TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

It's too early to tell on the Texas stations (WFAA, KHOU, KENS, and KVUE).

I would've thought that WFAA would be the first of the bunch to get it but then again, KVUE already has the Gannett website layout.

Could be anyone's guess.

I thought KVUE was using the look in promos.

Texas would be interesting because that's a longtime signature theme... and Gannett has used Propulsion in the past.

Looks like KVUE is starting to use the same mapping software that the Gannett package uses. I think it's only a matter of time now.

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2014/07/07/police-are-investigating-a-report-of-an-attempted-child-abduction-monday/12320865/

WFAA is too:

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/football/cowboys/Construction-starts-on-new-Cowboys-HQ-in-Frisco-266147441.html

KHOU too (you have to catch it at the first split second):

http://www.khou.com/video?id=266031941&sec=548217

Looks like KVUE is starting to use the same mapping software that the Gannett package uses. I think it's only a matter of time now.

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2014/07/07/police-are-investigating-a-report-of-an-attempted-child-abduction-monday/12320865/

WFAA is too:

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/football/cowboys/Construction-starts-on-new-Cowboys-HQ-in-Frisco-266147441.html

KHOU too (you have to catch it at the first split second):

http://www.khou.com/video?id=266031941&sec=548217

WVEC has been using those maps now for about three or four weeks, ever since the KING launch. What's weird is they are alternating between both the old style maps, and the new ones.

In all honesty, I'm waiting more for the website refreshes from the platform all these ex-Belo stations are currently using, sans KVUE since they are already using Presto. The current websites are too cluttered with....everything. Guess we'll wait with baited breath on who'll debut graphics by waiting for the promo either tomorrow, or who'll show up noon on Wednesday.

WVEC has been using those maps now for about three or four weeks, ever since the KING launch. What's weird is they are alternating between both the old style maps, and the new ones.

In all honesty, I'm waiting more for the website refreshes from the platform all these ex-Belo stations are currently using, sans KVUE since they are already using Presto. The current websites are too cluttered with....everything. Guess we'll wait with baited breath on who'll debut graphics by waiting for the promo either tomorrow, or who'll show up noon on Wednesday.

I've tried to load KHOU.com and it took like nearly 2 minutes to complete The code seems to be cluttered or one too many scripts running.

I thought KVUE was using the look in promos.

Texas would be interesting because that's a longtime signature theme... and Gannett has used Propulsion in the past.

If they have to get the graphics, I would hope they'd keep Propulsion. Especially when its grandfathered like WKYC in this instance, they used it a couple years ago, even before a peep about a Belo acquisition. And they used V2! If they used it then, than I'd say let the Texas stations keep it! I can't remember when the two last used "The Spirit of Texas" branding on air, has been since the late 90s? That be awesome if they brought it back at least for a secondary branding.

Gannett was big on getting everyone aligned onto the "same" package last year. I doubt anyone will be keeping any other package....

Well I guess good themes have short shelf span and replaced by cruddier ones. That was one of my favorite themes from 615 Music, one of their best in years. Just like how the superior 360/NBC O&O package got thrown into the dumpster at WCAU this past winter replaced by you know what. At least for Houston, V2 will almost lasted 3 years, a few months longer than WCAU had the NBC O&O pkg.

So, no news on who's next for graphic launch tomorrow?

Also, how long before you think they roll these out to London stations?

I wouldn't be surprised if there's no launch tomorrow. After all, most folks came from the long holiday weekend.

As for the London properties, they'll probably take a longer time for them. Don't they have to buy the equipment first for the London properties to use the new graphics? That's why I think the Texas cluster, including the four Belos, should be the last to get the new graphics (And if the Deathstar have some sort of heart, they would provide the cluster the customized "Spirit of Texas" logo to its This Is Home package).

I wouldn't be surprised if there's no launch tomorrow. After all, most folks came from the long holiday weekend.

Duly noted. Somehow, since I don't get holidays off, I forget they even exist. -shrugs-

As for the London properties, they'll probably take a longer time for them. Don't they have to buy the equipment first for the London properties to use the new graphics? That's why I think the Texas cluster, including the four Belos, should be the last to get the new graphics (And if the Deathstar have some sort of heart, they would provide the cluster the customized "Spirit of Texas" logo to its This Is Home package).

I don't think they'll keep their "Spirit of" themes in any part. While it would make sense for them to keep it (with the ex-London stations, they now cover 83% of the Texas market), I feel like they will push "This is Home" more to consolidate the brand. Here's my weird take on it: Soon, you'll be able to go anywhere in Texas and immediately feel like you're at home, because Station A's graphics (and soon, their website) will probably look like one of your home stations.

Thus... This Is Home.

-insert Gannett ID here-

The only reason an integration didn't happen this week was because of the holiday weekend. Someone's launching these graphics next week, and I think it's WCNC IIRC.

It is WCNC according to CLTNewsWatch:

I'm hearing that WCNC will debut the new website within the next two weeks. Gannett graphics will debut July 16th.

I'm betting if anything, KENS will be among the last to switch and the website will switch before the graphics. A tease for the newscast and the newest promos coming out of KENS still use the 2012 Belo look.

KENS5.com has made the change to the Gannett style website this morning.

You heard it here first. :p

In all seriousness though, this website looks so much better than what they had. Easier to navigate and will probably become the site I go to for news.

But I hate they now use their acutal logo instead of this in the header:

kens5com-logo-310.jpg

That logo actually was an improvement over their main logo.

Random Thought: I wonder how WVEC will do their "Storm Mode" coverage on the website when they switch over to Presto.

If you go to the site today, you'll see how they currently do it.