TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

It's becoming obvious that the Gannett budget ax had fallen *hard* at KHOU.

Fewer live shots from reporters, especially in the early afternoon shows. Instead, they doing more in-studio fronts. This is likely to save on photog/live truck operator overtime.

Supers are showing up more often with misspellings. This likely means they cut some writers and associate producers in the newsroom and that line producers are now responsible for not only stacking, but writing, the majority of their own shows (at least that's what it means at KRIV).

The dawn of automation is becoming more obvious too. Lots of technical glitches.

Still no new graphics, though.

Why would they cut KHOU? It's a top 10 market, oh wait they've been cutting at WUSA , another top 10 market.

One newscast I had watched recently made me feel like I was trapped in a time warp where they did kinda the same thing in the 80s, rare live shots and in studio reports.

The cuts and additional responsibility of producers reminds me similar to WNBC. And we know how that worked...

The Texas Belo years are over...just saw during a commercial break that KHOU will be switching over their graphics on Wednesday. Nothing significant from social media just yet.

Graphics alone, that leaves just KREM (the last of the King Belo cluster) and the London stations.

The Texas Belo years are over...just saw during a commercial break that KHOU will be switching over their graphics on Wednesday. Nothing significant from social media just yet.

Graphics alone, that leaves just KREM (the last of the King Belo cluster) and the London stations.

For me its more of a sad day for that group. Belo from what I know was in big markets, they had some nice assets, but they weren't cheap like a Raycom or a Sinclair, I could be wrong. They had loyalty to their stations. The 2012 graphics and the V 2. of Propulsion had a nice uniqueness to a group level. I'm not that big "all local" kinda guy, but that corporate mandate had sex appeal, substance and quality that for affiliate groups is missing.

Another thing about Gannett mandates is the theme music. Not saying Gari is bad, I like his firm's music, but TIH isn't the strongest, isn't adaptable to the market, and it doesn't shout local like Houston or Dallas or Denver. It's more of a common tagline for the company's goal for their employees being broadcast to their viewers.

Again its worth repeating, but I've always admired The Spirit of Texas - I find that being above " We're 4 New York" campaign (even though I love the NY market mind you.) Seeing that Lone Star flying into the open for KHOU or seeing the words in WFAA's open. To me that was effective branding. Seemed like both stations started to downgrade the tagline a decade ago but kept the signature in their themes. Now KHOU will be the last by noon on Wednesday. You can thank Gannett for that.

Today (assuming) at noon, KHOU launched the new graphics. I caught the open, Bill Ratner voiced over the "Standing for Houston". The TIH theme is on the dramatic side. I don't think they did a package on the new graphics on their noon broadcast. I watched a little because i was getting motion sickness with the spinning stingers. Ok, that was dramatic on my part. It was really annoying if that.

I'd be betting that TIH for the tagline will be limited if not used at all. From knowing the station, it seems they put a vested interest in the "Standing for Houston" - they used it for a few years now; and their CSD's YouTube is active with promos with "Standing for" whatever thing is going in their town.

Dare to mention "list" so is KHOU the last original Belo station to get the on air change?

Today (assuming) at noon, KHOU launched the new graphics. I caught the open, Bill Ratner voiced over the "Standing for Houston". The TIH theme is on the dramatic side. I don't think they did a package on the new graphics on their noon broadcast. I watched a little because i was getting motion sickness with the spinning stingers. Ok, that was dramatic on my part. It was really annoying if that.

I'd be betting that TIH for the tagline will be limited if not used at all. From knowing the station, it seems they put a vested interest in the "Standing for Houston" - they used it for a few years now; and their CSD's YouTube is active with promos with "Standing for" whatever thing is going in their town.

Dare to mention "list" so is KHOU the last original Belo station to get the on air change?

I believe KREM is the last one to change.

I believe KREM is the last ochange.

Now having seen the graphics first hand, I kinda see what everyone is complaining about.

IMO they may as well not even play any music in the open, the bed is so low (aside from the stinger) that's it's almost unnoticeable.

While the banner font is OK, when they add the personal identifier above it, it's too small and hard to read.

Ever since WFAA launched with the new look and music, I've wondered why the intro has an additional signature. I found a clean portion of it linked below as an example.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pr4clk2wkr1v7qz/gari_thisishome_alt.mp3?dl=0

Was the additional 6 notes before the TIH signature a custom commission primarily meant for former "Spirit" of Texas stations??? I realize it's not the same melody, but you can sing or say "The Spirit of Texas" over it..... or perhaps, just a happy coincidence that's much ado about nothin'....

Now having seen the graphics first hand, I kinda see what everyone is complaining about.

IMO they may as well not even play any music in the open, the bed is so low (aside from the stinger) that's it's almost unnoticeable.

While the banner font is OK, when they add the personal identifier above it, it's too small and hard to read.

I was watching it on my iPhone and thought my phone + A/C (yeah its hawt up here) was the problem. But I think you're right.

One of my major complaints (since the beginning) was the names, I don't like how the headline shrinks to add the name then disappear and expand, it should show the name only then go back to the headline.

I still think the most left story is the current one. I think the story is highlighted, it would be easier to follow, but rundowns is for internal use or if you want to watch a dumbed down ESPN show like SC.

I don't like the idea the headlines crawl one story at a time.

Ever since WFAA launched with the new look and music, I've wondered why the intro has an additional signature. I found a clean portion of it linked below as an example.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pr4clk2wkr1v7qz/gari_thisishome_alt.mp3?dl=0

Was the additional 6 notes before the TIH signature a custom commission primarily meant for former "Spirit" of Texas stations??? I realize it's not the same melody, but you can sing or say "The Spirit of Texas" over it..... or perhaps, just a happy coincidence that's much ado about nothin'....

I'll have to take a moment to listen. I'd be surprised if that is the case.

I know this might be an overblown thought, but I wonder how the long time audio ops or CS team at both stations are handling the Gari music. Belo never used Gari music before. I know these people are pros, but it's worth noting somewhat.

General discussion on the graphics: what is the timeline from when they get a call (or email) from Denver to when the graphics go to air? How much collaboration between the local CS crew and the G3C peeps? I've seen the tweets about webinars for the producers, and stuff. And since they push 16:9 for all, I bet equipment had to be replaced. I read a comment on YT that Gannett was pushing strict deadlines, but I'm betting that was heresy. I'm interested if someone has a general knowledge of these things.

General discussion on the graphics: what is the timeline from when they get a call (or email) from Denver to when the graphics go to air? How much collaboration between the local CS crew and the G3C peeps? I've seen the tweets about webinars for the producers, and stuff. And since they push 16:9 for all, I bet equipment had to be replaced. I read a comment on YT that Gannett was pushing strict deadlines, but I'm betting that was heresy. I'm interested if someone has a general knowledge of these things.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if those webinars are recorded videos posted to a BlackBoard type of site. I would think that it would get expensive having to pay overtime for the G3C to have a staffer on hand for at least 58 TV stations/ sessions (I'm assuming some stations would need more than one session.)

Haven't heard it at any other stations, so it may be a custom cut.

I can kind of put "The Spirit of Texas" to that initial signature, though. Gari may have done what it did the the Sinclair signature in Daily News.

even if they add a signature; it still would be classified under my Worst News Themes To Exist. Even with the legacy sound, it would quickly be diluted with the casual, non professional sound that TIH is known for (at least for my ears.)

even if they add a signature; it still would be classified under my Worst News Themes To Exist.

Now, Rampage was simply abysmal.

TIH may be generic and a bit hokey, but there is no realistic way you can compare it to the auditory disaster that was Rampage.

even if they add a signature; it still would be classified under my Worst News Themes To Exist. Even with the legacy sound, it would quickly be diluted with the casual, non professional sound that TIH is known for (at least for my ears.)

Just keep in mind. Your opinion. Not everyone.

Sounds like WFAA's cut...

It is that same exact cue!

They are the same general cut, with that "custom" signature in front.

I still felt that the Deathstar could've had Gari do a 'Spirit of Texas' variant for just WFAA & KHOU. They ain't that cheap to do that.

I expect when KREM makes the switch, they'll use the KING cut, to match the NWCN cluster.

I noticed all the King stations, even KTVB is using that same opening cue. Even though I'm hoping KREM 2 would shock us, I wouldn't hold my breath.

But Damn! What a summer of this G3 rollout Part 2! I don't think we've talked about the Deathstar this much, since the first infamous standardization in 2008.

RIP Spirit Of Texas for good.

It is that same cue!

I still felt that the Deathstar could've had Gari do a 'Spirit of Texas' variant for just WFAA & KHOU.

That six-note sig in the front sounds like that. While it's not the "Spirit" cue, it still makes me feel Texas-y. Don't know why.

I'm also interested in how the London stations will pick up Gannett's themes too. Alot of the themes for those stations have a heavy Texas accent to them, if you will.

That six-note sig in the front sounds like that. While it's not the "Spirit" cue, it still makes me feel Texas-y. Don't know why.

I'm also interested in how the London stations will pick up Gannett's themes too. Alot of the themes for those stations have a heavy Texas accent to them, if you will.

I don't know why, but I like that custom cue so much better than the crap KENS uses (the same cut as the NW cluster). I wouldn't say it sounds "Texas-y" per se, but it does sound very authoritative.

As for the London stations, they all use Stephen Arnold themes. I wonder if they used them on a group wide contract basis similar to Nexstar. If they have a heavy Texas accent to them, I'd say it's more Arnold's style and a coincidence. I will miss Third Coast on KIII though. It definitely fits the market in my opinion, (I've been to Corpus countless times over the past fifteen years for a quick getaway. KIII is the station I usually watch because I can't stand the kiddie corps reporters on channel 6). TiH is a very generic theme in my opinion. It's not as bad as cbs2 makes it out to be, but it also isn't a one-size-fits-all theme. That's why I'm not a big fan of standardization, because certain themes fit certain markets like a glove, and then some are out of place. Like TiH would be very out of place on KIII. But unfortunately standardization is inevitable and here to stay.

Also, unlike most people especially those outside the state, I've never really held the Spirit of Texas in high regard. I'm guessing it's because a station here never really used it long-term. KMOL had it in the late 80's but it was gone by 1991 (at the latest, I can't pinpoint an exact date) when they went to their "Straight Talk, Straight Facts, Straight To You" ad campaign.

I don't know why, but I like that custom cue so much better than the crap KENS uses (the same cut as the NW cluster). I wouldn't say it sounds "Texas-y" per se, but it does sound very authoritative.

As for the London stations, they all use Stephen Arnold themes. I wonder if they used them on a group wide contract basis similar to Nexstar. If they have a heavy Texas accent to them, I'd say it's more Arnold's style and a coincidence. I will miss Third Coast on KIII though. It definitely fits the market in my opinion, (I've been to Corpus countless times over the past fifteen years for a quick getaway. KIII is the station I usually watch because I can't stand the kiddie corps reporters on channel 6). TiH is a very generic theme in my opinion. It's not as bad as cbs2 makes it out to be, but it also isn't a one-size-fits-all theme. That's why I'm not a big fan of standardization, because certain themes fit certain markets like a glove, and then some are out of place. Like TiH would be very out of place on KIII. But unfortunately standardization is inevitable and here to stay.

Also, unlike most people especially those outside the state, I've never really held the Spirit of Texas in high regard. I'm guessing it's because a station here never really used it long-term. KMOL had it in the late 80's but it was gone by 1991 (at the latest, I can't pinpoint an exact date) when they went to their "Straight Talk, Straight Facts, Straight To You" ad campaign.

Actually, KENS and the KING cluster use different cuts. Yeah, I've actually listened intently. LOL.

Using NMSA times, KING & Co use the cut that starts at about 00:13. KENS' cut actually sound just like the WFAA/KHOU versions (around 1:06), just sans the melody and opening signature. The hits at the end are the same, just more slowed and chopped on KENS' version. As of now, KVUE is the only G-Team station in Texas using TiH that doesn't use the "sig" cut (or a version thereof), and again brings me back to whether they will use this theme for all of the stations.

KENS:

WFAA:

Actually, KENS and the KING cluster use different cuts. Yeah, I've actually listened intently. LOL.

Using NMSA times, KING & Co use the cut that starts at about 00:13. KENS' cut actually sound just like the WFAA/KHOU versions (around 1:06), just sans the melody and opening signature. The hits at the end are the same, just more slowed and chopped on KENS' version. As of now, KVUE is the only G-Team station in Texas using TiH that doesn't use the "sig" cut (or a version thereof), and again brings me back to whether they will use this theme for all of the stations.

KENS:

WFAA:

KENS no longer uses that cut, I will post what they use now on Monday if I remember. They actually changed music pretty quickly, less than a month after the G3 look launched.

It is possible that it's not a custom signature but rather just a musical idea. I've heard pretty crappy edit jobs of This is Home that splice about 3 different cuts together. The KING stations and the Texas stations could be going for uniformity, especially with NWCN and TXCN.