TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

They didn't, they've had this set since 2012. If you were watching the 11pm newscast, it could look different. They changed the format so they just stand in front of the TV screen, rather than sit at the desk. But still the same set.

It looks like they are not using the LEDs on the plexiglass walls. I don't know if I like this. If that's the case, I would at least change them to a different color, if they are capable of doing that.

Most LED's can change to pretty much anything, including white light.

So I take it that KTVB is not known for subtlety.

It's almost as if they saved some of the background images from Gannett Presto, and uploaded them onto the Broadcast Interactive CMS.

Personally, I'm reminded of how WJRT managed to backport the old ABC O&O design into WorldNow after they got sold to SJL (they now, unfortunately, use the stock layout. Boring)

but yeah, the stripes on the sections are a little mis-aligned.

Anybody else notice the WHAS's live web stream sounds like a record player that is running just a tad slow. Music sounds weird.

Edit: Emailed them and got this, in case anyone was wondering:

We are aware of the issue and are working to fix the issue.

Thanks for letting us know.

-Amy

Amy Stallings

Digital producer

whas11.com

502-582-7238

Anybody else notice the WHAS's live web stream sounds like a record player that is running just a tad slow. Music sounds weird.

I've complained some months back that KMOV's sound recorder sounds like a record player when they play that music. And when I saw WHAS stream a few months back, it appears they have that same problem. The music plays, then it slows down and then it speeds up to the regular tempo.

Why don't they buy new equipment so they can fix that audio problem, WHAS & KMOV? Because that shit is irritating.

Nevertheless, at least they are playing some cues from "This Is Home" I didn't hear before on the bumpers.

How come it seems like WHAS is playing their old "Newschannel" cuts for their bumpers?

Because Newschannel is a classic. But I bet that won't last long with bumper cuts. or maybe because its a Gari theme. who knows.

Because Newschannel is a classic. But I bet that won't last long with bumper cuts. or maybe because its a Gari theme. who knows.

The bumper cues they played wasn't from Newschannel. Before they implemented the new Gannett graphics, they were playing that one bumper cue of Newschannel NG for everything. During their 12pm newscast, I counted four different bumper themes. Here's the audio caption of those bumpers. As you can clearly hear that audio problem.

Some of you might recognized that first bumper, it was that same theme that was also recycled by KOSA to add that Advantage logo in there. What I think they've done was they probably found some older production themes and customize it to smack-dab the 3-note "This Is Home" logo on them. That's almost like a Gari ritual. But nevertheless, I do applaud WHAS for using something completely different from the other stations that is using the theme song.

EDIT: I stated it was three bumpers, but later there was a fourth bumper that was used during the 12:30pm half hour.

The bumper cues they played wasn't from Newschannel. Before they implemented the new Gannett graphics, they were playing that one bumper cue of Newschannel NG for everything. During their 12pm newscast, I counted four different bumper themes. Here's the audio caption of those bumpers. As you can clearly hear that audio problem.

Some of you might recognized that first bumper, it was that same theme that was also recycled by KOSA to add that Advantage logo in there. What I think they've done was they probably found some older production themes and customize it to smack-dab the 3-note "This Is Home" logo on them. That's almost like a Gari ritual. But nevertheless, I do applaud WHAS for using something completely different from the other stations that is using the theme song.

EDIT: I stated it was three bumpers, but later there was a fourth bumper that was used during the 12:30pm half hour.

Kudos to WHAS as well for using something different from the rest of the Gannett stations. It reminds of what WCCO does the CBS Enforcer cuts and opens. Step away from the total standard group look and sound....WCCO 2013 with New CBS O&O graphics

Wow on WHAS audio.. They closed out the 530 news to the 6pm news with tease. They are having some audio problems, they used "This is Home" cut with tease and went to open but without Voiceover. I captured the audio of it...

Watching WHAS seems so depressing, that all of their owners over the years really don't care about this station. Listening to their version of "This is Home" it sounds like a worn out record. The set looks like it has to be at least 20 years old. The lighting in that studio is awful. It seems dark in there and the anchors look like ghosts. I don't care if it was "refreshed" it still looks old. They still have a really ancient logo from the 1970's on the outside of their building. The current logo dates from the 1980's and it's showing it's age. I don't care if you gloss it or replace the circle with a box or add the current ABC logo it still looks old and worn. They've had the same VO for like 30 years. There's a reason I prefer all the other stations even WDRB. WHAS I think has rated 4th place at one point and it shows. They seem to be content with having a outdated feeling to them.

I hate to say it but I don't think they have audio issues (since the anchors sound fine). I highly think it's intentional. They want the music to sound direct out of the 80's. Way to take a semi-decent news theme and make it sound like crap.

Just look at this open they played at 11:

I don't expect much from Gannett honestly but they really need to address WHAS but I guess not.

OK, I think they're actually having problems with it. Note the "11@11" sting in the video at 1:12. I went to WHAS11.com and pulled up the video of the news story because I thought it was interesting and wanted to watch it (interesting story BTW and worth the watch).

Anyways, in that video, which looks like it comes directly from the control room since it doesn't have the bug, the music in the "11@11" sting sounds on note and correct.

Watch it here: http://www.whas11.com/video?id=265587821&sec=553357

Strange. Their livestream seems to be the same as what's going out OTA since the bug and end of ABC programming is seen. I wish we had a user from Louisville here to confirm whether or not what is heard above is what's actually going out OTA in Louisville.

I still don't change my opinion about WHAS being stuck in the 80's...