TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

I suspect the KGW logo change was something that just came about very very recently. The NWCN open which had the new KREM logo had the now old KGW logo.

KHOU's actually looks like a live website, with the most real content as opposed to dummy content. [Never mind. They are testing by posting a lot of old stories. That said, it is fun to see the website update almost every five minutes with a bunch of different "new" stories. Maybe they are trying to move their entire archives to the new site.]

I actually like that feature, if that's the case, especially video. Why make content that took time and money to produce for the web to go to digital heaven suddenly? And what's with the logo? It looks so dark with the new layout? Houston is a market known as their logos in red white and blue, so why are their logo so dull??? I wonder.

(No intention to derail, but with the WFXT trade, I wonder what will happen when Cox gets the station; if all the 8 years of content on the MyFox site will go to digital heaven or not.)

Affiliation changes perhaps? Although I am not sure when the existing affiliations with others expire.

KTXS is an award-winning ABC affiliate.

KTAB is the news leader.

KRBC has been the primary NBC affiliate since the station's inception.

They won't change, at least not in Abilene.

It looks like it might be a big week for the Deathstar. Tenatively, WCNC on Saturday, WVEC on Thursday, and based on this tweet, KGW TOMORROW (all within the last full week of sweeps).

This would leave KREM 2 & KTVB 7 in the NW, and the Lone Star cluster.

All within one week?

Looks like The Mothership is wasting no time finalizing the branding of her babies...

I hope the other stations are doing better with them than KING. It's been a month and they still have major graphics problems. We were watching the news last night, and in a 30 minute newscast there were at least 4 significant errors. Wrong video, wrong title, title bar would disappear, and then there was the "COMING UP" all by itself hovering in the lower screen without the black bars behind it.

It's become so common that at work, we watch and count the problems.

It looks like it might be a big week for the Deathstar. Tenatively, WCNC on Saturday, WVEC on Thursday, and based on this tweet, KGW TOMORROW (all within the last full week of sweeps).

Hopefully it won't take too long for the changes to hit Texas.

Hopefully it won't take too long for the changes to hit Texas.

May be something special is planned for the Texas stations

One would hope. The Spirit of Texas is probably one the well known image tags to EVER exist (never mind how effective it was back in the day.) Replacing that with the midmarket-type This Is [What] Home would just be a tragedy to the legacy of the Belo stations.

One would hope. The Spirit of Texas is probably one the well known image tags to EVER exist (never mind how effective it was back in the day.) Replacing that with the midmarket-type This Is [What] Home would just be a tragedy to the legacy of the Belo stations.

Maybe not on the level of, theoretically, WPVI were to dump MCTYW, but it would be a mistake. Granted, they got rid of the KUSA and KARE packages as well as the Good News package in Maine...they can't possibly be thinking of replacing the Spirit signature completely, can they?

Speaking of well-known signatures, fast forward to 2:53 in the This Is Home package (http://southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,1699)...

Maybe not on the level of, theoretically, WPVI were to dump MCTYW, but it would be a mistake. Granted, they got rid of the KUSA and KARE packages as well as the Good News package in Maine...they can't possibly be thinking of replacing the Spirit signature completely, can they?

Speaking of well-known signatures, fast forward to 2:53 in the This Is Home package (http://southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,1699)...

KING's four-note sig?

Of course, you're assuming that Gannett would axe Propulsion V. 2, I think the latter is inevitable, and while both KHOU/WFAA haven't used "The Spirit" for their on air branding, I bet viewers would have #TBT if they saw TIH launch on a Thursday and people probably go to Twitter and say "Hey, anyone remember 'The Spirit of Texas'?"*

*alright that might never happen, but in a perfect world, would that occur!

I can't comment on the link since I need to reload Chrome at the moment.

Listening to the new This Is Home montage; the second to last cut sounds likes it's incorporating a version of 'The Spirit of Texas' signature, albeit with a new melody. That might be the closest thing WFAA will have left of their classic musical signature.

Listening to the new This Is Home montage; the second to last cut sounds likes it's incorporating a version of 'The Spirit of Texas' signature, albeit with a new melody. That might be the closest thing WFAA will have left of their classic musical signature.

To be quite honest, I think the new theme should be from another composer who did The Spirit, but didn't do TIH obviously. Not saying they should get away from a group's view of standardization, but Gannett's is just poor, I wished I could say it's so damn great.

Gari owns the news music business, and lot of their cuts that people hear are pretty lame. Their music isn't the same when Frank did it himself, they simply have an overrated monopoly.

Alright, so I was watching Channel 5 News and I saw this:

eaa0e0.png

Looks like they are in the early stages of implementing the graphics.

WFAA has started the new map graphics. How gray and really not up-to-par, and gray they are... oh, and did I mention gray? :-p

WFAA has started the new map graphics. How gray and really not up-to-par, and gray they are... oh, and did I mention gray? :-p

They really should use the satellite feature for those maps.

KGW officially made the switch this noon. I'm getting caps from the web stream now.

EDIT: Here are some of the screencaps I got.I missed the intro; hopefully someone captured the stream.

UqWrALm.png

Zj8QgFk.png

sGNy8ZJ.png

9fzyNnz.png

One oddity was the fact that for the Futurecast model, they didn't have the timestamp in the upper right.

ZGBPzSA.png

They also tried to run the "New Look" rundown, but it got tied up somewhere and the Anchor ended up finishing the speech before they got the L3 on the screen to match what he was saying.

Here is the KGW 4:30 Open

5pm Open

Also, WVEC has put a video up on their Facebook page about the change to This is Home on Thursday at noon.

That makes that the fourth promo video they made relating the change -- two on Facebook (one with the noon and one with the 5:00pm anchors), and two on-air versions (one with the noon, and one with the 6pm anchors).

One semi-related note: I wonder if/when they would finally offer up a 4pm newscast, now that Gannett is their owner. They are the last in the market without one or a 10pm newscast although they lack the latter because they're also the only station lacking a market duop.

Why does KGW have to use the crappiest cuts of TiH?

I think that the entire KING cluster will end up using that cut of TiH... KING is already using the same cut for their evening newscasts.