TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

You must really hate the Ft. Myers-Naples, FL market then.

The only ones that doesn't use their cable positions in their branding is WINK and WGCU.

Not to mention Palm Springs where every single number is a cable position.

I'm not sure how long they've been on, but WVEC on the air right now because of those deadly storms that hit their area earlier today.

They have been on air off and on since this morning, when the tornado came through at 8:30ish. Originally still using their old graphics, they went back to regular programming at 11:15 and booted up the Gannett graphics, only to have to come back on at 11:40 for another warning. They've then bounced around off and on as conditions warranted.

I'm currently trying to capture the video...hopefully I can get it turned around in a short time span.

They have been on air off and on since this morning, when the tornado came through at 8:30ish. Originally still using their old graphics, they went back to regular programming at 11:15 and booted up the Gannett graphics, only to have to come back on at 11:40 for another warning. They've then bounced around off and on as conditions warranted.

I'm currently trying to capture the video...hopefully I can get it turned around in a short time span.

I was talking about when they came back on since they'd last signed off at 1pm.

Has any station ever switched out their graphics system while a news/weather emergency was taking place? This could be a first.

you're talking like the ones used for EAS? There probably is a downtime no less than 15 minutes I bet. Maybe an hour at the worse case. I'd assume (knowing general IT and older tech) is you prep up the new machine, switch over to the new one and shut down the old one in a timely matter to have a seamless cutover (to the viewer in this case.)

I did manage to grab a few video grabs from noon. Notice how they use the Breaking News color for their Storm Mode Coverage.

Every broadcast since noon was in "Storm Mode". I'll try to get another set tomorrow when coverage returns to normal mode.

That logo does not match the graphics at all. The gold version of the ABC logo makes it look even worse.

Previously, all the lettering and numbering was gold, including the website logo. They've had that logo (the ABC13 logo) for about two years now, since they switched station branding to "ABC 13". News branding switched to 13News Now last year.

So if my record keeping is up to date, the following stations have yet to make the switch to the Gannett graphics:

WCNC (Poss July 30)

WFAA (Poss Aug 20)

KHOU

KENS

KVUE

KREM

KTVB

And all London Broadcasting Stations.

The following stations have yet to make their website switch:

WVEC

WHAS

WWL

WFAA

KHOU

KREM

KING

NWCN

KGW

All London Broadcasting Stations.

Anyone seen any teasers about changes coming with any of these stations?

No teases, but KHOU and KGW both have their new sites back-loading content from their old BIM sites into the Presto design. KHOU (http://ux.khou.com), I think will launch sooner rather than later, because they are up to June 2014, while KGW (http://ux.kgw.com) is still in April of 2013.

None of the other stations have those "UX" subdomains up just yet.

So if my record keeping is up to date, the following stations have yet to make the switch to the Gannett graphics:

WCNC (Poss July 30)

WFAA (Poss Aug 20)

KHOU

KENS

KVUE

KREM

KTVB

And all London Broadcasting Stations.

The following stations have yet to make their website switch:

WVEC

WHAS

WWL

WFAA

KHOU

KREM

KING

NWCN

KGW

All London Broadcasting Stations.

Anyone seen any teasers about changes coming with any of these stations?

Sometimes the best is saved for last. One would hope (but not counting on it) where they would focus on the Texas stations and put some legacy branding (like The Spirit) and incorporate it into TIH. But I am not holding my breath.

Sometimes the best is saved for last. One would hope (but not counting on it) where they would focus on the Texas stations and put some legacy branding (like The Spirit) and incorporate it into TIH. But I am not holding my breath.

Post-London, Gannett now covers 83% of Texas households now, a number I'm sure is unprecedented in media conglomeration for a single state. Honestly I think that is probably a part of the Texas cluster has yet to pick up the new branding. Especially in the markets where there has been little change, I think TX will see some of the heaviest backlash from the viewers over the graphics change (and probably overall, now that their station group is no longer 'locally owned'). That being said, I think, just like in the rest of the markets, the graphics and theme and branding will grow on them, but they'll get a heavy dose of "no" from the viewers first.

...and I'm still holding out hope for a revival of TXCN. They'd be amiss to not invest in that cable channel with 83% coverage in the state.

I guess I will be the unpopular one, but I don't think Texas should be spared from the change just because it's Texas. And I doubt that Gannett sees it that way either. You could come up with an argument with every station or cluster of Gannett stations why they should get to do their own thing, but when it comes down to it....no one is more special than the other.

...and I'm still holding out hope for a revival of TXCN. They'd be amiss to not invest in that cable channel with 83% coverage in the state.

I'm hoping for the revival of Texas Cable News as well, with better news coverage, new anchors, new meteorologists, sports anchors, etc.

Who knows what Gannett is going to do with the Belo and London stations in Texas? Although it is hard for the London stations not to be standardized.

That percentage of Texas viewers served by a Gannett TV station is mind-boggling. 83%. Good Lord.

Who knows what Gannett is going to do with the Belo and London stations in Texas? Although it is hard for the London stations not to be standardized.

That percentage of Texas viewers served by a Gannett TV station is mind-boggling. 83%. Good Lord.

Especially considering that just a year ago, it was 0%.

I guess I will be the unpopular one, but I don't think Texas should be spared from the change just because it's Texas. And I doubt that Gannett sees it that way either. You could come up with an argument with every station or cluster of Gannett stations why they should get to do their own thing, but when it comes down to it....no one is more special than the other.

I agree on the latter. No station is special whatsoever. Gannett is just like CBS which forces branding down the viewers throats. There are different ways to push a mandate. Giving them a few options, like a graphical palette, one this style, another this style, etc. And their mandates as I said earlier were so obviously lame.

Out of the entire Texas markets, I think the most patriotic is Houston, because the big 3 stations have some form of the Lone Star state or red white blue scheme (which also goes along with the American flag.) Will Gannett ruin a station like KHOU of their tradition of showing their love to the Lone Star State? I'm betting they will. If anything it will be watered down to the logo - if that survives the new look.

I agree on the latter. No station is special whatsoever. Gannett is just like CBS which forces branding down the viewers throats. There are different ways to push a mandate. Giving them a few options, like a graphical palette, one this style, another this style, etc. And their mandates as I said earlier were so obviously lame.

Out of the entire Texas markets, I think the most patriotic is Houston, because the big 3 stations have some form of the Lone Star state or red white blue scheme (which also goes along with the American flag.) Will Gannett ruin a station like KHOU of their tradition of showing their love to the Lone Star State? I'm betting they will. If anything it will be watered down to the logo - if that survives the new look.

I definitely agree on both points. There is a good chance they edit that logo down. I'm thinking they might even drop the call letters entirely from the branding, and revert them to just being "11 News" vice "KHOU 11 News".

The rest of the branding, ie "KHOU stands for Houston", is definitely gonna go away in favor of "This is Home."

The rest of the branding, ie "KHOU stands for Houston", is definitely gonna go the way of "This is Home."

The reason why KHOU Stood "for Houston" was they were branded 11 News for 98 to 2011 and KHOU 11 News for 9 years prior. The branding to me was more temporary to reinforce the calls into the news branding again. (noticed how tongue tied all the anchors were for nearly a year after the rebrand.) I like the "Standing for Houston" branding, it worked well with the current Propulsion theme, showing pride of your market. But of course, this entire image will be broken with the new Gannett packaging. It won't work at all with This Is[n't] Home.

There's only one 'JZ.

And WBZ would say the same thing about how "'local' we want our station to be"

Not saying that's wrong, but I do see the corporate's view too. If anything corporate should come up with a mandate and fuse their looks with the station's local branding and imaging, but the locals should never give the 3 fingered salute to corporate.