TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

I miss the old vertical rundown on the left side of the screen.

I was the opposite. I couldn't stand the "vertical rundown" on the left side of the screen. It made the screen looked all cluttered and junky. I like having it on the bottom of the screen now instead.

No I was talking about what Raymie described of Jean sweeping the old graphics in to the newer graphics.

I wasn't talking about that vid. I've seen previous vids at which they'd use the new Gannett design for promos. But thanks for showing me that vid. I wonder if NWCN would also get the graphics as well.

That would be this video, then.

It's official now: KING's got the Gannett graphics now.

Good time for a change: the old Belo look wasn't aging very good (it looked about 2006-quality). It's different, to say the least. Its fitting that it has that Windows 8 vibe to it, given it's Seattle.

Also of note, from that video, if you look closely at the program running, it says "G3 Vertigo Test". First off, I thought that they had renamed G3 to The Mill; second, unless Vertigo is the name of the program they were using or the control room software they use, this means that Gannett's internal codename of this package is Vertigo.

Also of note, from that video, if you look closely at the program running, it says "G3 Vertigo Test". First off, I thought that they had renamed G3 to The Mill; second, unless Vertigo is the name of the program they were using or the control room software they use, this means that Gannett's internal codename of this package is Vertigo.

Vertigo is the name of a broadcast graphics platform.

king1_zpsa45e33f5.png

From tonight's 5pm newscast.

Those graphics clash with the set. Not good at all...

Also, are they using This is Home as the theme music or still with Tower V2? Everybody is mentioning graphics but not once have I seen anything about music...

The other KING-associated stations (KREM, KTVB and KGW) would make sense to follow next?

Why would KGW get the graphics? They are a Sander station.

Besides, their current in-house graphics are so much better than this Gannett corporate crap...

Also, are they using This is Home as the theme music or still with Tower V2? Everybody is mentioning graphics but not once have I seen anything about music...

They are using This is Home. One thing that didn't change was Jim Birdsall, who continues his VO duties at KING.

They are using This is Home. One thing that didn't change was Jim Birdsall, who continues his VO duties at KING.

The cut they're using sucks. Can't wait for the other stations to get this.... :rolleyes:

To the uploader of that video:

Recorded via KING-DT on Cogeco Digital TV (Oakville) Ch. 719.

Uhh, hate to break it to you but you recorded that off their webstream. Sorry, something I'm nitpicky about and why I usually don't watch that particular user's videos...

The cut they're using sucks. Can't wait for the other stations to get this.... :rolleyes:

To the uploader of that video:

Uhh, hate to break it to you but you recorded that off their webstream. Sorry, something I'm nitpicky about and why I usually don't watch that particular user's videos...

i deleted the cable channel from a cable system in canada from the Description on my YT channel.

that look doesn't fit KING 5 at all.

I agree.

I have a feeling it won't fit KENS 5 either. It also won't go with their set at all.

I actually kind of like the cut..

This is Home isn't a bad package. My favorite cut is the one WUSA uses to open their newscasts. I was hoping they would use that cut. I also like the image campaign so hopefully they will get that.

Miranda; wasn't Belo supposed to be standardizing around them with that aborted KHOU package? Maybe they ported the new Gannett system to be compatible with it?U

Yes. The Belo stations were unifying on the Vertigo platform. My guess is Gannett decided to stay with the platorm but instead of rolling out the Belo/Hothaus GFX, went with their own stuff. Since their legacy stations are still on Dekos as far as I know, my guess is those stations will get Miranda equipment as well.

G3 was always G3. The Mill was the design agency brought in to consult on this look.

My positive attitude about this look has not and will not change. It's refreshing, striking, and perhaps since they're on a modern platform, possibly capable of more eyecandy as well. It enhances the editorial content substantially, and it looks pretty damn good to me as a web designer.

Yes. The Belo stations were unifying on the Vertigo platform. My guess is Gannett decided to stay with the platorm but instead of rolling out the Belo/Hothaus GFX, went with their own stuff. Since their legacy stations are still on Dekos as far as I know, my guess is those stations will get Miranda equipment as well.

G3 was always G3. The Mill was the design agency brought in to consult on this look.

My positive attitude about this look has not and will not change. It's refreshing, striking, and perhaps since they're on a modern platform, possibly capable of more eyecandy as well. It enhances the editorial content substantially, and it looks pretty damn good to me as a web designer.

I'm with you on the design. It looks...cleaner than I think a lot of us are used to seeing in American TV news. It's also brilliant with its cross-coordination with the USA Today colors and thus the station websites.

The best design principles work in any medium. Many TV station graphics would not cut it on the Web or in print. This is excellent.

Designing for broadcast is not the same as designing for the web...

Many TV station graphics would not cut it on the Web or in print. This is excellent.

They're not supposed to. Just like most newspaper designs wouldn't work on TV

Since you appear to be the expert on this subject what is the "best" / most powerful graphics engine platform? VizRT, Avid, Chryon, Vertigo, Orad or something else? Seems like Viz has been the latest go to platform.

Also I agree that KINGs set does not match the graphics.

Since you appear to be the expert on this subject what is the "best" / most powerful graphics engine platform? VizRT, Avid, Chryon, Vertigo, Orad or something else? Seems like Viz has been the latest go to platform.

Also I agree that KINGs set does not match the graphics.

I'm pretty sure a new set will come as soon as their building situation is settled. Whether they stay at the current spot or move into a new building is unknown, but no sense of investing in a new set until all the puzzle pieces are in place. As far as the graphics are concerned, no sense in waiting for a new set as these were much needed. Who knows, by the time they decide/complete a new set, Gannett might very well be introducing a whole new graphics package.

More on KING 5's building situation:

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2023304046_king5movingxml.html