TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Speaking of This Is Home, the entire theme and cuts of This Is Home can now be heard on SoutherMedia NMSA.

http://southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,1699

Not the best editing. Where he got the original source material from, when you begin playing the montage, for a split second you can hear the tailend of whatever preceded the intro cut.

Other than that minor nitpick, sounds great. Definitely enjoy it.

Jesus, it sounds like it's being played in the key of R.

Wow. That's horrible. They have definitely slowed the theme down by about 25%, maybe by half. You can really hear how draggy it sounds just before the "this is home" 3-note signature. Almost like a really old vhs tape that's having tracking issues. Yet the vo sounds fine. If it was an audio or playback problem, within the system, the vo would be distorted too.

Speaking of This Is Home, the entire theme and cuts of This Is Home can now be heard on SoutherMedia NMSA.

http://southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,1699

The only cut l like is near :27, a gentle melody. The final cut that plays breaks so many rules of local news packaging. To me it's in the same class as like a Today Show. Entertainment not hard hitting news.

KHOU will likely debut the new look soon. Last night during a 11News ITeam report on efforts to control the bird population at Bush Intercontinental Airport, they used fullscreen elements from the Gannett package.

Unfortunately I can't post a link to the video from their mobile site.

They've also been using the Gannett package base maps for about the last month or two

I love to see how the Deathstar will kill the ex Belo stations. KHOU is their second flagship station behind WFAA. I actually don't have much faith with them running that group or even the London group. Remember it's all about the USA Today brand, not anything else. These stations will get cut in the next 5 years down to the bone but yet they'll treat KUSA, WXIA, KARE like the teacher's pet (notice how I left WUSA out of the picture since their station is not performing as well as the other stations in the DC mkt.)

Wow. That's horrible. They have definitely slowed the theme down by about 25%, maybe by half. You can really hear how draggy it sounds just before the "this is home" 3-note signature. Almost like a really old vhs tape that's having tracking issues. Yet the vo sounds fine. If it was an audio or playback problem, within the system, the vo would be distorted too.

I think it was mentioned a few weeks back that their web stream is having some weird issues putting out the music. On the direct-to-video clips they have on the website, and on the cable feed, they sound normal.

Not technically in the Louisville market, but I do receive WHAS on cable, no it doesn't sound like that.

Video of the 6pm open last night recorded from cable:

OK, I think they're actually having problems with it. Note the "11@11" sting in the video at 1:12. I went to WHAS11.com and pulled up the video of the news story because I thought it was interesting and wanted to watch it (interesting story BTW and worth the watch).

Anyways, in that video, which looks like it comes directly from the control room since it doesn't have the bug, the music in the "11@11" sting sounds on note and correct.

Watch it here: http://www.whas11.com/video?id=265587821&sec=553357

Strange. Their livestream seems to be the same as what's going out OTA since the bug and end of ABC programming is seen. I wish we had a user from Louisville here to confirm whether or not what is heard above is what's actually going out OTA in Louisville.

I still don't change my opinion about WHAS being stuck in the 80's...

Maybe they're using DSL or dial-up to stream to the web. Either way... I agree that their whole operation looks 1980, but I reckon that is what Kentuckiana likes -- stability. :blink:

The only cut l like is near :27, a gentle melody. The final cut that plays breaks so many rules of local news packaging. To me it's in the same class as like a Today Show. Entertainment not hard hitting news.

I love to see how the Deathstar will kill the ex Belo stations. KHOU is their second flagship station behind WFAA. I actually don't have much faith with them running that group or even the London group. Remember it's all about the USA Today brand, not anything else. These stations will get cut in the next 5 years down to the bone but yet they'll treat KUSA, WXIA, KARE like the teacher's pet (notice how I left WUSA out of the picture since their station is not performing as well as the other stations in the DC mkt.)

I don't think the major markets in Texas (the former Belos) are at much risk of getting cut as much as the London stations do coming in. Gannett will own 40% of the Texas cable market post-London, and they already own Texas Cable Network (which will now get more station coverage with the London additions). One of their main reasons for acquiring the London stations however was because they are in "growing markets" (Gannett's words, not mine), so even then, I don't think we'll see much more than attrition in time.

I don't think the major markets in Texas (the former Belos) are at much risk of getting cut as much as the London stations do coming in. Gannett will own 40% of the Texas cable market post-London, and they already own Texas Cable Network (which will now get more station coverage with the London additions). One of their main reasons for acquiring the London stations however was because they are in "growing markets" (Gannett's words, not mine), so even then, I don't think we'll see much more than attrition in time.

I doubt the future of TXCN, wasn't that network been dead for a number of years only existing rerunning various newscasts throughout the state?

Another thing, I didn't know that WHAS was a Belo station, I knew they owned KING and WCNC. How come they didn't roll out the Hothaus graphics throughout the group a year or so ago like they did to KTVK, KHOU and WFAA (am I missing others?)

Another thing, I didn't know that WHAS was a Belo station, I knew they owned KING and WCNC. How come they didn't roll out the Hothaus graphics throughout the group a year or so ago like they did to KTVK, KHOU and WFAA (am I missing others?)

Belo was mostly organized into two major geographic clusters in the South (WFAA, KHOU, KENS, KVUE and WWL) and Pacific Northwest (KING/KONG, KGW, KTVB, NWCN). These two clusters acted independent from one another, branding-wise. Belo's "outpost" stations--KHNL, KTVK, WHAS and WCNC--were left to do pretty much their own thing. The

only made it outside of that area to KHNL and WHAS, where at the latter station it didn't last very long before they adopted a custom Giant Octopus look. Same story goes for when WCNC briefly took on the
; that stuck around for a couple years before going to the "NewsChannel 36" in-house look and finally the NBC Charlotte brand we're seeing today.

I was slightly surprised that KTVK even took on the Hothaus-designed Belo package, especially since their brand has always been so heavily dependent on a red/yellow color palette. Who knows, Belo might have had plans to finally standardize that look across the entire group before Gannett came knocking.

I was slightly surprised that KTVK even took on the Hothaus-designed Belo package, especially since their brand has always been so heavily dependent on a red/yellow color palette. Who knows, Belo might have had plans to finally standardize that look across the entire group before Gannett came knocking.

Thematically, nothing, not even the music, had a relationship to anything used before in Phoenix. It was the first time the Spirit signature had been used here; the only station to have used Spirit in the whole state was KOLD Tucson in the late 80s*, and of course KSAZ had its Spirit of Arizona phase but that had separate music.

*From TM jingle reel records.

I think it was mentioned a few weeks back that their web stream is having some weird issues putting out the music. On the direct-to-video clips they have on the website, and on the cable feed, they sound normal.

That just doesn't make sense. The playback system (at least in my shop) is all inclusive. Music & vo are embedded in the same computer file (in the FOX automated system it's called a PDR-X file).

If they were having streaming issues the entire playback clip would be distorted, not just a single element (in this case the music bed).

Belo was mostly organized into two major geographic clusters in the South (WFAA, KHOU, KENS, KVUE and WWL) and Pacific Northwest (KING/KONG, KGW, KTVB, NWCN). These two clusters acted independent from one another, branding-wise. Belo's "outpost" stations--KHNL, KTVK, WHAS and WCNC--were left to do pretty much their own thing. The

only made it outside of that area to KHNL and WHAS, where at the latter station it didn't last very long before they adopted a custom Giant Octopus look. Same story goes for when WCNC briefly took on the
; that stuck around for a couple years before going to the "NewsChannel 36" in-house look and finally the NBC Charlotte brand we're seeing today.

This WFAA story from 1997 has a story of The Providence Journal acquisition in the late 90s - the story shows a graphic before and after the merger. youtube.com/watch?v=TBKAMezB75A.

Its easy to forget which station is owned by what without some standardization in today's standards.

However when Belo launched the Hothaus a couple years ago, did they still retain the graphics artists at each station? I do fear that they might get let go after the implementation of the Gannett graphics because everything is done in the cloud w/ the Axis system that might eliminate the need for dedicated artists. Mostly for promos I would say during sweeps period.

to be honest, I wouldn't been surprised if Belo would roll out those graphics to the other stations, just given the need to be more streamlined - but not to the extent of Gannett mind you.

So...I just watch WCNC's 12pm newscast and at the end there's a quick promo that says "Purple is for Lifestyle, the new WCNC.com is coming", which it's means that finally they're going to upgrade to the Gannett look. Not sure about when they're going to debut it though.

the reply was awesome. All he needed to add was #spoileralert!

LOL, that reply was all me. He's the Noon anchor, so he would be the one to debut the graphics. Again, my spidey-senses are strong on this one.

So...I just watch WCNC's 12pm newscast and at the end there's a quick promo that says "Purple is for Lifestyle, the new WCNC.com is coming", which it's means that finally they're going to upgrade to the Gannett look. Not sure about when they're going to debut it though.

I'm thinking that they'll push through next Wednesday, and wouldn't be surprised if they graphic switched next Wednesday as well.

I'm thinking that they'll push through next Wednesday, and wouldn't be surprised if they graphic switched next Wednesday as well.

Is there any evidence that WCNC would be switching graphics and site that quickly?

Is there any evidence that WCNC would be switching graphics and site that quickly?

They were originally scheduled to debut the graphics on Wednesday, from the chatter in here, which makes me think it's more likely than not.

They were originally scheduled to debut the graphics on Wednesday, from the chatter in here, which makes me think it's more likely than not.

why on a Wednesday? The native Gannett stations didn't do that (correct me if I am wrong.) Even though the graphics have been used for over a year, its considerably "brand spanking new" "never been used before" for the now ex-Belo stations. They should be launched on the Sunday evening or midday on a Monday like how the others did a year ago (if I am not mistaken?)

why on a Wednesday? The native Gannett stations didn't do that (correct me if I am wrong.) Even though the graphics have been used for over a year, its considerably "brand spanking new" "never been used before" for the now ex-Belo stations. They should be launched on the Sunday evening or midday on a Monday like how the others did a year ago (if I am not mistaken?)

So far this year, they've launched their graphics on Wednesday's midday newscasts. The KING stations launched on June 18, WWL launched June 25, and WHAS on July 2. That was the last station to launch the graphics, as they haven't done any since the July 4th holiday.

The website roll-out seems to be going slower, however, with the big gap between KVUE's launch way back on May 28th and then KTVB just this past Wednesday.

Maybe Gannett has a thing for Wednesdays?

Not all the stations implemented the graphics on a Wednesday.

By checking the original Gannett graphics launch thread,

• KSDK, WKYC, WXIA, WZZM, WGRZ launched on a Tuesday.
  • WTSP, WBIR, WLTX*, WMAZ & WCSH/WLBZ launched the new graphics on Wedneday.
  • WFMY*, KUSA, WUSA, KPNX*, KTHV, WTLV/WJXX launched on a Thursday.
  • Only KARE 11 implemented the graphics on a Friday.

I had to do some rechecking, noting the asterisk (*).

And although not all the them, but a good chunk of these stations debut during their midday broadcast. And as you see none of the stations debut the graphics on a Monday, or the weekend.

But as you see this time, they've been pretty consistent with a Wednesday midday launch. I'm wouldn't be too shocked if they continue the roll-out after sweeps, which that would end one week from Wednesday (30th).

Station Date Day

WFMY 12-13-12 Thu

WTSP 12-19-12 Wed

WBIR 1-9-13 Wed

KUSA 1-10-13 Thu

KSDK 1-15-13 Tue

WUSA 1-17-13 Thu

KPNX 1-17-13 Thu

WKYC 1-22-13 Tue

KARE 1-25-13 Fri

WXIA 1-29-13 Tue

WLTX 2-20-13 Wed

KTHV 2-28-13 Thu

WZZM 3-5-13 Tue

WMAZ 3-6-13 Wed

WTLV 3-21-13 Thu

WJXX 3-21-13 Thu

WGRZ 3-26-13 Tue

WCSH 4-17-13 Wed

WLBZ 4-17-13 Wed

KING 6-18-14 Wed

WWL 6-25-14 Wed

WHAS 7-2-14 Wed

KGW 7-22-14 Tue

WVEC 7-24-14 Thu

WCNC 7-31-14 Thu

KVUE 8-14-14 Thu

KENS 8-14-14 Thu

WFAA 8-27-14 Wed

KTVB 9-28-14 Sun

KHOU 10-15-14 Wed

KREM 10-25-14 Sat

KYTX 3-16-15 Mon

... or that you kinda don't want the viewers to get thrown off that the following day the station's look was drastically changed overnight.

I did like how CBS tied the new look last year on the 11:00 Sunday news right after the Emmys. The start of a new week, and gave wiggle room in case any glitches happened so by Wednesday the look would become flawless.

I strongly think WVEC will be switching to This is Home next week. My speculatron is high on this one, based on this tweet:

https://twitter.com/13LaSalleBlanks/status/490078655507214336

They have no other major changes that I could forsee other than this. Again, pure speculation,

Next Thursday... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152570923308630