, stations and station groups are starting to realize diginets are a way to make some extra cash. It could be "monetizing" an old programming library like NBCU, Fox and CBS have done with Cozi, Movies! and Decades respectively. They could "lease" the subchannel out to a network like GetTV. Or, they could rely solely on advertising revenue (and potentially retrans revenue if the network is popular enough.) In any case they are pretty cheap to run for the network and provide the opportunity for a little revenue for the stations.

Thanx for the update Thundershock. I must have missed the recent net swap announcement. The other link about London and KCEB has a link to KCEB between "Work For Us" and "Open Positions" but it maps to KYTX's site. For grins, I tried the old kceb.tv website, and it still exists, but refers to CW info (CW programs used to be on KCEB's main .1 channel) and KYTX specifically--even referencing KYTX's previous Spanish subchannel with its Azteca America affiliation.

Either way, it will be interesting to see if Justice ends up on KYTX somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

KREM made their graphics change today at 5pm. Didn't use the same cut as KING. And their weather graphics seem to still be the old ones.....

And an entire month later, the weather department is STILL using the old graphics....

http://www.krem.com/story/weather/2014/11/03/katies-local-forecast/18402557/

• 2 weeks later...

I have insider confirmation that G3pO will receive an update.

Rollouts will start the second week in January for the Original & New Gannett Groups. This update is only for the lowerthirds. They won't be taking up much of the screen anymore, time and temp will be relocated. I'm sure viewers will like the updated format.

The Lone Star Stations (London) will start the transition to the Gannett graphics package starting in January, but probably won't roll out until the mid March or even April.

Rollouts will start the second week in January for the Original & New Gannett Groups. This update is only for the lowerthirds. They won't be taking up much of the screen anymore, time and temp will be relocated. I'm sure viewers will like the updated format.

The Lone Star Stations (London) will start the transition to the Gannett graphics package starting in January, but probably won't roll out until the mid March or even April.

Will they still get chopped off the screen?

KUSA has been using these updated lower thirds. I think they debuted this week, though I don't watch every newscast in town everyday like my former crazed self, so I can't be sure when. Everything also slides up a line when they turn on the ticker beneath the rundown. There's also a little bit of animation to that new blue stroke in the bug.

I like that they take up less space, though since none of the other graphics were updated, these lower thirds are misaligned with everything else, which can look messy, especially in the double boxes.

Has any other Gannett station adopted these? If not, this is probably the first time KUSA has gotten anything new graphics-wise before any other station.

16049508892_62222076dd_c.jpg

KUSA has been using these updated lower thirds. I think they debuted this week, though I don't watch every newscast in town everyday like my former crazed self, so I can't be sure when. Everything also slides up a line when they turn on the ticker beneath the rundown. There's also a little bit of animation to that new blue stroke in the bug.

I like that they take up less space, though since none of the other graphics were updated, these lower thirds are misaligned with everything else, which can look messy, especially in the double boxes.

Has any other Gannett station adopted these? If not, this is probably the first time KUSA has gotten anything new graphics-wise before any other station.

about time they updated it, because I like the time temp location and the live bug looks bigger. But it seems like the crawl has been axed, so will there be crawlspace when others get the change?

I'm told the misalignment on the other graphics (including weather graphics) will be addressed at a later time, but yes this is the updated format. Interesting that they're using them already, definitely appears KUSA is the testing site.

As for the gradient, viewers didn't like the sliver of video underneath the the rundown. I personally don't like it, but it doesn't bother me any.

I always hated the rundown and felt it was worthless to viewers. They should have kept the ticker.

As was stated, the ticker is still there. The rundown, lower third, and bug now slide up when they use the ticker instead of having a blank space at the bottom for it. KUSA just happened to not be using a ticker in that shot.

tickers were fun for morning shows (and prior to 9/11) when a CG operator had to manually enter stories. One sentence or two with a semicolon split. Now with news being ripped off via RSS wires, there is no requirement of needing to write spiffy and quick stories. Just ask the people who run the ticker at the Fox News Channel. That to me is more annoying. Gannett's look was and always been busy for the viewer that isn't loyal to their newscast as say a competitor.