Could Disney unload the ABC O&Os?

CircleSeven

25WiTHm.jpg

ok can we please stop with the sinclair conspiracies please? TVNT is becoming a parody of itself any time someone says "station for sale". I don't think Sinclair's strategy is to take over a large group of top market stations. I don't think any one buyer would buy all the ABC O&O's in one piece. I don't think anyone could afford them all.

This. Please.

Has Sinclair even DONE anything to the stations it's bought yet? As in, tangible, negative changes to the presentation and content of the news? The ex-Four Points stations still look pretty nice compared to legacy Sinclair stations.

We're justifiably leery of these acquisitions because of what Sinclair was. But I don't know if that's necessarily what Sinclair now is. The company tripled in size. That in itself means that SBGI is a lot different now than it was in the days of News Central.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My prediction (pure speculation): If ABC goes up for sale AT&T will buy them. Now you may say, "that's absurd". But it may not be as far fetched as you think. Bell owns CTV in Canada. Comcast owns NBC. I think it could work.

Both start with the letter A.

SYNERGY!!!

My prediction (pure speculation): If ABC goes up for sale AT&T will buy them. Now you may say, "that's absurd". But it may not be as far fetched as you think. Bell owns CTV in Canada. Comcast owns NBC. I think it could work.

I know that was intended to be jokey, but this actually almost makes sense. Too bad most of them are VHF-ers, though. If they were on UHF frequencies, AT&T could always shut them down for the spectrum and convert the IP to a cable only channel ... maybe even going to LPTV?

And Bell and ESPN (under a joint venture "CTV Speciality, Inc.") own TSN as well.

And then it comes full circle. WNBC can be traced back to when the original AT&T built and signed on WEAF in 1922. ABC's infancy as NBC Blue Radio was a joint venture between Westinghouse, RCA and Western Union.

It's kind of interesting, because Bell controls CTV and CTV two (the former A Channel, a secondary network not unlike the CW, but with better branding and approach) has a Cumulus-sized stable of radio stations, and a boatload of cable channels and specialty networks. Their long distance and cable services are almost at the bottom of the totem pole.

• 3 weeks later...

So let's here it from the horse's mouth.

As Disney's head man Bob Iger talked to the B&C about the talks on the carriage agreement between Disney & DISH Network, Iger addressed questions about the possible sale of the ABC O&Os. As he called those reports "Complete Speculation".

Iger said the stations "have been good assets for us. They're run extremely well."

He said "we don't comment on mergers and acquisitions, but I don't think it would be wise to conclude these assets are on the market."

As of now, I have strong doubt that Iger would be dumb enough to sell the ABC O&Os or breaking the stations away from the network. As I've said, the O&O group is one of the healtiest groups in the country, and I don't think any other firm would top what ABC has done. It would be a suicide move if the network breaks away from the stations.

So let's here it from the horse's mouth.

As Disney's head man Bob Iger talked to the B&C about the talks on the carriage agreement between Disney & DISH Network, Iger addressed questions about the possible sale of the ABC O&Os. As he called those reports "Complete Speculation".

As of now, I have strong doubt that Iger would be dumb enough to sell the ABC O&Os or breaking the stations away from the network. As I've said, the O&O group is one of the healtiest groups in the country, and I don't think any other firm would top what ABC has done. It would be a suicide move if the network breaks away from the stations.

He didn't say no, either, which worries me. If it was "pure speculation," wouldn't he be happy to refute them completely?

He didn't say no, either, which worries me. If it was "pure speculation," wouldn't he be happy to refute them completely?

It's no secret that the possibility has been discussed. In that regard, he'd look like a total liar if he denied it, even if it's not being explored at the moment.

Archived