TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Watching the live stream of WFAA @ 10, Dale Hansen gives Gannett a shot in the ribs on their graphics. After giving his opinion on the Josh Gordon suspension for marijuana, he said"...if you want to write me about it [his opinion], my email address must be somewhere on the screen -- everything else is..." and finishing up during the toss back to the anchors with "I hate the words on the screen..." in a semi-joking manner, although I'm sure he actually DOES hate it.

I found it hilarious.

Well don't leave out the now former London stations now owned by Gannett (KBMT, KIII, KYTX, KCEN, KXVA, and KIDY). Because there be getting new graphics as well.

I haven't. I'm eagerly awaiting their changes, and just as much, wanting to see how the G-Team fits a Fox into their corporate look.

With KING/NWCN switching websites last week, and WFAA switching graphics & website today, here is the updated list, since my last attempt on 8/17:

Pending On-Air Changes:

KTVB

KHOU

KREM

KIDY

KXVA

KIII

KCEN

KBMT

KYTX

Pending Online Changes:

WWL1

WVEC2

KREM

WHAS

KIDY

KXVA

KIII

KCEN

KBMT

KYTX

1: UX domain active; content backloaded through August 2011

2: UX domain active; content backload not yet in progress

red bold: ex-London stations

I think the new stations are dropping the reference for USA Today now the companies are being split apart. Which makes me wonder what's going to happen with the local websites? They are all moving over to presto and what about stations like KPNX which are integrated closely with their newspapers? I think stations should buy those combo pedestal units from Vinten Radamec that can be robotically operated and manually operated.

Oddly enough here in at WBFF in Baltimore they have no robotic cameras or even PTZ heads. Their cameras are are mounted on cheap Vinten tripods with wheels:

https://twitter.com/tomrodgersnews/status/491915676697636864

You may need refresh to see the above tweet.

But I never got fondness or attachment to news music maybe it's because I just want the broadcast to start.

Well maybe TIH (which is the actual spelling since titles of songs, books require every first letter to be capitalized), and its entire framework can just be shoved into Gannett's ass.

Robots: Yeah I'm not surprised to know about Sinclair. They are on the shallow end of major TV groups.

I disagree on the last sentence, saying something like that defeats the purpose of a site like TVNT.

I think it's an added dimension to KENS. They can do more with their shots compared 12 and 29 which have robo cams. Newport was another group that never switched to robotic cameras and I think over at 4 they only have one guy running cameras. So when they were on one camera the guy would run and set the shots up for the other cameras and then run back. So they cut personnel running cameras but not actually going robotic. But with Sinclair now on the fold, they're a huge proponent of automation and robo cams so they should make the switch after the move.

Just because you can make cuts, why should you? Sinclair may think that way but Belo never did. In fact back in 2008, they were one of the last to lay people off. They didn't want to make cut backs but they were forced to, at least in Texas. They cared about the state of Texas. In fact, it feels weird not seeing "The Belo Debates" this year for gubernatorial race. I have no idea if Gannett will keep the concept going but I doubt it.

"The Spirit of Texas" died when Belo Company did. And it wasn't just a slogan but I'd say kind of how Belo ran themselves too. Decent company.

I was logically thinking since some stations still had camera operators in union environments, and I do not know for sure if TX is a right to work state - to me in a modern day environment with the cost of robotic peds and other related technologies probably less expensive than before, which was making me wonder why. The sudden zoom on KHOU's leading from stingers a decade ago looked so tacky and so obviously it was remotely controlled.

I agree on the management, that's the impression I got.

Disagree. I think you save the best for last. WFAA should've been last. But KHOU will be. KHOU isn't special to me but WFAA is.

KHOU to me is special because it was one of Belo's other flagship stations, shared The Spirit image ID, etc. Better off saying they left the two stations for last.

Watching the live stream of WFAA @ 10, Dale Hansen gives Gannett a shot in the ribs on their graphics. After giving his opinion on the Josh Gordon suspension for marijuana, he said"...if you want to write me about it [his opinion], my email address must be somewhere on the screen -- everything else is..." and finishing up during the toss back to the anchors with "I hate the words on the screen..." in a semi-joking manner, although I'm sure he actually DOES hate it.

I found it hilarious.

I haven't. I'm eagerly awaiting their changes, and just as much, wanting to see how the G-Team fits a Fox into their corporate look.

Nice! Dale might get suspended or reprimanded for not saying nice things about the company on air. I'm glad he got the stones to call out this over the top ADHD of news graphics. USA Today is for intellectual dummies who don't give a damn to put their time to read a news paper, and the TV side is for people who have no patience to understand a story. (I so wished I registered last year because I was just as critical when it launched on the native Gannett stations.)

I was logically thinking since some stations still had camera operators in union environments, and I do not know for sure if TX is a right to work state - to me in a modern day environment with the cost of robotic peds and other related technologies probably less expensive than before, which was making me wonder why. The sudden zoom on KHOU's leading from stingers a decade ago looked so tacky and so obviously it was remotely controlled.

Yes, TX is a right to work state. In fact, unions are (mostly) a foreign concept in these parts. That's not to say they don't exist here, they very much do. Their presence isn't as big as where you are though.

As for KHOU's sudden zooms I actually liked it. KABB also used to do the same thing manually until they went robotic. The robotic camera apparently can't zoom in that fast.

USA Today is partnering with Gannett's TV stations to start an SEC website. I wonder if this will continue when the split goes into effect.

http://jmanmediazone.blogspot.com/2014/08/usa-today-launches-sec-hub-spanning-sec.html

Watch stations like WWL and WXIA promote this website quite a bit especially with football season about to kick off.

Well maybe TIH (which is the actual spelling since titles of songs, books require every first letter to be capitalized), and its entire framework can just be shoved into Gannett's ass.

Robots: Yeah I'm not surprised to know about Sinclair. They are on the shallow end of major TV groups.

I disagree on the last sentence, saying something like that defeats the purpose of a site like TVNT.

I agree on the management, that's the impression I got.

KHOU to me is special because it was one of Belo's other flagship stations, shared The Spirit image ID, etc. Better off saying they left the two stations for last.

Nice! Dale might get suspended or reprimanded for not saying nice things about the company on air. I'm glad he got the stones to call out this over the top ADHD of news graphics. USA Today is for intellectual dummies who don't give a damn to put their time to read a news paper, and the TV side is for people who have no patience to understand a story. (I so wished I registered last year because I was just as critical when it launched on the native Gannett stations.)

I wrote this in the shout box but wish I saved the exact phrasing.

If I was a television station I don't think I would want to promote that I was corporate siblings of USA Today. Don't get me wrong but USA Today would be the perfect newspaper for someone to read if they were just learning English.

Ed Bark has his take on WFAA's new graphics on his blog today.

http://www.unclebarky.com/dfw_files/fdeb986e42aca8d17e1de0ceaeceac13-3179.html

Why is it that every Gannett station feels the need to do a segment to introduce the viewers to new graphics? Most stations wouldn't even bother to mention the change unless say the graphics were included with a new set.

How dumb are they to need the complete chyron be explained to them? There is nothing truly revolutionary to their graphics package. The lower third has and always will display what the story is about and the information. A lot of stations already featured a news ticker and I'm truly scared for society if people couldn't identify the time and temperature without being told where it was located. The only thing that may be different is the upcoming rundown and the color coding system.

The Uncle Barky post mentioned that their weather caster Ashton Altieri stated that his weather forecasts will be 20% more accurate? Please explain to me how new graphics can do that. The only way a forecast could truly differ is if they switched weather systems to either AccuWeather (real quick why is it that a lot of AccuWeather stations seem to use some of the same slides in their forecasts with no local graphics?) or WSI.

Yes I know most of those questions are rhetorical.

I still thought that Sinclair being cheaper they would rather go full on with robotic cameras. Yes the upfront cost will be higher but once they are in service they would no longer have to own for a camera operator.

As for my distaste in news music it really doesn't matter since there are so many other things to discuss on here. As I stated I just want the newscast to start because I would rather spend the 30-45 seconds used for an additional story or a longer piece. I am more interested in the technical aspects of the broadcast from the automation, the equipment, graphics and their transmission/eng plant.

On a story posted on the WFAA website about Greg Abbott pulling out of appearing on the WFAA-hosted Gubernatorial debate, WFAA touted that Gannett has a 83% reach in Texas:

The Dallas debate was scheduled for 7 p.m. on Sept. 30 and would have been broadcast on all of Texas' Gannett stations including WFAA-TV in Dallas – Fort Worth, KHOU-TV in Houston, KENS-TV in San Antonio, KVUE-TV in Austin, along with other affiliates in Amarillo, Beaumont, Corpus Christi, San Angelo and Tyler.

Outside of those Gannett markets the debate was going to be available to any radio and television station in the state. In addition, the debate would have been streamed on-line at all of the Gannett websites in Texas.

Gannett stations currently reach 83% of Texans.

One note: it seems odd they names their former Belo sisters by name, but when referring to their newly adopted siblings, they only referred to their market.

On a story posted on the WFAA website about Greg Abbott pulling out of appearing on the WFAA-hosted Gubernatorial debate, WFAA touted that Gannett has a 83% reach in Texas:

One note: it seems odd they names their former Belo sisters by name, but when referring to their newly adopted siblings, they only referred to their market.

News to me. Not about Abbott pulling out of the debate or Gannett's 83% reach in Texas, but Gannett actually keeping the Belo debates. But if Abbott pulled out, really no point for them to do it.

All the ABC O&O stations that carry the duo (except for WLS, apparently) air it as Jep, then Wheel; from what I can tell, most other stations that air them together do it the opposite (including WLNY when they aired the duo).

Of course, that does not include KTRK in Houston. But it wouldn't surprise me if KHOU drops the game shows in the near future, especially if Gannett decides to go beyond standardizing its news graphics and launch original syndicated programming in the access hour a la Evening/PM Magazine or game shows like the ones Scripps put out. And for the record, didn't USA Today used to have its own bust of a show?

After all the Belo stations stop using it, KTVK, KSNB/KHAS, and WMBB will be left. Of those stations it's not likely that KTVK (ownership change/realignment) or WMBB (under Nexstar) stay with the package.

KTVK and KMOV will not be carrying a moribund graphics package for long. Especially with KMOV reportedly using cheap Arial instead of the standard Belo font. One would expect "Better" from Meredith than a standard Microsoft font that is only a cut above Comic Sans from a media company on the same level as Hearst, for instance.

Watch stations like WWL and WXIA promote this website quite a bit especially with football season about to kick off.

WWL (and KHOU and WTSP) will probably benefit far more than WXIA, given CBS carries the heavily watched Saturday SEC games.

And even the former Belo flagship couldn't get it right about the lesser markets -- talk about no Gannett in Amarillo, subbing Tyler in place of Nacogdoches, and failing to mention Abilene and Waco (or is it Temple?). But 83% is a big number, considering the Sinclair stations don't have as much of a reach in Texas.

And even the former Belo flagship couldn't get it right about the lesser markets -- talk about no Gannett in Amarillo, subbing Tyler in place of Nacogdoches, and failing to mention Abilene and Waco (or is it Temple?). But 83% is a big number, considering the Sinclair stations don't have as much of a reach in Texas.

The Tyler reference I could see, as KYTX is physically in Tyler; fortunately an article or report in the press doesn't have to conform to FCC top-of-hour demands about referencing a TV station by it's city of license. As far as the Amarillo part goes, it would be a stretch (much less quite the brain fart) to mistake Amarillo for Abilene, other than an "oh it's out west, and it starts with 'A', whatever" excuse. That would be like mistaking Switzerland for Sweden.

How can WFAA screw something like that up? I thought their writers were "Working in The Spirit of Texas", which I'd assume they should know where the small cities are? I wonder if it was an carpetbagger intern that wrote that part of the copy - or worse written elsewhere like at the corporate HQ in Virginia.

But it wouldn't surprise me if KHOU drops the game shows in the near future, especially if Gannett decides to go beyond standardizing its news graphics and launch original syndicated programming in the access hour a la Evening/PM Magazine or game shows like the ones Scripps put out. And for the record, didn't USA Today used to have its own bust of a show?

Yes, it ran from 1988 to 1990. The series was bombarded with low raitings and negative reviews throughout its entire run of one and a half seasons.

Yes, it ran from 1988 to 1990. The series was bombarded with low raitings and negative reviews throughout its entire run of one and a half seasons.

add to the problems was 1st season had a super slow, sleepy format, the other season was more fast paced energetic format.

People were better off reading the actual newspaper than half-assed newspaper on TV program. (Oh and yes, TIH also kinda falls into this 25 years later - sorry :p)