TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Gannett and ABC Set New Affiliation Deal

from TV Newscheck.com:

Gannett Broadcasting and ABC have agreed to renew the affiliation agreements of all of Gannett’s ABC stations.

This puts the recently expanded Gannett ABC portfolio under a common, long-term affiliation agreement.

"This agreement is the result of a collaborative effort on the part of both companies," said Dave Lougee, president of Gannett Broadcasting, "and positions both of us for the near and long term on multiple forms of distribution."

"We're very pleased to extend our agreements with the Gannett-owned ABC Stations," said John Rouse, senior vice president of affiliate relations for the ABC Television Network. "Gannett is a strong and important partner of the ABC Television Network, and we look forward to continuing our long-time collaboration with them."

Thati ncluded WFAA-TV Dallas in my area, Gannett Current ABC Larger Market.

:wub: :agree: :agree:

Has KREM switched on air graphics? It looks like they have... Confirmation anyone?

They switched this weekend. I haven't seen anyone with screen grabs/youtube of it, but it was confirmed earlier in this thread.

Any signs of former London stations switching soon?

Likely not going to happen until after the new year. It's my understanding G3 is working on an update for the graphics that include modification of the information bar, line up, etc. Don't get your hopes up, it's not a relaunch.

I think they want to roll out the updated stuff to the Lone Star Stations (this is what the ex London stations are referred to) rather than launching the old stuff and then turning around and update them with changes they're making.

Also, there is the fact that we all use Chyron for our on-air graphics, and the other Gannett stations don't use chyron, if I remember correctly. It's going to take time to get the proper equipment (and help for us smaller markets who don't have an IT Dept) to run this kind of setup.

As for Presto, I don't think any of us have been informed on that either.

Likely not going to happen until after the new year. It's my understanding G3 is working on an update for the graphics that include modification of the information bar, line up, etc. Don't get your hopes up, it's not a relaunch.

I think they want to roll out the updated stuff to the Lone Star Stations (this is what the ex London stations are referred to) rather than launching the old stuff and then turning around and update them with changes they're making.

Also, there is the fact that we all use Chyron for our on-air graphics, and the other Gannett stations don't use chyron, if I remember correctly. It's going to take time to get the proper equipment (and help for us smaller markets who don't have an IT Dept) to run this kind of setup.

You almost seem like the updates that G3 plans on rolling out seems to be based on the MOS coding behind the scenes, seeing as you state that it is not a relaunch.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the other Gannett stations use Deko for graphics?

You almost seem like the updates that G3 plans on rolling out seems to be based on the MOS coding behind the scenes, seeing as you state that it is not a relaunch.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the other Gannett stations use Deko for graphics?

As I understand it, they're modifying the size of some of those things to accommodate viewer feedback.

I think most use Deko/Axis, but I believe the Belo stations were able to code their Miranda systems to work.

As I understand it, they're modifying the size of some of those things to accommodate viewer feedback.

I think most use Deko/Axis, but I believe the Belo stations were able to code their Miranda systems to work.

What I would like to see done is for them to place the time and temperature down in the ticker, place the LIVE bug (you could also use the location to denote exclusives as well) where the the and temp was previously and finally make a larger area for the stations logo and hashtag through the upcoming story bar.

I'm on my iPad but thinking of this as a text based version of the table where the station is either live on scene or has an exclusive:

INFORMATION BAR LEVEL 1 LIVE/EXCLUSIVE BUG

INFORMATION BAR LEVEL 2 LOGO/HASHTAG

UPCOMING STORY 1, STORY 2 & STORY 3 LOGO/HASHTAG

TICKER W/ HEADLINES, WX, TRAFFIC TIME/TEMP

Here's how I would visualize the graphics if they were relying on prerecorded packages and I plan on using the LIVE bug space for a larger logo that changes sizes/orientations as needed:

INFORMATION BAR LEVEL 1 LOGO/HASHTAG

INFORMATION BAR LEVEL 2 LOGO/HASHTAG

UPCOMING STORY 1, STORY 2 & STORY 3 LOGO/HASHTAG

TICKER W/ HEADLINES, WX, TRAFFIC TIME/TEMP

Okay here's the quick mock up that I had in mind for a tiny change in the Gannett Graphics package.The first image will be used when they are live on scene or have an exclusive story. The second image will be used when they are live in the studio and do not need to include a live bug so the logo will change to the bigger version. After the anchor's introductions are done and are not needed on screen that row will merge the two columns to for supplementary information as level 2.

gannet-graphics-mock-wbal.png

Lone Star Stations (this is what the ex London stations are referred to)

yay out of state companies who want to continue to contribute to the various stereotypes of Texas... The reality is outside of the license plates and government documents nobody uses the motto around here...

rkolsen, on 30 Oct 2014 - 01:28 AM, said:

Okay here's the quick mock up that I had in mind for a tiny change in the Gannett Graphics package.The first image will be used when they are live on scene or have an exclusive story. The second image will be used when they are live in the studio and do not need to include a live bug so the logo will change to the bigger version. After the anchor's introductions are done and are not needed on screen that row will merge the two columns to for supplementary information as level 2.

gannet-graphics-mock-wbal.png

I know you're a fanboy of WBAL but you couldn't have found a Gannett station's logo to use?

yay out of state companies who want to continue to contribute to the various stereotypes of Texas... The reality is outside of the license plates and government documents nobody uses the motto around here...

rkolsen, on 30 Oct 2014 - 01:28 AM, said:

I know you're a fanboy of WBAL but you couldn't have found a Gannett station's logo to use?

Those two were the only logos that I have (masters of) that have a larger vertical logo in addition to a horizontal logo. But ideally that is how I would like to see the lower thirds layer out.

Those two were the only logos that I have (masters of) that have a larger vertical logo in addition to a horizontal logo. But ideally that is how I would like to see the lower thirds layer out.

They don't work now, they won't work that way either. I want them to update it so that way the graphics do not get chopped off on my screen but that won't happen. The mentality of these designers and most of the people here is watch it in HD or watch it with black bars hogging up screen space. The reality is the majority of viewers have ol' reliable tube TVs and I want the entire screen filled without information getting chopped off. Even Sinclair's new package is designed a lot better than Gannett's. It'll be interesting to see how the stations here will adopt them when they do.

It wouldn't surprise me if they change the web address away from myfoxzone.com. First off they're leasing the domain from Fox. Second I never understood why that's their web address to begin with. Yes I know that's what they began using under Bayou City but it really needed to go when they went to news.

I know they need something generic to accommodate the two stations technically in two DMAs. So let's see what Gannett cooks up for them...

Also I saw Molly Garrity transferred from KREM to KIDY? So, is she replacing Jenna Rogers or something? I think Rogers has been gone for months. Also I don't get why you would move from a decent sized market like Spokane to San Angelo, but to each their own, right?

Exclusive: Gannett Expands Election Coverage

More than 50 debates will have been broadcast and streamed by election day. Web-exclusive election night coverage will stream across Gannett’s digital platforms.

from TV Newscheck.com:

Gannett Broadcasting said today it is expanding political coverage across broadcast, Web and social media to provide viewers with “increased information ahead of the midterm elections on Nov. 4.”

Overall, nearly half of all U.S. Senate and gubernatorial races are taking place in Gannett Broadcasting markets, including six of 11 toss-ups in the Senate and six of 11 key races for governor.

"The midterm elections are local stories with national impact and Gannett is covering all the key races in our local markets," said Dave Lougee, president, Gannett Broadcasting. "Our responsibility is to inform and educate the electorate and our stations have done a great job of cutting through the noise and providing viewers with the important information they need to know."

As part of Gannett Broadcasting's expanded election coverage, Gannett stations have produced exclusive and extended content educating viewers on the candidates, races and issues impacting their local communities. Coverage includes:

• "Truth Testing" political statements, speeches and ads. At KUSA Denver, for example, the station analyzed the accuracy and truth behind approximately 50 ads to date, with several more to go before Election Day. The station will compile all those segments into a one hour special broadcast to air this Saturday, Nov. 1.

• Increased coverage during newscasts including at Gannett's 10 stations across Texas, which cover 83% of TV households in the state. The stations have teamed up to provide widespread coverage of races across Texas and will continue to share resources on Election Night including live reports from each market.

• Specially produced shows focused on local races and issues. For example, KUSA aired Balance of Power, a 30-minute program featuring guests and political analysis, once a month since May with two shows in October.

• Broadcasting, producing, hosting and streaming over 50 debates across the country including WMAZ Macon, Ga., which sponsored and produced the only two debates for U.S. Senate in the state as well as a debate for governor. WXIA Atlanta teamed with WMAZ to cover the debates.

• Dedicated, exclusive and in-depth coverage on the web and social media. For example, KARE Minneapolis is running extended candidate interviews online as part of its Voting Guide, which contains very detailed analysis of Congressional, Senate and gubernatorial races. WKYC Cleveland has produced a Web-only perspective series focused on key issues such as early voting and voter accessibility while WFAA Dallas produced weekly exclusive Web-only interviews with candidates.

Gannett Broadcasting is also livestreaming web exclusive election night coverage. Produced by Gannett's Video Production Center (VPC), with Gannett Broadcasting and USA Today, the livestream will cover all the big races for the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives as well as they key races for governor across the country.

Each market with major races will provide live and taped reports and the online stream will go to live local coverage, when warranted. Beginning at 8 p.m. ET, coverage will run throughout the night and into the early morning until all they key races are decided. The special live Election Night coverage will be viewable across mobile, tablet and desktop devices on USAToday.com, all Gannett Broadcasting websites and across many of Gannett's U.S. Community Publishing sites.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

• 2 weeks later...

A new crime-mystery related digi-net entitled, the "Justice Network", will be launching in January on the Gannett stations.

I wouldn't be shocking if it launched, at the same time Live Well shuts down completely.

Goodbye to the only weather subchannel in Phoenix that I actually used on occasion.

These media companies should not be coming up with new and redundant diginets until ATSC 3.0 is reality and there is enough bandwidth for them all.

This should work out perfect for WFAA since they're losing LiveWell at pretty much the same time.

As for a station like KYTX, which already has 3 channels to juggle (CBS, CW, Cozi TV) plus it LMAs the 3 channels KCEB has (MeTV, MundoFox, This TV), I wonder what they would do. Get rid of This and move Cozi to KCEB? Get rid of Cozi?

Even though there are plenty of true-crime shows and police procedurals out there, how much demand would there be for a subchannel like Justice? Especially since there are other diginets already out there that don't see the light of day in several markets. .

A new crime-mystery related digi-net entitled, the "Justice Network", will be launching in January on the Gannett stations.

They have a promo on their website, and in it there's something that catches my eye. Does this lower third look familiar to y'all?

1c96f4ca9760178f53c265f7d310bcc8.png

(A badly cropped FOX O&O lower third)

They have a promo on their website, and in it there's something that catches my eye. Does this lower third look familiar to y'all?

1c96f4ca9760178f53c265f7d310bcc8.png

(A badly cropped FOX O&O lower third)

Strange.... you'd think IF they had to do L3's in a promo, they might look like, or similar to, those that Gannett wants their local station's newscasts to use (BIN, DIN, whatever it's called)--not something easily recognizable from a competitor.