TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

It is possible that it's not a custom signature but rather just a musical idea. I've heard pretty crappy edit jobs of This is Home that splice about 3 different cuts together. The KING stations and the Texas stations could be going for uniformity, especially with NWCN and TXCN.

Unfortunately I do not know anyone who has Time Warner Cable anymore so I have no way of seeing how TXCN has been since the Gannett takeover. NWCN is a real 24 hour news station though, TXCN is a joke.

Unfortunately I do not know anyone who has Time Warner Cable anymore so I have no way of seeing how TXCN has been since the Gannett takeover. NWCN is a real 24 hour news station though, TXCN is a joke.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, it would be a bad corporate move to NOT build TXCN into something, especially with an 81% Texas coverage.

I said it before and I'll say it again, TXCN needs to be revamp with new anchors/reporters, meteorologists and sports anchors.

Gannett clearly has the money. There should be no reason they don't dump some into the network.

I hope. TXCN has been a joke since 2006. I also hope they add TXCN to the digital multicast so that way more people can watch them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ever since they dumped their anchors, they went to straight rebroadcasts, didn't they?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ever since they dumped their anchors, they went to straight rebroadcasts, didn't they?

Yes and no. For a while after they dumped the staff, they kept their meteorologists and still did live weather cut-ins from the "Texas Weather Center". They would also run limited "original programming". For instance, TXCN took KVUE's "Does It Work?" segments and made it into a thirty minute show. So some hours would be original programming, and others would be rebroadcasts. However around 2011 they went to straight rebroadcasts only. Considering I watched TXCN a lot in their prime, wow, how the mighty have fallen.

Haven't seen a second of them under Gannett so I don't know what they do now, last time I watched them was in 2011. I do know that Kevin Selle is no longer chief meteorologist there so I don't know who does the weather there still. WFAA's people, maybe?

Yes and no. For a while after they dumped the staff, they kept their meteorologists and still did live weather cut-ins from the "Texas Weather Center". They would also run limited "original programming". For instance, TXCN took KVUE's "Does It Work?" segments and made it into a thirty minute show. So some hours would be original programming, and others would be rebroadcasts. However around 2011 they went to straight rebroadcasts only. Considering I watched TXCN a lot in their prime, wow, how the mighty have fallen.

Haven't seen a second of them under Gannett so I don't know what they do now, last time I watched them was in 2011. I do know that Kevin Selle is no longer chief meteorologist there so I don't know who does the weather there still. WFAA's people, maybe?

I guess if/when Gannett redoes the txcn.com domain in true Presto fashion, then we'll know something is a-brew. Until then...

Sanders' WHAS switched their website over to the Gannett themed website this morning, per their Facebook page, making them the last ex-Belo station to switch to Presto. That leaves only the London Stations for the website and graphics, with the inclusion of KREM on the graphics list.

So for those of us keeping score at home, here's what's left:

KREM - graphics only

KIDY - graphics & website

KXVA - graphics & website

KIII - graphics & website

KCEN - graphics & website

KBMT - graphics & website

KYTX - graphics & website

(red bold are London stations)

I wonder what ex-London station(s) will be first to get the Gannett on-air and web graphics. I would think it will be sooner rather than later...

Well, if I were a betting man, Gannett Digital (the web people) will have the London stations up on Presto before G3 can get them on the graphics, considering KREM still hasn't gotten transitioned yet.

Hey all,

I haven't had the chance to visit in the last few days, only had 5 minutes here and there.

Now, Rampage was simply abysmal.

TIH may be generic and a bit hokey, but there is no realistic way you can compare it to the auditory disaster that was Rampage.

It took me years to grow to liking the Rampage theme, I someone here years back compared it to a "broken fax machine." The Rampage theme at the time kinda got rid of the already mentioned legacy brandings of Denver, Portland, Cinci and Atlanta. All (except for Portland - since Good News was already dated) had some really decent themes. If anything Gannett should've worked with Third Street to compose, since they were known well for the KUSA and KARE 11 music. I could go on...

Just keep in mind. Your opinion. Not everyone.

Yes, in these types of discussions, theres no science, its just the ear of the beholder, you know!

It is that same exact cue!

I still felt that the Deathstar could've had Gari do a 'Spirit of Texas' variant for just WFAA & KHOU. They ain't that cheap to do that.

I noticed all the King stations, even KTVB is using that same opening cue. Even though I'm hoping KREM 2 would shock us, I wouldn't hold my breath.

But Damn! What a summer of this G3 rollout Part 2! I don't think we've talked about the Deathstar this much, since the first infamous standardization in 2008.

RIP Spirit Of Texas for good.

To be quite honest, I think The Spirt would sound horrifically with TIH. I can't imagine the The Sprit with such melody of TIH. TIH's cuts are very tight, less than 5 seconds on opens, so they would also have to be really spiffy.

The writing was obviously on the wall after the Belo deal was announced, it was only a matter of time TIH and everything else would get pushed out.

As I said before, may the best local image ID campaign known as The Spirit of Texas rest in peace. For many years I had associated that with WFAA, but now I give KHOU more credit because they had incorporated the Lone Star Flag into their graphics. Seems to be of all TX markets, Houston in the last 2 decades seemed to be more patriotic in the imaging.

I don't know why, but I like that custom cue so much better than the crap KENS uses (the same cut as the NW cluster). I wouldn't say it sounds "Texas-y" per se, but it does sound very authoritative.

As for the London stations, they all use Stephen Arnold themes. I wonder if they used them on a group wide contract basis similar to Nexstar. If they have a heavy Texas accent to them, I'd say it's more Arnold's style and a coincidence. I will miss Third Coast on KIII though. It definitely fits the market in my opinion, (I've been to Corpus countless times over the past fifteen years for a quick getaway. KIII is the station I usually watch because I can't stand the kiddie corps reporters on channel 6). TiH is a very generic theme in my opinion. It's not as bad as cbs2 makes it out to be, but it also isn't a one-size-fits-all theme. That's why I'm not a big fan of standardization, because certain themes fit certain markets like a glove, and then some are out of place. Like TiH would be very out of place on KIII. But unfortunately standardization is inevitable and here to stay.

Also, unlike most people especially those outside the state, I've never really held the Spirit of Texas in high regard. I'm guessing it's because a station here never really used it long-term. KMOL had it in the late 80's but it was gone by 1991 (at the latest, I can't pinpoint an exact date) when they went to their "Straight Talk, Straight Facts, Straight To You" ad campaign.

I'll admit I give TIH a bad name. But you're description of "one-size-fits-all" is the reason why TIH fails for the most part. Read my earlier reply with the need to be spiffy. On Stephen Arnold though, maybe Gannett should go to him for the next gen theme. I wasn't even a fan of his work till a few years ago, now I have a lot of respect of his work.

Didn't KNSD use that "Straight Talk, Straight Facts, Straight to You" campaign too?

In other news, it DOES appear that the new WHAS website has fixed the audio issues that plagued their live streams on the old site...

About time that ISDN-BRI like connection was abandoned, should've been gone years back. So 1995.

Well, if I were a betting man, Gannett Digital (the web people) will have the London stations up on Presto before G3 can get them on the graphics, considering KREM still hasn't gotten transitioned yet.

Check out KIII's FB page. I hope the constant promotion of shows and asking people "are you watching TV3 right now, because if you're not you're missing..." is a Gannett thing, because KIII used to not do that until after Gannett took over.

Strangely KENS does not do this. But, not a lot happens in Corpus Christi anyway so maybe that's why...

Check out KIII's FB page. I hope the constant promotion of shows and asking people "are you watching TV3 right now, because if you're not you're missing..." is a Gannett thing, because KIII used to not do that until after Gannett took over.

Strangely KENS does not do this. But, not a lot happens in Corpus Christi anyway so maybe that's why...

Well, I saw the Gannette takeover, because groupwide this week, they pushed that #FactsNotFear Ebola campaign... plus they push alot of the "Nation Now" stories through to the stations too.

Also, I thought I'd tell you, "The Spirit" campaign lives on....sorta. WVEC/ABC13 is using the "Spirit of Hampton Roads" in connection with their food drive this Saturday as part of Gannett's "Make a Difference Day". This would be the first time I've seen that slogan used in almost maybe eight or nine years!

Well, I saw the Gannette takeover, because groupwide this week, they pushed that #FactsNotFear Ebola campaign... plus they push alot of the "Nation Now" stories through to the stations too.

Also, I thought I'd tell you, "The Spirit" campaign lives on....sorta. WVEC/ABC13 is using the "Spirit of Hampton Roads" in connection with their food drive this Saturday as part of Gannett's "Make a Difference Day". This would be the first time I've seen that slogan used in almost maybe eight or nine years!

Great, they're partnering with USA Weekend...

Thing is, not everybody's local newspaper carries USA Weekend. Most of them carry Parade (which is the main competitor). Fortunately, my local paper, the Express-News (a Hearst property), actually carries both now but for a long time they just carried Parade. Gannett needs to think these things through before they roll out something like this...

Great, they're partnering with USA Weekend...

Thing is, not everybody's local newspaper carries USA Weekend. Most of them carry Parade (which is the main competitor). Fortunately, my local paper, the Express-News (a Hearst property), actually carries both now but for a long time they just carried Parade. Gannett needs to think these things through before they roll out something like this...

Our local daily runs Parade on weekends as well, but we USA Today is right next to our paper in the checkout line, so at least in this market, it may not be a stretch of epic proportions.

And they've long been pushing USA Today -- as a part of their (new) 4pm show, they have a "In The Headlines" segment featuring headlines from their "publication partners at USA Today".