TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Sadly the music signature was what was remaining of The Spirit. I won't repeat what was already said of its hyperlocal patriotism that is missing of local TV. It's an utter shame that KHOU/WFAA nixed the image ID.

I am all for tolerance of people's views, I do not like petty attacks such as calling my opposition "childish". I respect others views, and opposites attract a diversity of opinions. If you disagree with me, then just say it instead of acting like a teenager and slandering me as someone who doesn't like change.

Got it?

Thanks

KHOU still uses that "Stands for Houston" in their current promo, which is more hyperlocal than "The Spirit of Texas" (which, by the way, KHOU phased out late 00/early 10's).

But even if "This is Home" isn't necessarily a hometown creation, for most people, they won't know that, unless they follow the happenings in the industry. It could easily have been created at any station/market. IT just happens to be used in multiple markets, just like the "On Your Side" tag or "Taking Action" or any other cheesy branding line.

KHOU still uses that "Stands for Houston" in their current promo, which is more hyperlocal than "The Spirit of Texas" (which, by the way, KHOU phased out late 00/early 10's).

But even if "This is Home" isn't necessarily a hometown creation, for most people, they won't know that, unless they follow the happenings in the industry. It could easily have been created at any station/market. IT just happens to be used in multiple markets, just like the "On Your Side" tag or "Taking Action" or any other cheesy branding line.

And for the record, I wouldn't be surprised if SFH went away as early as next week. Also wouldn't be surprised if a) they are waiting for the Texans' first CBS telecast to start (not until next week against the Raiders since they are starting this week at home against the Redskins on Fox), and b ) KHOU winds up using the same cut as WFAA.

In the meantime, you would be well advised to check the Twitter feeds of Bill Bishop (their managing editor), David Paul (their chief meteorologist) and Doug Delony (their tech reporter/web producer) in the coming days. (And I think it's pretty obvious by "their" we're talking about Dan Rather's old stomping grounds).

I took their current tag was to help reinforce KHOU name in 11 News. The last time it was known as KHOU 11 News was nearly 13/14 years prior to 2011, where it was used from 1989 to 1997. Some of the YouTubes showed how tongue tied the anchors were to say KHOU 11 News again (or ever depending on the talent's tenure) On The Spirit, I am quite surprised it wasn't used in smaller markets or other stations mimicking the format or even use the Texas flag in their graphics - it was the two large markets that was the most patriotic. It's so mindblowing for me (even when it hasn't been used for both stations in ages.) At least KHOU still has the red/white/blue in their graphics/logo now.

Well I do believe there should be some level of standardization, and while those tags could be generic, I wouldn't call it cheesy. It's all how you execute it. If you got a good voice over, good graphics - and other ways to format, you can make lemons (the generic slogans) into kickass lemonade.

WVEC is spending bundles of cash from Daddy Gannett -- today on their new 4pm newscast, they will debut their new "Mobile Weather Lab". They've been running promos for it all summer, albeit behind a pixelated image of the truck saying "stay tuned"...

Also, for the rest of this week, Inside Edition's April Woodard is "guest anchoring" (and in actuality, auditioning) to fill the empty morning anchor chair vacated by longtime anchor LaSalle Blanks (he moved to the aforementioned 4pm broadcast). From what I saw, I liked her, she did a very good job this morning. She's also a hometown girl, and the aunt of my third favorite QB, Russell Wilson, so, I'm of course, biased.

WVEC is spending bundles of cash from Daddy Gannett -- today on their new 4pm newscast, they will debut their new "Mobile Weather Lab". They've been running promos for it all summer, albeit behind a pixelated image of the truck saying "stay tuned"...

Hmm...I wonder if we'll see this spread to other Gannett stations. I think this is the first in the group to have something like that.

Also, for the rest of this week, Inside Edition's April Woodard is "guest anchoring" (and in actuality, auditioning) to fill the empty morning anchor chair vacated by longtime anchor LaSalle Blanks (he moved to the aforementioned 4pm broadcast). From what I saw, I liked her, she did a very good job this morning. She's also a hometown girl, and the aunt of my third favorite QB, Russell Wilson, so, I'm of course, biased.

No offense to you and those who live in Hampton Roads, but would this be considered a major step down for April Woodard? I know she was on Inside Edition almost daily but to go from a top syndicated show down to DMA 45? I know Inside Edition isn't hard hitting journalist but I'm pretty sure she could easily get a top 10 market job. But since she's a hometown girl maybe she wants to be home. (I would be thinking the same thing if she was auditioning for a job in Baltimore).

Hmm...I wonder if we'll see this spread to other Gannett stations. I think this is the first in the group to have something like that.

I think KUSA or KARE has one. Trust me they aren't that special. All you end up with is a reporter but mainly meteorologist in the field reading numbers off a 46" TV. Sure it gives a hyper local weather report with the weather station on top but most of the time the temperature isn't that different from opening up your Intellicast or NWS forecast. It would be useful if the weather station could transmit the data back to the weather office where they could place a pin drop on the map showing current conditions.

No offense to you and those who live in Hampton Roads, but would this be considered a major step down for April Woodard? I know she was on Inside Edition almost daily but to go from a top syndicated show down to DMA 45? I know Inside Edition isn't hard hitting journalist but I'm pretty sure she could easily get a top 10 market job. But since she's a hometown girl maybe she wants to be home. (I would be thinking the same thing if she was auditioning for a job in Baltimore).

I'd naturally assume it was a step-down myself, except for I don't think she was under contract with Inside Edition anymore -- on her LinkedIn she says she's a "Freelance Correspondent". And I think she was also only doing the weekend anchoring on the show as well. Other than that, and it being a hometown gig, I'd agree with you.

I think KUSA or KARE has one. Trust me they aren't that special. All you end up with is a reporter but mainly meteorologist in the field reading numbers off a 46" TV. Sure it gives a hyper local weather report with the weather station on top but most of the time the temperature isn't that different from opening up your Intellicast or NWS forecast. It would be useful if the weather station could transmit the data back to the weather office where they could place a pin drop on the map showing current conditions.

KUSA does not. KCNC (CBS O&O) does and it always has struck me as gimmicky.

Don't know if other acquired stations with the new graphics are seeing this, but WFAA is having some issue off/on with the next 3 topics in the L3. Sometimes, the news topics aren't in the right order, or a non-breaking-news topic is missing that ends up being a segment on the news. Last night, the weather topic for the regular weather segment was left off altogether. I've gotten to where I don't even pay attention to that part of the screen, even though it takes up enough room to where you really can't ignore it.

Opening-month jitters?

In my neck of the woods, WBZs Eric Fisher had initially milked the use of the truck. I haven't watched 4's 5 or 6:00 in a while but last October the SUV went up to Mount Washington, NH - 5000 feet above ground in some deep snow. It's been elsewhere in the viewing area. I like their approach. He seems to be the outdoor cat of a weatherman, likes to be out on the field than standing around a chroma wall/103" flat panel.

If you got a Chief meteorologist whose the outdoor cat like him, then it could be put into great use. Not sure Gannett would be able to implement in such effective way.

In my neck of the woods, WBZs Eric Fisher had initially milked the use of the truck. I haven't watched 4's 5 or 6:00 in a while but last October the SUV went up to Mount Washington, NH - 5000 feet above ground in some deep snow. It's been elsewhere in the viewing area. I like their approach. He seems to be the outdoor cat of a weatherman, likes to be out on the field than standing around a chroma wall/103" flat panel.

If you got a Chief meteorologist whose the outdoor cat like him, then it could be put into great use. Not sure Gannett would be able to implement in such effective way.

Eric Fisher is great. I was sad when I saw he left the Weather Channel. I am happy he does does things for CBS This Morning occasionally.