TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Watched it in the market on Charter in HD. IMO graphics looked much better than I expected on WWL.

Technically only a few small gaffes. The color coded background of the first story I believe switched from News-Blue to Breaking-Red. Musically, I assumed they would use what I'd term the "heroic / triumphant" cut for the opening. Levels seemed to be low and they rushed too quickly into the breaking news stinger. I'm sure they will smooth out wrinkles like that. I I hope they will work on the music levels. All of it seemed too low on the launch newscast. The weather intro music is almost non-existent, which is in quite a contrast to the Belo/615 AWYT music. There wasn't much of a pronounced logo that I could hear going into weather. Stock market return bump was 10 to 15 seconds, don't recall hearing much of any logo, if any on that. They did use the glitchy-sounding techno cut going into the first break which I thought was surprising.

To me, the set now seems too busy with such minimal graphics.

There were no 'This is Home' promos during the noon cast. I look forward, as clcLA8383 mentioned, to seeing how smoothly the shows go tonight.

Technically only a few small gaffes. The color coded background of the first story I believe switched from News-Blue to Breaking-Red. Musically, I assumed they would use what I'd term the "heroic / triumphant" cut for the opening. Levels seemed to be low and they rushed too quickly into the breaking news stinger.

This is the same cut KPNX uses for its noon news. They use a different cut for their evening newscasts that's a little more authoritative.

This is the same cut KPNX uses for its noon news. They use a different cut for their evening newscasts that's a little more authoritative.

Right right. If I'm thinking of the same 'more authoritative' cuts that you are, would that be the variation similar to what KUSA uses as their 10PM pre-tease & open or it is similiar to what Gari uses as the KUSA UP NEXT at 6 promo on his website demo?

Right right. If I'm thinking of the same 'more authoritative' cuts that you are, would that be the variation similiar to what KUSA uses as their 10PM pre-tease & open or it is similiar to what Gari uses as the KUSA UP NEXT at 6 promo on his website demo?

It's in the NMSA, actually.

Here's the vid with Mike Hoss explaining about the new Gannett graphics. Of course we've heard that same line over and over again. And we'll be hearing it as the rollout to the Belo stations continues.

I know I stated that the graphics (including the WWL logo with the CBS Eye) are sleek, looking at the logo on the three screens, near their secondary news desk, it really pops out way better than the ones that said "EYEWITNESS NEWS" in a blue blackground on the screens.

I do agree with promoguy98 that the set does look too busy. I said this earlier on, the WWL signs in front of both desk, those looks similar to the older graphics. I'm not too sure if those signs could be changed, because it doesn't too much look right with the station's new graphics.

One thing that I somewhat dislike is that they uses a narrow font for the time & temp, while most of the others are using a bolder font. Some folks who might be several feet away or some folks who might have visual problems, might have difficulty seeing the time & temp bug, because the font is so skinny.

As for the music cues heard on the noon (as it is the station's very first Gari theme), its somewhat okay. I was happy that they used the WUSA music for the open & close (although I wished they played it up to the end of the cue and not the start/in the middle, but I know it was their first day, they'll have alot of time to do some tweaking). It seems that they're trying to do the same thing to use various cues for the bumpers, like they did with AWYT. I know its been one newscasts, but I'm hoping there will be more consistency with the cues.

It would be interesting to see what they will use for the evening and tomorrow morning's shows.

They're having some growing pains, which is expected. The Gannett stations had rundowns and semi-permanent lower thirds when they switched. The Belo stations didn't.

I half wonder if the dislike towards this look is just because of standardization. I really think this ad sums up how most of us feel when something gets changed. And why we should not feel that way.

[yt]tetOSMilRKg[/yt]

The music doesn't sound right with Bill Ratner's voice. He is not a very authoritative voiceover like the music evokes and they should've switched to someone else or not used a VO at all.

The logo looks odd with the CBS eye next to it. There was nothing wrong with it before.

Why does the graphic say "Breaking" not "Breaking News"? Just something I'm nitpicky about...

You already know I hate the Gannett graphics with a passion so I don't need to repeat that.

I hope KENS tries to resist getting this for as long as possible. I admittedly haven't watched a newscast on that station in over seven years because the product they put out is horrendously bad. But I will start watching them regularly JUST to see if they're running promos for the new Gannett graphics since no other person in this market will likely post anything about it.

No I was talking about what Raymie described of Jean sweeping the old graphics in to the newer graphics.

I wasn't talking about that vid. I've seen previous vids at which they'd use the new Gannett design for promos. But thanks for showing me that vid. I wonder if NWCN would also get the graphics as well.

They're having some growing pains, which is expected. The Gannett stations had rundowns and semi-permanent lower thirds when they switched. The Belo stations didn't.

I half wonder if the dislike towards this look is just because of standardization. I really think this ad sums up how most of us feel when something gets changed. And why we should not feel that way.

[yt]tetOSMilRKg[/yt]

I've seen people here say that their disdain for this look was because it was too simple (what they meant was: not Hothaus/GO-like enough - not shiny enough, not conventional enough for them).

Nah, I'd prefer something similar to, say,

or even
. Not too simple, but not remotely flashy either. I actually dislike quite a few GO and Hothaus packages (especially Hothaus ones) for being way too flashy and "shiny".

After a few days with the Gannett graphics, I still like them (and WWL's getting a little more comfortable with them) but I do have some nitpicking.

- The L3 for the teases and going to break needs a longer background. That white DIN text gets lost pretty easily once it gets past that point, especially when it's a sports tease that has video with a score bar at the bottom.

- The monitors across the set need something else besides the new Eyewitness News logo. It's just plopped on a plain background and it looks lonely. Put some o'dem flying blocks behind it, or find another generic graphic so it's not the same thing on every monitor.

- "This Is Home" remains pretty weak, or WWL's choosing the weakest cuts. Doesn't have any punch.

I've seen people here say that their disdain for this look was because it was too simple (what they meant was: not Hothaus/GO-like enough - not shiny enough, not conventional enough for them).

It doesn't have to be 'conventional', but it doesn't have to leave me yawning. I rather read a newspaper than look at those graphics.