TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

WVEC's new website (13NewsNow.com) is coming September 24th.

Are they really changing their domain?

They still haven't started making new sites for either KREM 2 or WHAS 11 yet.

Don't forget, KREM doesn't even have the on-screen look either.

Okay. They're finally working on the WVEC & KREM 2 websites now.

That only leaves only WHAS 11. I hope they finally fix their live streaming audio problem.

WVEC has been in the works for some time now. Release date is 9/24.

Speaking of, here's their official promo/release: http://www.wvec.com/home/The-new-13newsnowcom-arrives-September-24th-274791041.html

So KENS5 changed the name of their weekly high school football segment. It used to be called "KENS5 Friday Night Football". Guess what? It's now "USA Today High School Sports"... :bang:

Most Gannett stations and newspapers are integrated into the USA Today product because the states/schools use a backend product called Schedule Star.

AZCentral is by far the largest exception to the USA Today integration in large part because Arizona is not a Schedule Star state. In addition here Gannett has a partnership with MaxPreps, which in turn has a partnership with our state high school association.

Most Gannett stations and newspapers are integrated into the USA Today product because the states/schools use a backend product called Schedule Star.

AZCentral is by far the largest exception to the USA Today integration in large part because Arizona is not a Schedule Star state. In addition here Gannett has a partnership with MaxPreps, which in turn has a partnership with our state high school association.

But do they need to name the entire segment after the paper? You go to WOAI, who's called Friday Night Fever, KSAT has Big Game Coverage, and KABB has High School To The Max. All are local brands used for many years. Then you go to KENS and it's called "USA Today High School Sports". It just looks so dumb. I don't mind if they mention it casually throughout the segment. It's a minor annoyance, but to actually name the entire segment after it? Ugh, can't wait for the spinoff to be complete.

So, I watched KENS last night and they do in fact call it "Friday Night Football" and all the graphics are based on this. There is a single graphic in the background referencing USA Today and a couple of the screen transitions used that graphic. Otherwise, it was presented completely local.

Sooooo...not buying this version of Gannett/USA Today rant...I think we all get you don't like Gannett...

By the way, WHAS is getting ready to start working on transitioning their website -- the transition "UX" subdomain has been activated. They haven't loaded the CMS yet, but as a web developer, I can tell they just booted up the subdomain. So, with that, here is the updated list, since my last attempt on 8/17:

Pending On-Air Changes:

KTVB

KHOU

KREM

KIDY

KXVA

KIII

KCEN

KBMT

KYTX

Pending Online Changes:

WVEC 1

KREM 2

WHAS 3

KIDY

KXVA

KIII

KCEN

KBMT

KYTX

1: UX domain active; scheduled for switchover on 9/24; also switching to new main domain (13NewsNow.com)

2: UX domain active; content backload in progress

3: UX domain activated, Presto not loaded, or content backload not in progress

red bold: ex-London stations

So KENS5 changed the name of their weekly high school football segment. It used to be called "KENS5 Friday Night Football". Guess what? It's now "USA Today High School Sports"... :bang:

But do they need to name the entire segment after the paper? You go to WOAI, who's called Friday Night Fever, KSAT has Big Game Coverage, and KABB has High School To The Max. All are local brands used for many years. Then you go to KENS and it's called "USA Today High School Sports". It just looks so dumb. I don't mind if they mention it casually throughout the segment. It's a minor annoyance, but to actually name the entire segment after it? Ugh, can't wait for the spinoff to be complete.

I agree with you on this one. USA Today is NOT a local brand, and what they seem to be branding is using a logo built out of ABS plastic of a product, that you can't tell the thing apart. Also what "sports" event are they promoting? Generic, Generic and Generic branding! HS Football is a huge thing in Texas, and you'd think the morons at Gannett would've at least known more about the state after buying London.

That's great technology! The problem is Gannett forgets that these types of sports are so hyperlocal, you cannot treat them as a nation.

That's pretty stupid considering the impending spin-off of the entire newspaper division.

Unless the media division keeps USA Today in the spinoff.

As I once said in the shoutbox:

Gannett is overly proud. Some of you mentioned that in the past that they frequently disclose that they are sister organizations to USA Today. I'm not sure I would be bragging about being USA Today's corporate sibling - it's bland journalism reduced to the lowest common denominator. However USA Today would be a good paper to read if you were starting to learn English.

Unless the media division keeps USA Today in the spinoff.

I think if anything remotely close, that the media division might have a stake with USATODAY.com.

Gannett is overly proud. Some of you mentioned that in the past that they frequently disclose that they are sister organizations to USA Today. I'm not sure I would be bragging about being USA Today's corporate sibling - it's bland journalism reduced to the lowest common denominator. However USA Today would be a good paper to read if you were starting to learn English.

couldn't you save some characters and just say "look at my sig"? ;)

USA Today is a McPaper.

It's also very popular among hotel housekeepers and tourist attractions.

And it's the only property Gannett has with a national reach.

I'd still stick it with the Gannett newspaper group with the impending spin-off. It can't be solvent by any stretch of the imagination, and it would totally drag down the Gannett television station group.

I think if anything remotely close, that the media division might have a stake with USATODAY.com.

couldn't you save some characters and just say "look at my sig"? ;)

A copy and paste job but I wanted it there Incase I remove it.

USA Today is a McPaper.

It's also very popular among hotel housekeepers and tourist attractions.

And it's the only property Gannett has with a national reach.

I'd still stick it with the Gannett newspaper group with the impending spin-off. It can't be solvent by any stretch of the imagination, and it would totally drag down the Gannett television station group.

McPaper was at the tip of my tongue but I couldn't remember it when I wrote that. I'd also be willing to go as far as saying USA Today is probably the most recycled newspaper in the country.

Just saw KHOU's Twitter feed...they are showing a G3PO-esque "Made in Houston" graphic under a tweet about a local kombucha tea business in Greater Houston, plus another tweet that shows the "USA Today High School Sports" brand encouraging viewers to ask KHOU which high school in their viewing area has the most spirit.

WVEC's website is apparently up and running now...as "13newsnow.com".

And KTVB is apparently going live on Sunday...either right before or after Sunday Night Football.

Just saw KHOU's Twitter feed...they are showing a G3PO-esque "Made in Houston" graphic under a tweet about a local kombucha tea business in Greater Houston, plus another tweet that shows the "USA Today High School Sports" brand encouraging viewers to ask KHOU which high school in their viewing area has the most spirit.

That looks more like the new Sinclair stuff.

Parts of the Sinclair package look like a cheap knockoff of the Gannett package (especially the title card parts). So I can understandwhy you may think that.

Found this, The Brand Gallery is the creator of at least one of the new Sinclair packages and here is their Vimeo demo clip. http://vimeo.com/96923173 - - not sure if that's been posted before. Agree over parts of the package looking like a knockoff of some of the Gannett stuff. I do like the both the new Sinclair look and the Gannett packages are brighter and not the dark, typical mid 2000's looking packages that overstayed their welcome and unfortunately continue to grace many markets.