TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

From the clips I've seen thus far, i'm impreseed. It's a major improvement over the previous package, and even the Belo graphics that preceded them.

I like how they go back and forth on the bug from WCNC to CHARLOTTE, but my only critique is that the peacock is slightly off between the two graphics; they don't line up.

It's a breath of fresh air that brings them on a higher level with WBTV and WSOC, and with their new look, really ties in with their set. WBTV and WSOC look very cheap in comparison with their sets (and WSOC's aging graphics).

Is it me or Is some shots of WSOC set oversaturated? i do think that the biggest problem with the new gannett graphics is that they aren't SD safe.... They're designed for 16x9 not 4x3 ratio!

I have this crazy feeling that WFAA is going to get a new logo...

I don't see why they would... They already have the network worked into their primary logo. If anything, I think they'd drop the WFAA and call it News 8 or Channel 8 News.

Now, while we're on the subject of logos...

Dear God, those London stations actually might benefit from the Gannett look. And the Gannett CMS. And probably Gannett itself.

Most of the London stations, Yes. But for the love of God, please don't kill this logo. As I said back in May:

But whatever they do cosmetically, I hope Gannett don't drop KIII's iconic circle-3 logo.

ac467e56cbffde1ae88e983a46bb8859.jpg

Most of the London stations, Yes. But for the love of God, please don't kill this logo. As I said back in May:

ac467e56cbffde1ae88e983a46bb8859.jpg

I can't picture that with the new Gannett graphics. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. And since Gannett likes to include the network logo with the station logo, it will look even more odd to see the ABC logo with KIII 3 (the only time I've ever seen the ABC logo with the KIII one is during the bug they air for five seconds during national ABC programing before the main ABC logo shows up)

Hopefully I have an excuse to go to Corpus Christi next year so I can get KIII news footage with their new graphics (I go to Corpus every couple of years, if you have no reason to go, don't, it's a dump with the most horrible drinking water I've ever encountered).

I'm going to miss Third Coast though. This Is Home does not fit Corpus at all and I'm kinda nervous to see how KENS manages to use it. Also, I will go buy a TV tuner before KENS gets the new graphics so I can upload high quality footage and not see some dude upload video from their livestream.

I can't picture that with the new Gannett graphics. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. And since Gannett likes to include the network logo with the station logo, it will look even more odd to see the ABC logo with KIII 3 (the only time I've ever seen the ABC logo with the KIII one is during the bug they air for five seconds during national ABC programing before the main ABC logo shows up)

Hopefully I have an excuse to go to Corpus Christi next year so I can get KIII news footage with their new graphics (I go to Corpus every couple of years, if you have no reason to go, don't, it's a dump with the most horrible drinking water I've ever encountered).

I'm going to miss Third Coast though. This Is Home does not fit Corpus at all and I'm kinda nervous to see how KENS manages to use it. Also, I will go buy a TV tuner before KENS gets the new graphics so I can upload high quality footage and not see some dude upload video from their livestream.

It will look weird, but it's not optional since ABC is requiring all of their affiliates to tack on the ABC logo next to their logo.

It will look weird, but it's not optional since ABC is requiring all of their affiliates to tack on the ABC logo next to their logo.

This must be a new mandate. When I was there last year, the ABC logo was almost nowhere to be found on KIII's air. If you didn't see network programming, you'd have almost no idea they're an ABC affiliate.

This must be a new mandate. When I was there last year, the ABC logo was almost nowhere to be found on KIII's air. If you didn't see network programming, you'd have almost no idea they're an ABC affiliate.

I can't recall if/when this new mandate was written into each affiliates' renewals with ABC, but I do know that in KGTV's case they added the ABC logo in either 2009 or 2010 when they had never displayed the ABC logo next to the 10. Someone on this forum mentioned the new mandate a while back. Another case of a station adding the ABC logo next to theirs was WFAA. And I believe that a station was required/allowed to add the ABC logo the next time they got a new graphics package.

I can't recall if/when this new mandate was written into each affiliates' renewals with ABC, but I do know that in KGTV's case they added the ABC logo in either 2009 or 2010 when they had never displayed the ABC logo next to the 10. Someone on this forum mentioned the new mandate a while back. Another case of a station adding the ABC logo next to theirs was WFAA. And I believe that a station was required/allowed to add the ABC logo the next time they got a new graphics package.

WXYZ was May 2009 so the GO package had the logo for 5 months before the switch to Scripps V1.

Somebody pass that to WSB-TV/Atlanta there no ABC logo attach to that golden 2...Wish they would go ahead and place the network logo next to the station number.

Somebody pass that to WSB-TV/Atlanta there no ABC logo attach to that golden 2...Wish they would go ahead and place the network logo next to the station number.

Here are WSB's...

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/WSB-TV?file=Wsbabc.png (used in the '90s and 2000s)

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/WSB-TV?file=2010_WSB_logo.jpg (with the 2007 ABC logo)

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/WSB-TV?file=WSB_logo.jpg (with the 2013 ABC logo)

According to Logopedia, these are used for network promos.

Oh, and WRIC added the ABC logo next to their 2004 square 8 logo since 2010.

Okay. There are a few things that annoy me about the Gannett Graphics, however, the biggest annoyance to me is how they categorize stories. If you're talking about an app, its not LIFE! IT'S TECH! I mean come on! I wonder if there is some type of flow chart regarding choosing a story category.

Okay. There are a few things that annoy me about the Gannett Graphics, however, the biggest annoyance to me is how they categorize stories. If you're talking about an app, its not LIFE! IT'S TECH! I mean come on! I wonder if there is some type of flow chart regarding choosing a story category.

I'll take the USATODAY-owned stations more seriously if they just act like the real damned paper, like use 4 colors instead.

As a producer, I can't even imagine the extra time/forethought it takes to make sure the segment colors match.

It's hard enough in my shop, which is perpetually understaffed, to remember to click the drop down menu to add one of the scrolling banners (breaking news, developing news, weather alert, etc) when creating a super on the fly, much less have to remember which segment belongs under which color.

As a producer, I can't even imagine the extra time/forethought it takes to make sure the segment colors match.

It's hard enough in my shop, which is perpetually understaffed, to remember to click the drop down menu to add one of the scrolling banners (breaking news, developing news, weather alert, etc) when creating a super on the fly, much less have to remember which segment belongs under which color.

In re to "understaffed" that would explain the "20th Century Budget" I sometime joke to the family about when Fox does shows with a really tight budget. I coined that referring to the earlier seasons of the X Files' cheap quality, in your case its a flagship O&O.

At least you got the ability to run a Chyron on the fly, not sure how Gannett can do that, let alone what you described.

I guess I should disambiguate what I mean by "chyron.". This isn't the big bulky machine with a separate operator that is traditionally meant by the word. To be sure that still exists (and some smaller stations may actually still use it) even at FOX, but rarely is it used.

The chyron I talking about is an interface for our newsroom computer system. It's a window I can open (within Inews) that shows me all of the available templates for our package, images (for secondary bugs, fullscreens and OTS elements), and pdr clips. It also allows me to create any image as needed.

Once I'm done creating the banner (or fullscreen, etc), I drag and drop the thumbnail image into the script, which allows the director to see it and key it over the video.

There are also drop down menus that allow me to select the scrolling banner and "upper bugs" (such as the live bug and courtesy banner).

Gannett uses the same software (in the training module, it actually uses Gannett's previous gfx package as training examples).

I would imagine at the Gannett stations, one of those drop down menus controls the "segment" color scheme.

But if/when you're the only person assigned to a show (producing, writing & boothing it) and your on deadline or there's a breaking news adder, it's difficult to remember all those little things when your just trying to get it on the air.

Well, here in Charlotte WCNC is in damage control..... https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=763396377035188&id=119243191450513

POSTED LIKE THE THIRD TIME TODAY! Gannett really needs to figure out how to switch it where it's like CNN SD..... How it's stretched out wide. Was it like this for other gannett stations when they launched?

Those kind of complaints are common. And the screen issue is a setting on their TV, even if they don't think it is. Alot of people like to watch zoomed TV, as it's like it was in the past, and not in the wide screen. This is one of the first news packages that is completely based on widescreen and not 4:3.

It all stops after a few days.