TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Wonderful, they're going to use the same opening cue KING 5 & KGW is using. Great {sarcasm}.

And to add on to the greatness you likely won't be able to see it because the nazis at KTVB will have it pulled from YT (surprising how we're in 2014 and some stations still don't want their opens online)... :rolleyes:

And to add on to the greatness you likely won't be able to see it because the nazis at KTVB will have it pulled from YT (surprising how we're in 2014 and some stations still don't want their opens online)... :rolleyes:

KTVB doesn't want its vast amount of competitors to steal their tactics.

KTVB doesn't want its vast amount of competitors to steal their tactics.

I feel sorry for that station if that closet is their control room. But I guess I should be glad that at least they have a proper switcher - I am amazed at how many stations when they went HD they chose to only have an Ignite panel in their building (cough WPVI cough).

The reporter in the piece misspoke (or doesn't know the difference) by saying they are going full 1080 HD. I am a bit of an HD snob and would be pissed off if this small market station was the first in all of North America to broadcast in 1080p. With that being said I would have honestly thought that the station went HD based on the picture quality of that video being viewed on my iPad. I honestly wonder what that news set looks like in HD - doesn't appear to have been refreshed and looks like a little brother to KING 5's.

I think I have mentioned this before but why does every single Gannett station feel the need to explain/make a hullabaloo over their new graphics package? Is it a localized "must run" by corporate? Do they think viewers are that stupid that they need someone to tell them that three columns of seemingly unrelated stories is the run down? I would think people would catch on to how the graphics work after watching the channel for five minutes. The only thing that could be confusing is the color coding of the stories, which are subjective to the producers thinking. How about a little jingle like the ones that are used for a weather beacon.

Yes, the promos about the graphics changes are from the corporate level. Some of them use the exact same explanation package. Some do one that is more custom. Most of the BELO stations used the basic one that all the original Gannett stations used a year ago.

Yes, the promos about the graphics changes are from the corporate level. Some of them use the exact same explanation package. Some do one that is more custom. Most of the BELO stations used the basic one that all the original Gannett stations used a year ago.

then that would make sense why they didn't say "new owners", back to an earlier rant of mine re to the package about on the new graphics.

No station has ever said “Here are our new graphics introduced by mandate because of our [new] owner's corporate standardization policies.” The new graphics story is a must-run? Fine, stick it in C block and hope it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.

I guess ether I am not getting my point across or others aren't getting my point. I find it newsworthy because a) its a new owner, b ) I don't care if its a no story to you, I think it has some news value and c ) the Belo deal happened in 2013, so you could still say "if this reminds you of USA Today, that's because our parent company who publishes them" at least the native stations did that last year. Now that Carl Icahn is getting his way bullying the Gannett BOD, this type of blurb doesn't make much sense, but at least WFAA and KENS could've just slipped a couple extra words from the original 2013 "must report" copy, if that is true.

IMO you can simply the story without getting technical, but the viewers should at least know something than nothing.

Look at your point 3: The Belo deal happened in 2013. Nearly 9 months ago, in fact.

It's not news anymore.

Graphics changes, are inside baseball things and aren't usually mentioned unless there is some sort of impact.

The only reason these are getting a news story at all is 1) the legitimate necessity of introducing the technicolor cheat codes to viewers, some of whom may find it of interest, and 2) Gannett's insessant need let everybody know how they brand it's properties. Even though, "we're still owned by Gannett" is not a news story.

"We waited until now to do HD, because frankly, we wanted to do it right."

No, you're doing it now because Belo was too cheap to do it then and they didn't care too much about KTVB, their smallest station... :rolleyes:

Also, "new control room smell". Gotta love small market weatherman jokes...

I was reading Wikipedia about KONG tv. I know it's not fully accurate and the sources the list I don't have access to (mainly a Seattle library card). I have a a question: Why did King Broadcasting object to KONG's license? I take it was because of King-Kong name and viewers would assume they were related?

I noticed that the font on the time/temp bug was a bit bolder now. Remember, I stated that it was skinny as hell, when the new Graphics was implemented back in June.

One thing that I somewhat dislike is that they uses a narrow font for the time & temp, while most of the others are using a bolder font. Some folks who might be several feet away or some folks who might have visual problems, might have difficulty seeing the time & temp bug, because the font is so skinny.

This caption was from Wednesday night's 5pm show (probably their first HD broadcast).

22uXxJX.png

I thought they were just upgrading the software or something. Didn't realized it was for their HD launch.

Maybe they are going to do it alongside an HD launch a la KTVB. The real question is when is KHOU going to get the new gfx?

I saw one of their newscasts a week or so ago, looks like they are at a snail's pace, if you do not like the graphics - then its still good news if you like the Belo package.

It's insane how slow it had been to release a new graphics and website design for the last of the Belo stations.

I read a comment on YouTube in the beginning of the year something like there was supposed to be tight deadlines to implementing the new graphics.

Anyways since that station has been brought back to the discussion, its now been 3+ years they have used Propulsion V 2., which sounds lot better than V. 1 and kicks TIH's ass by 10 times, if you asked me. I've put it in the same kick ass class as WCAU's NBC O&O theme which only lasted 2.5 or so years, and that same class that's known to have a short shelf life, at least Propulsion V2/KHOU still is using it. It's just my own opinion.

Maybe they are going to do it alongside an HD launch a la KTVB. The real question is when is KHOU going to get the new gfx?

No clue as to KHOU yet, but all I know is that the Texans are playing in primetime at home on KHOU Thursday night. That's probably the earliest guess as to a potential change. If not, then KHOU must be preparing for some technical upgrades at their studios, perhaps saving the best for last considering that station's own news legacy (much like WFAA had one).

As for KREM, perhaps a graphics change could be in the works as well on Wednesday a la WFAA. The legacy of Belo's unofficial King Broadcasting subsidiary (considering the graphics they all used in Belo's twilight years) is certainly over this week (if not next).

Regardless, all traces of Belo throughout Gannett should be gone by November sweeps. The Meredith stations that were Belo (KMOV, KTVK) will certainly be rebranding themselves in many ways since the Belo look on both stations now looks clearly out of place. As seen on YouTube, KMOV isn't even regularly using the package's standard typeface.

No clue as to KHOU yet, but all I know is that the Texans are playing in primetime at home on KHOU Thursday night. That's probably the earliest guess as to a potential change. If not, then KHOU must be preparing for some technical upgrades at their studios, perhaps saving the best for last considering that station's own news legacy (much like WFAA had one).

As for KREM, perhaps a graphics change could be in the works as well on Wednesday a la WFAA. The legacy of Belo's unofficial King Broadcasting subsidiary (considering the graphics they all used in Belo's twilight years) is certainly over this week (if not next).

Regardless, all traces of Belo throughout Gannett should be gone by November sweeps. The Meredith stations that were Belo (KMOV, KTVK) will certainly be rebranding themselves in many ways since the Belo look on both stations now looks clearly out of place. As seen on YouTube, KMOV isn't even regularly using the package's standard typeface.

KTVK's logistical challenges are more upcoming when KPHO moves up to that facility. In an interview with TVNewsCheck Meredith's VP of local news had this to say:

"In Phoenix we now have two very large, active news-producing stations, so that is going to be a very interesting merger. KPHO and KTVK both have very unique marketing positions. So the question is how do you merge two unique brands? It is challenging but provides an incredible opportunity. We will have the largest television news operation in the Phoenix marketplace."

It's becoming obvious that the Gannett budget ax had fallen *hard* at KHOU.

Fewer live shots from reporters, especially in the early afternoon shows. Instead, they doing more in-studio fronts. This is likely to save on photog/live truck operator overtime.

Supers are showing up more often with misspellings. This likely means they cut some writers and associate producers in the newsroom and that line producers are now responsible for not only stacking, but writing, the majority of their own shows (at least that's what it means at KRIV).

The dawn of automation is becoming more obvious too. Lots of technical glitches.

Still no new graphics, though.