TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Here in Columbus, OH aires; Jeopardy 7pm/ Wheel 7:30pm along with Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, NYC, Raleigh-Durham, Los Angeles and San Francisco. Growing up it was always Wheel at 7/ Jeopardy 7:30.

I know WDIV has alway done that along with Atlanta. In Atlanta the Jeopardy has shuffle from 46WGNX during their indy days, followed by WXIA and before the late 80s/early 90s on WAGA-TV. In 1996 Wheel/Jeopardy moved to WXIA same time, but in 2002 or 2003 WXIA moved Jeopardy at 4:30PM created 7:00 News and Wheel at 7:30. Then they moved Wheel to WATL and Jeopardy at 7:30 on WXIA.

Plus more Gannett news " Icahn acquires 6.6% stake in Gannett" http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-14/icahn-takes-new-activist-position-in-gannett-backs-split-plan.html

All the ABC O&O stations that carry the duo (except for WLS, apparently) air it as Jep, then Wheel; from what I can tell, most other stations that air them together do it the opposite (including WLNY when they aired the duo).

Technically WLS airs WoF right after J!...if you're willing to ignore the 2.5 hours of news between the two. :D

Looks like they're putting together WWL's new Web site. Currently it has a lot of KVUE's material.

replace the "www" with "ux" then dot wwltv.com

FINALLY!! I was wondering when they were going to start doing that for Channel 4 (they should've done it when their graphics were implemented). WVEC, WHAS & KREM have yet to make their new sites. And I'm shocked that KING 5's new webpage didn't go live this week.

1. At least they did a better job of tagging colors at 4.

2. Do they really break up their newscasts with an episode of Jeopardy at 4:30?

1. The evening producers are better about it than the noon producer. I haven't caught a morning cast yet so I have no idea how they handle it. I still KVUE does better with it than KENS.

2. Yep, Jeopardy at 4:30 and Wheel of Fortune at 6:30. It's been like that since '99. I remember KENS5 used to have a 4:30PM newscast many moons ago and after three of four years on the air they canceled it and bought the rights to Jeopardy. Prior to 5 taking the show, NBC affiliate KMOL (now WOAI) aired Jeopardy and Wheel at 6:00 and 6:30 respectively for many years. So 4 did not have a 6PM news until the late 90's.

Deborah Knapp, wasn't she in Philadelphia many moons ago? I've seen that face on retro clips of WCAU if I am not mistaken.

Yep, same Deborah Knapp. She used to work at 5 in the 70's, left for Philadelphia, and has been back at KENS5 for over 20 years. Definitely one of the nicest news anchors you'll meet. I said hi to her and she said hi back and chatted for a minute before she had to go. Was known as Deborah Knapp-Bonilla in the 90's before she got a divorce, many here still call her that though.

Also one more note about the graphics, I can't stand the fact they make the stations put the anchors Twitter handle. So, what if the anchor doesn't tweet? I think it only works if they have "professional" sounding Twitter handles like KVUE's anchors, like TylerS_KVUE, for instance. Then you come to KENS and you see handles like "BarometerBill". KSAT only shows handles on anchors who have KSAT in their handle. Otherwise, it's just @ksatnews as a substitute. 29 uses handles occasionally but forgets most of the time. And 4 never uses them. Personally, I don't think stations should have to put the handles in their graphics.

And now that I've actually seen the graphics on my set. They're actually not that bad. The two things I hate are the colored coded system especially because I don't necessarily agree with how the producer thinks it should be tagged and how I as a viewer do. The other of course is that fafct that 30-40% of the text is chopped off my screen which makes the newscast extremely difficult to watch. Just because you have a larger canvas to design with doesn't mean you should. There's safe areas for a reason.

Also, this is for anybody who knows about TriCasters. Is there a separate CG is it integrated into the TriCaster? Reason I ask is because KIDY/KXVA use a Tricaster to produce their news and the animations are basic. Just like WAAY, another station who uses a Tricaster, has L3s that are rather basic in animation. It makes me wonder whether G3 can port the look over to a Tricaster or if Gannett is forced to either build out a new full control room at KIDY. Or, G3 can create a "dumbed-down" version for KIDY.

So for those of us keeping score at home:

Pending On-Air Changes:

KTVB

WFAA

KHOU

KREM

KIDY*

KXVA*

KIII*

KCEN*

KBMT*

KYTX*

Pending Online Changes:

WFAA (in production)

WWL (in production)

KING 5 & NWCN (in production)

WVEC

KREM

WHAS

KIDY*

KXVA*

KIII*

KCEN*

KBMT*

KYTX*

The asterisks are for the ex-London stations.

FINALLY!! I was wondering when they were going to start doing that for Channel 4 (they should've done it when their graphics were implemented). WVEC, WHAS & KREM have yet to make their new sites. And I'm shocked that KING 5's new webpage didn't go live this week.

I have a weird feeling they may do a weekend launch, like WCNC did a few weeks back.

So for those of us keeping score at home:

Pending On-Air Changes:

WFAA

KREM

KIDY*

KXVA*

KIII*

KCEN*

Pending Online Changes:

WFAA (in production)

WWL (in production)

KING 5 & NWCN (in production)

WVEC

KREM

WHAS

KIDY*

KXVA*

KIII*

KCEN*

The asterisks are for the ex-London stations.

I have a weird feeling they may do a weekend launch, like WCNC did a few weeks back.

KHOU doesn't have the new graphics...

Knapp and Larry Kane hated each other in Philly. H-A-T-E-D. Knapp is actually on record with comments claiming that Kane engineered her departure. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. But things were definitely frosty between her and the station.

As for the gfx equipment, the Belo stations were to roll out the new Miranda system and transition to the new graphics over the last year or so. Since one of the first stations to switch (KING? WWL?) showed behind the scenes footage with text that clearly stated "G3 MIRANDA TEST", I'm assuming Gannett is continuing the rollout, just with their graphics package in place of the Belo one.

And just cuz this thread seems like the best place to put it: KSDK really shouldn't use the gentle cuts of This Is Home over footage of the unrest in Ferguson...

Yep, same Deborah Knapp. She used to work at 5 in the 70's, left for Philadelphia, and has been back at KENS5 for over 20 years. Definitely one of the nicest news anchors you'll meet.

That's what I thought.

Knapp and Larry Kane hated each other in Philly. H-A-T-E-D. Knapp is actually on record with comments claiming that Kane engineered her departure. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. But things were definitely frosty between her and the station.

Ohhhh, that's interesting, kinda like Harry Reasoner vs. Barbara Walters? That was nasty relationship too.

And just cuz this thread seems like the best place to put it: KSDK really shouldn't use the gentle cuts of This Is Home over footage of the unrest in Ferguson...

Another example where I find TIH more casual than a hard hitting theme package. I guess even the somber cuts have such causalness.

As for the gfx equipment, the Belo stations were to roll out the new Miranda system and transition to the new graphics over the last year or so. Since one of the first stations to switch (KING? WWL?) showed behind the scenes footage with text that clearly stated "G3 MIRANDA TEST", I'm assuming Gannett is continuing the rollout, just with their graphics package in place of the Belo one.

I'm wondering since it was the end of 2012 when the Hothaus package was rolling out in some Belos, that if Gannett didn't buy them out, they would've implemented the package across the group. From what you're telling me it looks like they did roll out some of the Miranda hardware to some of the stations. I would not be surprised that Belo knew that TIH would be forced upon them so the minute the deal was announced, they just halted the rollout.

Also, this is for anybody who knows about TriCasters. Is there a separate CG is it integrated into the TriCaster? Reason I ask is because KIDY/KXVA use a Tricaster to produce their news and the animations are basic. Just like WAAY, another station who uses a Tricaster, has L3s that are rather basic in animation. It makes me wonder whether G3 can port the look over to a Tricaster or if Gannett is forced to either build out a new full control room at KIDY. Or, G3 can create a "dumbed-down" version for KIDY.

I don't know the TriCaster fully, answer is likely yes, the CG and the effects and everything else is integrated into one app. I believe that is from the same guys behind the well known Video Toaster from the 90s. It's prosumer equipment, and the quality isn't laughable, but it is a step below the broadcast level. I think FNC uses something like that for their daily web shows, and its professional quality. I know cable access facilities use this too, and again its not laughable, but not fully broadcast grade. I do animations on FCP and export it to QuickTime, and I'd assume most modern production systems like the Tricaster could support QT files. I think its near PowerPoint quality, and you might run into the basic animations.

I bet that said station doesn't have people creative enough to go past the systems limitations. When I did some studio production with a Globecaster system for a local cable access, the system was limited - but I didn't have time or resources to see if the system could support QT files and more animations to get the lower thirds to look sexier.

I'd bet Gannett would build a new control room, especially if they want TIH to be part of the image.

ChyronHego makes a system that is specifically for the NewTek tricasters - it's called ChyronIP. When I first got here I didn't know much about Chyron, I still don't...I was just taught how to build CG templates and how to incorporate them into ENPS. We use the basic fade in/fade out because we literally had no time to sit and play with Chyron prior to our launch, we got the system installed a week before. After things settled, I finally found some time to play around with our Chyron and was able to learn how animate text in and out.

Essentially, there can be animation there is just lack of training and time...I don't know how G3 plans to incorporate their graphics into our system, but hopefully they'll bring someone who knows Chyron more than I do. It'll be interesting to say the least.

Well I managed to watch KENS this weekend. They use the same cut of This is Home for all opens regardless of time. They use the dark version of the open at 10 and the light one at all other times.

I'm actually starting to dig this Gannett look the more I see it. The one thing that keeps me from liking it completely is the fact that the text isn't within the safe zones so some of the words still get cut off. Other than that it's not a bad look. KENS chopping off the first 2 or so seconds from the open helps too. It's more to the point than the other stations.

Well I managed to watch KENS this weekend. They use the same cut of This is Home for all opens regardless of time. They use the dark version of the open at 10 and the light one at all other times.

I'm actually starting to dig this Gannett look the more I see it. The one thing that keeps me from liking it completely is the fact that the text isn't within the safe zones so some of the words still get cut off. Other than that it's not a bad look. KENS chopping off the first 2 or so seconds from the open helps too. It's more to the point than the other stations.

I'm curious are you watching on an old CRT? If so I think you may be out of luck, if your viewing it with out a cable or digital converter box because of the overscan.

The whole point of them using a 16:9 layout is so they don't have to worry about the safe areas.

Ideally the station should identify & update the auto format description for each program (and check it frequently). The benefit of active format description is so that if you are viewing the station in a wide screen but viewing a standard definition feed is that if the content is letter boxed it should automatically "zoom in" on the letterbox feed. Now granite it's not going to be HD quality but it will fill your screen. I remember reading an NBC document on it when they were starting to letter box content and one thing they said is that while the network may be sending a signal to go full 16:9 or letterbox a lot of television station encoders may not get the message and transmit it out to the viewers. Another issue is that the cable company may not be equipped to pass through a signal.

I'm curious are you watching on an old CRT? If so I think you may be out of luck, if your viewing it with out a cable or digital converter box because of the overscan.

The whole point of them using a 16:9 layout is so they don't have to worry about the safe areas.

Ideally the station should identify & update the auto format description for each program (and check it frequently). The benefit of active format description is so that if you are viewing the station in a wide screen but viewing a standard definition feed is that if the content is letter boxed it should automatically "zoom in" on the letterbox feed. Now granite it's not going to be HD quality but it will fill your screen. I remember reading an NBC document on it when they were starting to letter box content and one thing they said is that while the network may be sending a signal to go full 16:9 or letterbox a lot of television station encoders may not get the message and transmit it out to the viewers. Another issue is that the cable company may not be equipped to pass through a signal.

No I have AT&T U-Verse. I have a flat screen plasma and a CRT. I don't pay the extra $10/mo for the HD package because I have no need to watch TV in HD even though my flat screen is an HD set, it's an unnecessary expense. U-Verse does not letterbox 5.

I also hate letterboxed video. I would rather see the 16:9 video compressed to the 4:3 aspect than to see black bars hogging up my screen.

Also, forgot to note, Great Day SA did not have any graphics changes. It looks out of place now because it was clearly based off their now former graphics package. The show promo graphics, like "Wheel of Fortune, tonight at 6:30" are also still the old Belo pack. KENS5 is now a big mess graphically.