TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

It's official. WCNC getting new Graphics on July 30th! Aired a new promo during the Today show.... And their logo.... WCNC. Interesting to note that that they still called themselves NBC Charlotte.

That will make WCNC (NBC Charlotte) the first ex-Belo to have both the new website and the new on-air graphics.

And it's no secret they'd revert to simply branding by call letters -- NBC Charlotte gave off too much of an O&O feel, at least on my opinion.

Yeah. In not suprised either. The footprint that Garnett has for the logo in the L3 is to skinny and wide for the current NBC CLT logo to fit in.

They can move the temp/time bug to the left just like what they did with WXIA Atlanta.

Can someone post a link for said promo?

It isn't on their promo YouTube channel yet (WCNCviral) and I can't get my dish login to work, but here's a pic of the commercial I took. It's interesting to see that they did change the color of the news to a bright blue.

image.thumb.jpg.9edb5c7ffe665bee3e6f28d1eefcf766.jpg

Considering how hideous modern local TV logos tend to be, bland logos are probably the better route...

Modern logos are just as bland and (sometimes, more) hideous as they comes. I'm sick of these new clean looking uncharacterizing ones, instead of the older, more characterized logos with that "oomph" and "stank" on it, and it would have more lasting power.

It isn't on their promo YouTube channel yet (WCNCviral) and I can't get my dish login to work, but here's a pic of the commercial I took. It's interesting to see that they did change the color of the news to a bright blue.

And that green in Money is more like a neon-like green color, like they want the colors to pop more so it can get the viewers attention.

And that green in Money is more like a neon-like green color, like they want the colors to pop more so it can get the viewers attention.

Maybe they changed the colors to match that VERY bright studio they have.... the dark palette of the Gannett L3's kinda clash with that studio.

Guest NewsHound

The colors and the logo are the least of WCNC's problems. It's about time the Deathstar goes in and cleans house, dump all and start over. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. WCNC has tried and failed and tried and failed for years to reinvent themselves with new graphics and logo and brand, but they haven't touched the problem. The problem is the format of the newscasts, and the very people that are in front of the camera. Sonja Gantt has been like the Stefany Fisher (WGCL) of Charlotte, despite the countless changes, she's the one thing that remains the same... Maybe just maybe it's your anchor pairings? Maybe just maybe it's your delivery? If I remember correctly WCNC didn't work as the Carolinas' News Connection, and I don't imagine the WCNC brand working now.

One thing we can all agree on, at least they aren't MyFOX Carolinas...you know Fox would have been better off buying the mediocre WCNC and making that the new Fox O&O, at least they would have a somewhat more decent news department, still a pig with lipstick on it but beggars can't be choosers up against WBTV and scare the hell out of you Channel 9.

The colors and the logo are the least of WCNC's problems. It's about time the Deathstar goes in and cleans house, dump all and start over. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. WCNC has tried and failed and tried and failed for years to reinvent themselves with new graphics and logo and brand, but they haven't touched the problem. The problem is the format of the newscasts, and the very people that are in front of the camera. Sonja Gantt has been like the Stefany Fisher (WGCL) of Charlotte, despite the countless changes, she's the one thing that remains the same... Maybe just maybe it's your anchor pairings? Maybe just maybe it's your delivery? If I remember correctly WCNC didn't work as the Carolinas' News Connection, and I don't imagine the WCNC brand working now.

One thing we can all agree on, at least they aren't MyFOX Carolinas...you know Fox would have been better off buying the mediocre WCNC and making that the new Fox O&O, at least they would have a somewhat more decent news department, still a pig with lipstick on it but beggars can't be choosers up against WBTV and scare the hell out of you Channel 9.

Hey, at least WCNC has way more stability than WGCL.

Maybe they changed the colors to match that VERY bright studio they have.... the dark palette of the Gannett L3's kinda clash with that studio.

Again..... I wish they'd change the color of the background lights to match what type of story they are doing. I know that only one person in the history of the new set got permission to change the color of the lights and that was Dion Lim for her Dions daily deals during the 4PM newscast with Sonja gantt. I know there are some other anchors that wish they'd Change the lights to other colors besides the blue (now the ugly grey)

Hey Deathstar, do us a favor and stop using bland logos for your stations. THANK YOU!!!

Edit: Probably should change my avatar since WKYC is owned by Gannett.

It's up to the station, not the parent, though there is a mandate that each station use their network affiliate logo.

It's up to the station, not the parent, though there is a mandate that each station use their network affiliate logo.

If this is the case, maybe KENS will get to use the CBS eye logo in their graphics if/when they debut a new logo.

If KENS ever did introduce a new logo with the eye, my guess is that it would debut with the new on-air L3 graphics, whenever it is their turn to get them.

The current WCNC / NBC Charlotte look is just cheap looking. Century Gothic is a lousy font to use for television, and I have a problem with stations using fonts that are readily available on virtually EVERY PC in existence.

Same goes for Tahoma / Verdana, Arial and Times New Roman.

I'm partial to Helvetica, since it's a more refined and less PC-oriented font with lots of variations (like the Neue series) Gotham and the DIN fonts are growing on me, as well...

If this is the case, maybe KENS will get to use the CBS eye logo in their graphics if/when they debut a new logo.

If KENS ever did introduce a new logo with the eye, my guess is that it would debut with the new on-air L3 graphics, whenever it is their turn to get them.

KENS needs a new logo. The current one is ugly as hell. No way could they incorporate the CBS eye without it looking out of place.

The current WCNC / NBC Charlotte look is just cheap looking. Century Gothic is a lousy font to use for television, and I have a problem with stations using fonts that are readily available on virtually EVERY PC in existence.

Same goes for Tahoma / Verdana, Arial and Times New Roman.

I'm partial to Helvetica, since it's a more refined and less PC-oriented font with lots of variations (like the Neue series) Gotham and the DIN fonts are growing on me, as well...

I'm a designer myself and I love DIN. And im also pretty sure that it's not cebtury gothic..... Futura actually since they have so many varying widths. But whatever it is, it is indeed cheap looking.