TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

I caught that too. And they still will be called "Eyewitness News" (yes!). But we can kiss Always Worth Your Time goodbye.

I don't have a problem with AWYT going bye-bye. Never really warmed up to it as a quick replacement for the Stephen Arnold cuts.

I actually liked Battery V.4, since the station used a good amount of cues. But with that said of course, this doesn't have the superiority as any of the Arnold themes that came before the 2006 SESAC episode.

I want to also note that this will be the first time in 16 years since a Gari theme is used in NOLA (since WVUE dropped Advantage in '98). 615 was also absent in this market before WWL acquired AWYT, and it will be absent again, once the Gari theme comes about.

I strongly wish that Gari start producing newer themes for stations that probably don't want to use those kinds of cues most stations are using. Similar to the cues used on its flagship WUSA 9.

Should we see it on WFAA, I strongly wish that they would incorporate a version with "Spirit of Texas logo", preserved for WFAA & KHOU, although I have a feeling that Gari would probably desecrate the theme, just as similar as 615 did when the first installment of Propulsion. I'm a die-hard traditionalist when it comes to the music and the certain muslcal logos that have very close ties with the station's traditions and histories. It would hurt me deeply if Channel 8 have to alter its 30 year familiar Spirit of Texas logo.

I still wonder if WHAS-11 will get the "Gannett" look even though they are owned by Gannett/Sander Holdings Company. Same look, same set, same music since 06 and still not in HD.

If WHAS gets the Gannett looks means end of Gari's "Newschannel" going strong since 1991. If that happens "Newschannel" will only has 2 stations still using it both being owned by Raycom. WAFB in Baton Rouge has used "Newschannel" since 1990 but added new generation cuts in Mid 2000's. The other one being WTOC Savannah. Has been using the same cuts since 1987. I say rock on WTOC a WAFB and maybe WHAS. I always say if ain't broke don't fix it. Look at WPVI, and WJZ. Alright I'm off my soapbox.

It would also hurt me if WHAS forgo its 23 year Newschannel package. But I wouldn't feel the same way as the WFAA (since many composers have composed the Spirit logo within that 3-decade span, while WHAS have been with just one). And I tell you why. Since WHAS have been using the Newschannel NG (now its been recycled as one of the themes of The Edge), the station have been using just that one theme for everything. You don't really hear too much variety in the cues. Hell, they don't even use themes from the pre-NG package anymore.

That and the graphics (which they've also been using since 2006), I wouldn't be as mad if they acquire the new graphics. It would hurt me to see Newschannel go away in the Kentuckiana region, but not too much.

But the other two stations that used that theme, WAFB & WTOC, and they never used the WHAS theme, yet WAFB have used also of newly-composed themes from the package. But WTOC on the other hand...... It uses series 3 for the opens and the series 2 "Champion" theme for the closes, But the bumpers, let's just say they play the plethora of themes, including the

. Out of the three that use it, only one have that power to use it thoroughly with pride, and that's WTOC.

Yeah, I'm strongly to hope for the best, but I have to also expect the worst. Whether we like the new graphics or not, it looks like the Deathstar is wasting no time implementing the new digs on the Belo stations. And I doubt all the stations will get it prior to the July 3rd start of the July books.

I actually liked Battery V.4, since the station used a good amount of cues. But with that said of course, this doesn't have the superiority as any of the Arnold themes that came before the 2006 SESAC episode.

Should we see it on WFAA, I strongly wish that they would incorporate a version with "Spirit of Texas logo", preserved for WFAA & KHOU, although I have a feeling that Gari would probably desecrate the theme, just as similar as 615 did when the first installment of Propulsion. I'm a die-hard traditionalist when it comes to the music and the certain muslcal logos that have very close ties with the station's traditions and histories. It would hurt me deeply if Channel 8 have to alter its 30 year familiar Spirit of Texas logo.

It would also hurt me if WHAS forgo its 23 year Newschannel package. But I wouldn't feel the same way as the WFAA (since many composers have composed the Spirit logo within that 3-decade span, while WHAS have been with just one). And I tell you why. Since WHAS have been using the Newschannel NG (now its been recycled as one of the themes of The Edge), the station have been using just that one theme for everything. You don't really hear too much variety in the cues. Hell, they don't even use themes from the pre-NG package anymore.

Yeah, I'm strongly to hope for the best, but I have to also expect the worst. Whether we like the new graphics or not, it looks like the Deathstar is wasting no time implementing the new digs on the Belo stations. And I doubt all the stations will get it prior to the July 3rd start of the July books.

The Spirit of Texas is like a trademark, when I think of that tag, I think of WFAA (and KHOU to be fair, but I've associated with 8 the longest in my memory.) With the Deathstar buying out what was 6 TX stations, they can actually expand on it and not just the two established ex-Belo stations. Gannett needs to execute the branding very carefully, 2013 was probably the first time where major groups bought or merged with other major groups in ages. I am in no defense that "each station is different and we should treat them special" kinda BS, however I wished the packaging would fuse.

And Gari music isn't been the same to some from the mid 90s and to some from the late 80s, and yes I could be a fanboy of Propulsion V2, but I'd love maybe a new 615 package if they so choose. Gari is more of a brand name to some CSD lemmings, and not understand there is more to news music than Gari. (Personally, for years I never "got" Stephen Arnold - thought he was just another "heartland" composer and wether it's taste or I am just getting older, I am actually a fan of his music and his 360 unit.)

On the graphics, I am at a lost why the Miranda system can't do a "Chyron/Deko export." I thought they used Viz (must be judgmental) and maybe that was way they couldn't. I said before, I don't like how graphics are made by twentysomethings that are very PC (the computer) when designing graphics and never design it with the mind of a viewer watching it on a 22" screen or a 9" incher, etc. TV is still the first product to deliver information, and the web comes in second, so thats how the graphics should be done.

I wish them luck. And hope the viewers don't take the change the wrong way.

Outside of the news, it would be stupid to have that slogan go away completely.

I think he's worried about the overuse of the "This Is Home" stuff that's about to take place. It would not look good at all on WWL if they use it.

Any videos of those promos of the new graphics?

I think he's worried about the overuse of the "This Is Home" stuff that's about to take place. It would not look good at all on WWL if they use it.

Any videos of those promos of the new graphics?

Only promo they've been running is the color codes and the sections they represent...and how it's supposed to make things easier. 15-20 seconds tops.

Damn that means no more "Spirit of Louisiana" either...dammit.

Honestly, when was the last time you heard that phrase uttered on channel 4? I haven't seen one promo with it in I don't know how long, it's not featured in the news open anymore....the only thing that uses anything "Spirit" are the "Spirit of Community" PSAs.

If anything, they might keep "Louisiana's News Leader" around.

Here's said promo real quick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLh_wAji_e0

I wished they could go back having the reporters end their reports with "Channel 4 Eyewitness News" instead of just "Eyewitness News".

Other than that, (including incorporating the CBS Logo next to the WWL logo again (and btw the "4" looks a bit bolder)) it really do look sleek on them.

I wished they could go back having the reporters end their reports with "Channel 4 Eyewitness News" instead of just "Eyewitness News".

Other than that, (including incorporating the CBS Logo next to the WWL logo again (and btw the "4" looks a bit bolder)) it really do look sleek on them.

Oh gawd, that's just annoying like WCSH's signoff "NewsCenter" - what channel is "NewsCenter"?

I want to also note that this will be the first time in 16 years since a Gari theme is used in NOLA (since WVUE dropped Advantage in '98). 615 was also absent in this market before WWL acquired AWYT, and it will be absent again, once the Gari theme comes about.

Not quite.....WDSU had B Package going from 2000 until 2004 when Hearst's package came around.

Not quite.....WDSU had B Package going from 2000 until 2004 when Hearst's package came around.

I wasn't aware of that. My error. Okay it's been 10 years.

I see that WWL now has the CBS eye. I am wondering if KENS will incorporate the CBS eye logo into their graphics, when they change soon.

Here's the last time I've seen WWL use the CBS logo next to their logo.

wwl-tv-new-orleans.jpg

"NewsCenter" is WCSH, Portland WLBZ In Bangor and also WGCI-LD

It was a rhetorical question. However do both stations still have separate newsrooms/studios/whatever? I feel its dumb branding for the Maine audience that needs things simplified branding without the complexity of virtual VHF channel numbers. They did call themselves NewsCenter 6 years and years ago. Anyways jts wacky marketing for a Gannett station.

It was a rhetorical question. However do both stations still have separate newsrooms/studios/whatever? I feel its dumb branding for the Maine audience that needs things simplified branding without the complexity of virtual VHF channel numbers. They did call themselves NewsCenter 6 years and years ago. Anyways jts wacky marketing for a Gannett station.

Yes. WCSH (Portland; NewsCenter 6) is the main station and airs their own news along with WLBZ (Bangor; NewsCenter 2) at weeknights at 5 and 6. WCSH produces the state newscast (NewsCenter) at mornings, at noon, 5:30, 11:00, and weekends. WLBZ airs their own weather forecast between 5-11 pm weeknights.

Even when WWL's added the Eye, it wasn't used too much on air. Some examples can be found here: http://youtu.be/G69Z1aV6gqo?t=7m15s

It usually would show up in print most, and maybe once during the news open when "The Spirit of Louisiana" was shown.

If you squint at this promo from the late '90s, you can just make out the Eye on the sports guy's shirt:

It's also popped up as an accent on their new set, including some unusual (at least in my opinion) CBS News endcaps on their main news desk.

I see that WWL now has the CBS eye. I am wondering if KENS will incorporate the CBS eye logo into their graphics, when they change soon.

I quite honestly hope they just get a new logo instead. I've never warmed up to the current logo. Looks like it took 30 minutes to make max. The two logos before it were better, especially the thin curved 5 they used from the 70's to 1994 and is still etched in on a wall in their lobby.