TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Initials - Looks like they just pasted on the Eyewitness News name instead of just natively animating it with the open (read WWL) - don't like it.

And instead of just putting KENS5.com in rotation with the logo bug, again, Eyewitness News. I guess that's kinda breaking the mold, since 99% of the other Gannett stations rotate the main logo with the website.

Initials - Looks like they just pasted on the Eyewitness News name instead of just natively animating it with the open (read WWL) - don't like it.

And instead of just putting KENS5.com in rotation with the logo bug, again, Eyewitness News. I guess that's kinda breaking the mold, since 99% of the other Gannett stations rotate the main logo with the website.

That Eyewitness News tag does look aptly placed.

NBC Charlotte/ WCNC does a better job: they rotate through the call letters and then the words Charlotte in a totally non-Gannett font.

Did anyone grab the KVUE unexpected debut, or were we all focused on KENS?

I didn't expect KVUE and I wasn't home at 11AM so I didn't get them. Maybe at 5PM I'll cap it unless somebody else did. To be quite honest, I didn't even get to see the entire noon news because I was too busy with the open so I have no clue how they handle the other elements.

Though I can tell you KENS was prepared. On the morning news, they switched the fonts in the weather and traffic computers from Futura to DIN and it clashed with everything else of course.

Also KENS5 has not mentioned the new graphics online or on social media. Looks like they're taking a cue from other stations and not posting anything that would incite viewers to post negative comments about the graphics. Also, KENS5 has a habit of deleting social media comments that don't agree with their point of view.

Went to go watch the 12PM on my DVR. Highlights:

• Most of the graphics are cut off on my screen as I figured. The time/temp bug is chopped off entirely. I either have to watch the HD feed with the stupid black bars taking up 40% of my screen or have the information cut off on my TV. I will be choosing neither as I watch channel 4 or 29, whose graphics are center cut so nothing gets cut off on the screen.
  • KENS5 used blue for almost every story except for three stories labeled purple/life: a back to school shots story, a story about hand sanitizer vs soap, and Mr. Food's Test Kitchen. A story about T.S. Iselle and Julio in Hawaii and the weather forecast were labeled as yellow/weather. Everything else used blue for general news. This includes the show teases at the end of the newscast. In other words, 5 is horrible about the colors.
  • To top that off, KENS5 did NOT run a package about the new graphics during the noon news and amazingly, has avoided mentioning USA Today at all. Wow, I don't know how they're getting away with this unless they plan on bringing it up later. It's like they hate the new color system so they're purposing labeling almost everything blue so they don't have to explain the colors lol.
  • They used three cuts of This is Home. The open cut was also used for teases, while that one Advantage-esque cut used in the "Live" sting in my video was used for every sting during the newscast. Then they had five seconds of the closing cut on NMSA but you could barely make it out because the anchors were talking over it and as soon as Stacia Willson said "thanks for watching, have a great day" it cut off and went to the Gannett ID.

To sum it up they seem to be off to a rocky start and are trying to keep this switch as lowkey as possible because 5 hates dealing with viewers and they don't want viewer complaints they have to address.

I already hate channel 5 to begin with and this is just one more reason to steer clear of them, especially when I can't even read anything that's on the screen. And no, I'm not going to adjust my set just to watch one station's newscast when I can watch all the others where the graphics fit the screen perfectly (WOAI/KABB) or almost perfectly (KSAT).

5 did update their facebook avatar to this:

WSJYjT.jpg

And they're looking for a new Facebook cover photo. Here's one they're suggesting and we know where their inspiration is coming from:

10583899_10154582068130045_8921578111027789907_n.jpg

I love the comments for it BTW. This one's my favorite:

Teresa Garza-Gonzalez All good but I like the one with the microphone and notebook. I think it best represents what KEN 5 is all about. The colored lighted buildings are beautiful, but some people (not from SA) will not know it is a news station. Just my humble opinion.

I highly doubt this average viewer has any clue the colors actually allude to Gannett.

Went to go watch the 12PM on my DVR. Highlights:

• Most of the graphics are cut off on my screen as I figured. I either have to watch the HD feed with the stupid black bars taking up 40% of my screen or have the information cut off on my TV. I will be choosing neither as I watch channel 4 or 29, whose graphics are center cut so nothing gets cut off on the screen.
  • KENS5 used blue for almost every story except for three stories labeled purple/life: a back to school shots story, a story about hand sanitizer vs soap, and Mr. Food's Test Kitchen. A story about T.S. Iselle and Julio in Hawaii and the weather forecast were labeled as yellow/weather. Everything else used blue for general news. This includes the show teases at the end of the newscast. In other words, 5 is horrible about the colors.
  • To top that off, KENS5 did NOT run a package about the new graphics during the noon news and amazingly, has avoided mentioning USA Today at all. Wow, I don't know how they're getting away with this unless they plan on bringing it up later. It's like they hate the new color system so they're purposing labeling almost everything blue so they don't have to explain the colors lol.
  • They used three cuts of This is Home. The open cut was also used for teases, while that one Advantage-esque cut used in the "Live" sting in my video was used for every sting during the newscast. Then they had five seconds of the closing cut on NMSA but you could barely make it out because the anchors were talking over it and as soon as Stacia Willson said "thanks for watching, have a great day" it cut off and went to the Gannett ID.

To sum it up they seem to be off to a rocky start and are trying to keep this switch as lowkey as possible because 5 hates dealing with viewers and they don't want viewer complaints they have to address.

I already hate channel 5 to begin with and this is just one more reason to steer clear of them, especially when I can't even read anything that's on the screen. And no, I'm not going to adjust my set just to watch one station's newscast when I can watch all the others where the graphics fit the screen perfectly (WOAI/KABB) or almost perfectly (KSAT).

I realistically think Future Gannett is trying to downlplay the existence of USA Today moving forward.

KVUE, being a former Gannett property, will have a much better corporate launch. I managed to find this pic of KVUE's graphics from Twitter...They seem to be getting a better response to the changes.

https://twitter.com/gdinges/status/499949814591668225/photo/1

I realistically think Future Gannett is trying to downlplay the existence of USA Today moving forward.

KVUE, being a former Gannett property, will have a much better corporate launch. I managed to find this pic of KVUE's graphics from Twitter...They seem to be getting a better response to the changes.

https://twitter.com/gdinges/status/499949814591668225/photo/1

Yeah, they're definitely handling it much better than KENS is. They're just trying to forget it ever even launched...

Then again, it's typical KENS behavior. They've pretty much established they try to resist standardization as much as possible.

Is it just me or their studio in a bathroom - it has a bit of an echo. Also they were truly creative with their radar name Max Storm - I take it that if WSI named their product Weather A (as in the source input) that's what they would have branded it as.

I would have guessed the inside of a Coke can myself. That has to be one of the poorest examples of studio sound I've ever heard on a newscast. And that would include my few memories of KLMG (pre-KFXK) in Longview.

Yes, KENS will debuting them today at noon and I will be capping the open from their live feed.

KENS ran a PKG fronted by Meteorologist Jeremy Baker during the 5:30AM news today. He basically said that KENS5's goal is to make information easier to digest (yeah right) and that this new graphics package will do just that. Guess what, they showed previews of the L3 gfx in the PKG and guess what, it gets cut off on my screen! How is that making information "easier to digest"? At least with the current gfx, the L3 information is still within the safe zone. Yes, the live bug and infobox already get chopped off but now some of the information is.

They did run a VO-less open in the PKG but it's not anything special because Baker was talking over it.. They are not implementing their network logo (CBS) like the rest of the Gannett group has. This is a first.

He proclaimed this new look is "awesome" and is a new approach at bringing you the information you need. They've been doing it on their website for a month and will now be bringing it to your television screen.

They did not get specific on colors but I'm assuming they will at noon. The obligatory USA Today reference, which 5 has successfully managed to avoid, will probably be coming at noon as well.

Guess I'm sticking with channel 4 or 12. But even with KSAT's new Graham GFX, they adjusted their time/temp bug so now the temperature gets cut off on a tube TV. Not everybody has a flat screen, you know.

BTW, Mat Garcia (KENS5 morning anchor) says he pretty confident everybody will be enjoying this new look. Think again. It sucks. I'm just one step ahead of the average viewer because I follow TV news. Most don't and they'll be disappointed at 12:00 when the new look debuts.

I managed to find a few tidbits of viewer hate for the graphics:

9 mins · Canyon Lake, TX ·

This is a comment on the new band at the bottom of the screen. My husband and I absolutely hate it. It blocks the bottom fifth of the screen, is way to bright, and is almost impossible to ignore. I will watch other stations if I have to deal with that all the time. I have been upset numerous times because something that the newsperson was talking about was not visible due to the bar on the bottom. It is not a help; it is extremely annoying.

23 mins · Pleasanton, TX ·

I like but don't like the new changes. I have a 40" tv and b/c of te new changes, I can barely see the logo in the lower right corner and can't see the entire 7day forecasts. I do like the forecasted stories and the colors but I have tried changing my picture setting but no help. Maybe you can change your video settings so all of your viewers can enjoy the new features. I am very loyal viewer and I don't want to change to a different channel b/c of this. Thank you.

and my favorite:

32 mins ·

Like the new colors, don't like that more screen space is being taken. Also, letting the viewers know the story being presented is kind of insulting. If we are watching and listening, don't you think we know what the story is about?

I managed to find a few tidbits of viewer hate for the graphics:

Of course Gannett is forcing the stations to ignore the comments, because rolling back to the Hothaus won't happen.

I'd be the happiest guy on the planet when one of the ex-Belos have the stones to say "these new graphics come from our new parent company that also owns the USA Today." Saying that they were getting rid of clutter cliche (at least one of the ex Belos said that) was only for the original Gannett stations that swept away the insane Randy Pyburn POS graphics. (That man is so damn overrated.) Belo never used them, so therefore there is no reason to say that.

Here's a montage of the 4PM news. Sorry the open got cut off. They turned on the livestream literally as the newscast was starting. You're not missing much since it's the same as the noon. Video includes KENS' spin on what the new graphics mean to the viewer.

BTW, the "5" traced transition they're using dates to their 2005 graphics package. It's looked out of place in every pkg they've used since 2007 but it's managed to survive five graphics packages.

[yt]XIJoK_1thjE[/yt]

Here's a montage of the 4PM news. Sorry the open got cut off. They turned on the livestream literally as the newscast was starting. You're not missing much since it's the same as the noon. Video includes KENS' spin on what the new graphics mean to the viewer.

BTW, the "5" traced transition they're using dates to their 2005 graphics package. It's looked out of place in every pkg they've used since 2007 but it's managed to survive five graphics packages.

1. At least they did a better job of tagging colors at 4.

2. Do they really break up their newscasts with an episode of Jeopardy at 4:30?

I couldn't help to laugh my ass off at 13:00 with sanewsguy's last video. They developed the graphics. Lie! Less clutter. Another Lie! We are making it user friendly. Another lie! (look at their Fb page!) Again, I'll repeat this - I'll be the happiest guy on the planet when an ex-Belo station can just be honest and say its done by their new owner.

2. Do they really break up their newscasts with an episode of Jeopardy at 4:30?

Could be they do better in ratings, I can't speak for sure since I don't live in that market. The CT zone is interesting when some syndies run as opposed to the ET area. I think WLS runs Jeopardy at 3:30?

(sidenote) Deborah Knapp, wasn't she in Philadelphia many moons ago? I've seen that face on retro clips of WCAU if I am not mistaken.

Could be they do better in ratings, I can't speak for sure since I don't live in that market. The CT zone is interesting when some syndies run as opposed to the ET area. I think WLS runs Jeopardy at 3:30?

(sidenote) Deborah Knapp, wasn't she in Philadelphia many moons ago? I've seen that face on retro clips of WCAU if I am not mistaken.

For the first 28 seasons, then moved an hour earlier two years ago; will return to its 3:30 slot this coming fall.

It's aired at 4:30 (when KNXV had it) and in the 7:00 hour on KTVK now (which IIRC was where it was when KTVK had it in the late 90s/early 2000s). Phoenix is probably the only market in the middle of the country where Wheel and Jeopardy air at 7/7:30.