TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Can't wait until this hits WWL. The KHOU package never looked good, except for what WWL used for Fourth Down on Four.

The Belo graphics didn't looked good on them, than that last gfx package they had. You saw they had to freeze that bug after implementation of those graphics. But those new Gannett graphics on them is going to look really weird on them.

I still wonder if WHAS-11 will get the "Gannett" look even though they are owned by Gannett/Sander Holdings Company. Same look, same set, same music since 06 and still not in HD.

If WHAS gets the Gannett looks means end of Gari's "Newschannel" going strong since 1991. If that happens "Newschannel" will only has 2 stations still using it both being owned by Raycom. WAFB in Baton Rouge has used "Newschannel" since 1990 but added new generation cuts in Mid 2000's. The other one being WTOC Savannah. Has been using the same cuts since 1987. I say rock on WTOC a WAFB and maybe WHAS. I always say if ain't broke don't fix it. Look at WPVI, and WJZ. Alright I'm off my soapbox.

Yes. The Belo stations were unifying on the Vertigo platform. My guess is Gannett decided to stay with the platorm but instead of rolling out the Belo/Hothaus GFX, went with their own stuff. Since their legacy stations are still on Dekos as far as I know, my guess is those stations will get Miranda equipment as well.

G3 was always G3. The Mill was the design agency brought in to consult on this look.

My positive attitude about this look has not and will not change. It's refreshing, striking, and perhaps since they're on a modern platform, possibly capable of more eyecandy as well. It enhances the editorial content substantially, and it looks pretty damn good to me as a web designer.

I disagree with the G3 look. I don't like modern and fresh looks. If I want modern and fresh looks (with leftist biased reporting) I can tune to a European news network. I am a traditionalist, graphics I can read and not be forced into a 16:9 format when (believe it or not ) many still have SDI or a non HD set. And for the love of God who ever came up with the 9 colors for their graphics package should be fired and banned from the TV industry.

The G3 package has no character limits, no drop shadowing, just flat and simple (read stupid) graphics only a 25 year old that doesn't wear glasses can read.

Where's the color on the graphics (insert "Where's the Beef" tone?) The tiny thin lines is hard to see. And USA Today? How many fleeping times do I have to be reminded that any Gannett station is sisters with a paper I haven't read from front to back since 2001!? I'd take the deathstar ID over being forced down my throat in the lower third package anyday!

I loved the Belo package, its style aligned with the substance, like lower thirds that are meant to be read 10' away (not 1" to ruin ones eyes!) And if they dump Propulsion V 2 (yes V1 sucked like heck, but V2 is classic 615 Music) with the lame This is Home, that would be really disappointing. I don't get that campaign, whats "home"? No one lives in their hometown like a generation ago. Its not relevant to the modern generation to be quite honest.

I have to say HulkieD, there is a difference between a web designer and a CG/graphics operator. You can't put the two skills together. No wonder why people can't see L3s like they used to. IT/computer types ruined it for all. I'll defend the old Chyron way of graphics design any day, if you take visual content seriously.

Looks like WWL is flipping next Wednesday, caught the tail end of a promo.

Damn, the Deathstar is not wasting time implementing it on their Belo stations.

I wonder if they would implement it on their morning program (since it is their big program of the day) or on their news at noon (which that would likely be their launch period since nearly all the launches have started at that hour).

I caught that too. And they still will be called "Eyewitness News" (yes!). But we can kiss Always Worth Your Time goodbye.

I don't have a problem with AWYT going bye-bye. Never really warmed up to it as a quick replacement for the Stephen Arnold cuts.

I disagree with the G3 look. I don't like modern and fresh looks. If I want modern and fresh looks (with leftist biased reporting) I can tune to a European news network. I am a traditionalist, graphics I can read and not be forced into a 16:9 format when (believe it or not ) many still have SDI or a non HD set. And for the love of God who ever came up with the 9 colors for their graphics package should be fired and banned from the TV industry.

The G3 package has no character limits, no drop shadowing, just flat and simple (read stupid) graphics only a 25 year old that doesn't wear glasses can read.

Where's the color on the graphics (insert "Where's the Beef" tone?) The tiny thin lines is hard to see. And USA Today? How many fleeping times do I have to be reminded that any Gannett station is sisters with a paper I haven't read from front to back since 2001!? I'd take the deathstar ID over being forced down my throat in the lower third package anyday!

I loved the Belo package, its style aligned with the substance, like lower thirds that are meant to be read 10' away (not 1" to ruin ones eyes!) And if they dump Propulsion V 2 (yes V1 sucked like heck, but V2 is classic 615 Music) with the lame This is Home, that would be really disappointing. I don't get that campaign, whats "home"? No one lives in their hometown like a generation ago. Its not relevant to the modern generation to be quite honest.

Amen. Best thing I've read about these graphics so far. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

And yes I have an HD set but prefer to watch the standard def feed actually. Force of habit mainly, but the HD quality is so bright it literally blinds me...

Reminds me of one of the older WCBS logos from the 80s/90s for some reason (the 2 logo that is).

LOL I saw that too, and forgot to mention that. And they had that logo for nearly 25 years (1970s to 1997) before they went radical to the current CBS2 logo. WCBS' was the best Channel 2 logo out of the group at that time, classy and all. I'd love to see it return though.