TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

I remember the days when the local news anchors were like my parents. You NEVER befriended your parents "back in the day." probably in the last 2 decades, it seems like there is this very inappropriate relationships between the viewer and the air talent. I don't like it.

Where's the authority in local TV these days?

Probably when local news talent got younger and younger and of course TV is trying to go after the younger demo now. The young perceive these old people with "authority" to be mean-spirited goons. So, in an effort to get the younger demo, it seems like TV is stooping down to their level.

Is it inappropriate? Absolutely. It kinda sickens me actually to look at the social media pages of anchors/reporters that viewers perceive as attractive and read all the comments from perverts, such as "You always look good, (insert name here)." or "Good Morning, ---. I hope you're having a great day today!" Almost always it's some weirdo posting that because most regular people do not look up to the news personalities as their friend. If I saw them in a grocery store and said "Hi", that's one thing and something I don't have a problem with people doing. Sometimes you can't help it, as somebody you see on TV.

But I think social media takes it too far. To think they're attractive is one thing and I'm sure it's a feeling a lot of us have. But to actually engage in conversation with them is kicking up a notch and I think it takes it way too far.

Technology and social media has definitely made it easier to communicate with these news personalities. All I have to do is find them on Twitter or Facebook. Hell, one local meteorologist here in San Antonio (won't say who) doesn't even have a public fan page. He just allow viewers to friend his personal Facebook page. That I think is taking it way too far. You don't even personally know them and quite honestly I don't need to know or care about what's happening in the weatherman's personal life.

Then again, I wouldn't limit it to just news but look at society as a whole. Some teachers in grade school now give out their cell phone numbers to students and try to be their friend. Maybe I didn't know better then, but now at an older age, I think it's inappropriate. They're there to be your teacher, just like the news anchors are just there to give you the news. Nothing more. It's definitely a blurry line.

I think I'm the most interested in how Gannett brands KIDY & KXVA, considering it's their first Fox affiliates. Typically most Fox affiliates go for a bolder, more brighter, more animated look than what their current graphics are.

I think I'm the most interested in how Gannett brands KIDY & KXVA, considering it's their first Fox affiliates. Typically most Fox affiliates go for a bolder, more brighter, more animated look than what their current graphics are.

If no other station got a special look, what makes you think KIDY and KXVA will be treated special? There's Fox affiliates like Sinclair's legacy stations that didn't get anything special.

If no other station got a special look, what makes you think KIDY and KXVA will be treated special? There's Fox affiliates like Sinclair's legacy stations that didn't get anything special.

It's not that I'm expecting different behavior... It's that it'll seem "non-normal" to me personally to see a Fox broadcast not all bright and shiny looking.

According to inside sources, KXVA/KIDY will get a full rebrand with the Gannett standard look.

I am still waiting to see what the ex-London Stations will look like, and when to expect changes.

Does anyone know if any of these stations (KIII, KCEN, etc) air the "Gannett: It's all within reach" plug at the end of their newscasts??

They do, as Al-SA-TX confirmed it here.

Here's a full shot of KXVA's newscast, with the Gannett end-tag.

[yt]3iO1sVWS96M[/yt]

Anyone else notice the large Texas stickers on the back of Rick Tomlin's iPad with the Gannett logo on it? New Texas Branding perhaps?

Since Gannett planted their flag here in Texas and bought Belo Corp & London Broadcasting, what are the chances Gannett will purchase TV stations in Midland/Odessa, Amarillo, El Paso, and/or Lubbock?

I don't think anyone's selling up in the El Paso market unless NP&G puts KVIA on the block

Here's a full shot of KXVA's newscast, with the Gannett end-tag.

Anyone else notice the large Texas stickers on the back of Rick Tomlin's iPad with the Gannett logo on it? New Texas Branding perhaps?

Is it just me or their studio in a bathroom - it has a bit of an echo. Also they were truly creative with their radar name Max Storm - I take it that if WSI named their product Weather A (as in the source input) that's what they would have branded it as.

I would love to see how KIDY and KXVA will implement the Gannett graphics. Only time will tell when that will happen though....

Is it just me or their studio in a bathroom - it has a bit of an echo. Also they were truly creative with their radar name Max Storm - I take it that if WSI named their product Weather A (as in the source input) that's what they would have branded it as.

For starters, they may have to get an actual set. They are literally barebones. If you look at the weekend newscast on their sister, they don't even show the weather radar -- the presenter (because I'm not sure if anchor should be used) reads everything. See below:

[yt]uMx0nStDY9c[/yt]

The changes from Gannett will be huge, because so far -- their graphics look like they were done in Powerpoint. At least KIII and KCEN have better productions and presentations.

Hopefully KENS will still have theirs on schedule for tomorrow.

All indications point to that happening. Also, somebody else will need to get the open because my tuner hasn't come in yet and I won't be at home during the day tomorrow.

Bonus points to someone who can get the open without using Bandicam (because I hate the damn watermark because people won't pay the $35). If nobody can't get the open or somebody uses free bandicam to get it, then I will post full evening newscasts.

For starters, they may have to get an actual set. They are literally barebones. If you look at the weekend newscast on their sister, they don't even show the weather radar -- the presenter (because I'm not sure if anchor should be used) reads everything. See below:

[yt]uMx0nStDY9c[/yt]

The changes from Gannett will be huge, because so far -- their graphics look like they were done in Powerpoint. At least KIII and KCEN have better productions and presentations.

That video was from before their current news operation launched. I don't even think they have newscasts on the weekends currently. I can tell you that was actually an improvement from what they had under Bayou City:

[yt]Zhpr7JkFH2c[/yt]

If you look at some of the oldest videos on that YouTube channel, I love how they have all these promos for KABB's news and basically attempt to pass it off as their own.

If Gannett wants to build out a full studio then they would need to find new quarters. The current building in San Angelo looks super small so I think the use of a virtual set and in that particular space was kind of necessary and not by choice.

And I think Gannett will build them out a control room. It looks like they're using a TriCaster system. That's not a bad thing, but its capabilities are limited over a full PCR system. I don't know if they have any microwave vans either to go live. It doesn't appear so.

If they want to see how a small market standalone Fox affiliate should be run, they need to take a look at KJTV in Lubbock. For that market size, KJTV does an impressive job.

All indications point to that happening. Also, somebody else will need to get the open because my tuner hasn't come in yet and I won't be at home during the day tomorrow.

Bonus points to someone who can get the open without using Bandicam (because I hate the damn watermark because people won't pay the $35). If nobody can't get the open or somebody uses free bandicam to get it, then I will post full evening newscasts.

That video was from before their current news operation launched. I don't even think they have newscasts on the weekends currently. I can tell you that was actually an improvement from what they had under Bayou City:

If you look at some of the oldest videos on that YouTube channel, I love how they have all these promos for KABB's news and basically attempt to pass it off as their own.

If Gannett wants to build out a full studio then they would need to find new quarters. The current building in San Angelo looks super small so I think the use of a virtual set and in that particular space was kind of necessary and not by choice.

And I think Gannett will build them out a control room. It looks like they're using a TriCaster system. That's not a bad thing, but its capabilities are limited over a full PCR system. I don't know if they have any microwave vans either to go live. It doesn't appear so.

If they want to see how a small market standalone Fox affiliate should be run, they need to take a look at KJTV in Lubbock. For that market size, KJTV does an impressive job.

Not likely for KIDY. We just moved into this building in January of this year before we launched our news operation, and our building is surprisingly large. I'm surprised no one around here has mentioned the thought of Gannett completely splitting the KXVA/KIDY operations...I just want to point out that is a possibility.

Trust me, I would prefer to use a full production switcher board. Tricaster is great to a certain extent, but as you mentioned it has it's limitations. As for live shots, we utlize something called tarradaks (I'm not even sure how to spell that) which basically means we rely on cell phone signal to send a signal back to the station, but we have not been very successful in getting it to work. We are working with new options, and are testing out some new equipment tomorrow, actually. Again, I would prefer live trucks, but for a small market that kind of equipment does not come cheap.

Not likely for KIDY. We just moved into this building in January of this year before we launched our news operation, and our building is surprisingly large. I'm surprised no one around here has mentioned the thought of Gannett completely splitting the KXVA/KIDY operations...I just want to point out that is a possibility.

Trust me, I would prefer to use a full production switcher board. Tricaster is great to a certain extent, but as you mentioned it has it's limitations. As for live shots, we utlize something called tarradaks (I'm not even sure how to spell that) which basically means we rely on cell phone signal to send a signal back to the station, but we have not been very successful in getting it to work. We are working with new options, and are testing out some new equipment tomorrow, actually. Again, I would prefer live trucks, but for a small market that kind of equipment does not come cheap.

I always forget that you are around AI. Question -- when you say not likely, do you mean on the moving front or the set build-out?

I didn't realize they just moved. New studios are on 5 S. Chadbourne and their previous facility was on Irving St. I was looking at the Irving St. facility which was super small. Though the new building isn't super big by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, looking on Google Maps, it looks like it used to be a bank building and then KIDY bought it and moved in. Wow, news to me.

EDIT: Yep, a former CitiBank and the list price was $550,000. London got it dirt cheap. It's 12,130 Square feet, so it's not huge, but for that market it looks to be a reasonable size. Maybe there's room in the building to build a new set...

http://www.sanangelo.org/uptown/realestate/Under%2020000%20sq%20ft/Citibank.pdf

KXVA would have to find its own facility they are currently in an office building which I assume is just a sales office right now.

Maybe they'll be looking into the LIVE-U backpacks that KABB here uses. The quality isn't great but it's reliable for the most part, unless the cell network in that area is congested, which unless there's big news, it's not. But it's always nice to have at least one truck to go live with. But the cost is much cheaper. I think the backpack is $10,000 while a live truck is half a million. Take your pick.

I always forget that you are around AI. Question -- when you say not likely, do you mean on the moving front or the set build-out?

Moving -- I think our KIDY operations are here to stay at our current location. A set would be fantastic, we have the space for one, it'll require some additional construction but it's possible. Just the lack of funds, I suppose.

I didn't realize they just moved. New studios are on 5 S. Chadbourne and their previous facility was on Irving St. I was looking at the Irving St. facility which was super small. Though the new building isn't super big by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, looking on Google Maps, it looks like it used to be a bank building and then KIDY bought it and moved in. Wow, news to me.

EDIT: Yep, a former CitiBank and the list price was $550,000. London got it dirt cheap. It's 12,130 Square feet, so it's not huge, but for that market it looks to be a reasonable size. Maybe there's room in the building to build a new set...

http://www.sanangelo.org/uptown/realestate/Under%2020000%20sq%20ft/Citibank.pdf

KXVA would have to find its own facility they are currently in an office building which I assume is just a sales office right now.

Maybe they'll be looking into the LIVE-U backpacks that KABB here uses. The quality isn't great but it's reliable for the most part, unless the cell network in that area is congested, which unless there's big news, it's not. But it's always nice to have at least one truck to go live with. But the cost is much cheaper. I think the backpack is $10,000 while a live truck is half a million. Take your pick.

Compared to the KLST/KSAN studios, we have a decently sized building with some unused space downstairs. As you mentioned, it was a bank so there is a vault down there that is deemed a "fall out shelter". If you look at google maps, there is a tunnel that was used for a drive through...our studio is located on the other side of that wall in the drive through. We use that drive through space as parking now, but if we really wanted to expand we can close off that drive through and expand our studio space, I think that would give us some more room for a set.

KXVA is currently settled into a office space area. We have AEs who work there and a newsroom for our reporters. It's not very big.

a09d397bcb498253af1b9da437120e75.png

KIDY's building, with a logo I've never seen used on the sign.

be5a0c6a0d222582ae6c10c254d393ca.png

KXVA's office (used to be a fed-ex shop). It now has a KXVA sign out front.

That's not the right location for KIDY. That's our old building.

Yes, KENS will debuting them today at noon and I will be capping the open from their live feed.

KENS ran a PKG fronted by Meteorologist Jeremy Baker during the 5:30AM news today. He basically said that KENS5's goal is to make information easier to digest (yeah right) and that this new graphics package will do just that. Guess what, they showed previews of the L3 gfx in the PKG and guess what, it gets cut off on my screen! How is that making information "easier to digest"? At least with the current gfx, the L3 information is still within the safe zone. Yes, the live bug and infobox already get chopped off but now some of the information is.

They did run a VO-less open in the PKG but it's not anything special because Baker was talking over it.. They are not implementing their network logo (CBS) like the rest of the Gannett group has. This is a first.

He proclaimed this new look is "awesome" and is a new approach at bringing you the information you need. They've been doing it on their website for a month and will now be bringing it to your television screen.

They did not get specific on colors but I'm assuming they will at noon. The obligatory USA Today reference, which 5 has successfully managed to avoid, will probably be coming at noon as well.

Guess I'm sticking with channel 4 or 12. But even with KSAT's new Graham GFX, they adjusted their time/temp bug so now the temperature gets cut off on a tube TV. Not everybody has a flat screen, you know.

BTW, Mat Garcia (KENS5 morning anchor) says he pretty confident everybody will be enjoying this new look. Think again. It sucks. I'm just one step ahead of the average viewer because I follow TV news. Most don't and they'll be disappointed at 12:00 when the new look debuts.