TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Well, here in Charlotte WCNC is in damage control..... https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=763396377035188&id=119243191450513

POSTED LIKE THE THIRD TIME TODAY! Gannett really needs to figure out how to switch it where it's like CNN SD..... How it's stretched out wide. Was it like this for other gannett stations when they launched?

That's actually nothing new. Every ex-Belo station has gotten some kind of hate about the change to the semi-permanent L3's -- they just aren't used to it for local news, Frankly, I'm more shocked that people still keep their TV sets on "zoom" anyway -- they end up cutting off ALOT of their other TV show pictures.

Also, what do you mean "stretch out"? Being that thought Gannett's L3 are in the safe box, the only problem with people's TV sets are their own TV settings.

My favorite one: "cutting off all te bottom junk is preferable".... do they also realize they are cutting off the top and side of the screen as well? smh.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=762893610418798

I just got home from visiting friends in Houston - they have a widescreen HD TV, yet still go to 2, 11, 13, 26, etc. (SD feeds) on AT&T Uverse abd watch everything SD stretched, even more fun if the channel is letterboxed - stretched with black at the top and bottom.

I've given up trying to get them to go to 1002, 1011, 1013, 1026, etc.

I had no trouble with my parents in their 70s - heck they're amazed at the quality, even on a 720p large screen...

J

I just got home from visiting friends in Houston - they have a widescreen HD TV, yet still go to 2, 11, 13, 26, etc. (SD feeds) on AT&T Uverse abd watch everything SD stretched, even more fun if the channel is letterboxed - stretched with black at the top and bottom.

I've given up trying to get them to go to 1002, 1011, 1013, 1026, etc.

I had no trouble with my parents in their 70s - heck they're amazed at the quality, even on a 720p large screen...

J

I'm willing to bet they're paying for a High Definition box from AT&T too....

OK, who will it be this week for the graphics change?

1) KTVB

2) KREM

3) KENS

4) KVUE

5) KHOU

6) WFAA

Not many left from the BELO era!

There was previous talk of having all the stations switched before the end of August, but alas, there have been no mumblings in recent days of stations who will switch.

I'm curious to see what design "Great Day SA" gets when the main newscasts get the Gannett look. GDSA uses a variant of the main Hothaus pack and so it'll look odd to see new graphics on the news and then the same old graphics on GDSA. Anybody ever thought about that predicament?

Also, I wish KENS5 would get the new graphics already. Whenever they show a map it looks weird because it basically clashes with everything else and the font doesn't match. However, from watching this evening, there's no sign aside from maps that they're getting new graphics.

I'm curious to see what design "Great Day SA" gets when the main newscasts get the Gannett look. GDSA uses a variant of the main Hothaus pack and so it'll look odd to see new graphics on the news and then the same old graphics on GDSA. Anybody ever thought about that predicament?

Also, I wish KENS5 would get the new graphics already. Whenever they show a map it looks weird because it basically clashes with everything else and the font doesn't match. However, from watching this evening, there's no sign aside from maps that they're getting new graphics.

KPNX's Arizona Midday is completely separate.

Is that an ACTUAL legitimate news program? Looks more infomercial-ish to me.

No, it's not a newscast (they have a noon show). Four of the five main stations in Phoenix have this type of lifestyle/paid-segment program.

No, it's not a newscast (they have a noon show). Four of the five main stations in Phoenix have this type of lifestyle/paid-segment program.

I thought it looked fairly the same way. WVEC has the same thing at 12:50, ending the noon show as well. But they also use totally different graphics than the actual newscast.

I'd look to one of the stations that currently has an "extended" morning broadcast to see how they're broadcasting the L3s. I know WCNC has "Charlotte Today" but I known there's other stations that has similar programs.

They signed on last week. But Tonight, it's KGW!!!

I've been checking up on ux.kgw the past couple days. The talent bios still aren't finished, as a couple people lack photos. Some of these people have them because they were on the old site.

Also nice to see they shrinked the size of the logo in the header down. It was HUGE when they were testing it. It looks better now.

Well, looks like no one made a TV graphics change this week. I haven't seen any "teasers" on KTVB or KREM...figured they would be next.

It appears ux.wfaa.com is up, as well as ux.nwcn.com. ux.king5.com has been working at times, usually errors out. So, there is more to come..

Well, looks like no one made a TV graphics change this week. I haven't seen any "teasers" on KTVB or KREM...figured they would be next.

It appears ux.wfaa.com is up, as well as ux.nwcn.com. ux.king5.com has been working at times, usually errors out. So, there is more to come..

Based on the fact that G3 hasn't touched a single Texas market station yet -- you're probably right on the KTVB or KREM, both to catch up with their bigger KING clustered brethren.

On the website front, WFAA is at least a while away (still in October 2009 for content). KING and NWCN are up to about April of this year with their content loading, so they'd probably launch in a week or two.

Notice that the KGW site doesn't directly make mention of Gannett ownership (i.e. no words say "A Gannett Company"), I guess the ownership issue is playing a role in the site designs.

I noticed that a few days ago. What's ironic however is that KING5's website (which is still in production) still has "A Gannett Company" listed in their to-be-debuted website logo

I would expect WHAS and KGW to NOT have the Gannett ownership line, as both are owned by Sander. I would expect KING to have it, they are wholly owned by Gannett.

TOTALLY forgot about that...