Chicago's "ABC7 News" Rebranding to "Eyewitness News"

IndyNewsGuy

Considering that the last real talent open we had was in 1995 - and yes, I know WPVI has a voiceover identifying the talent, but that doesn't count - I'm not as sentimental about it as some others are. I actually kind of think WABC made a mistake going back to talent opens, because the shorter cut of their (really awesome IMO) theme is way more powerful. I still think their open from the early 2000s is one of the best ever - you can't be more to the point than "

"

Then again, I also think any WABC Eyewitness News talent open must end with

And probably include the phrase

Another good example - the WCAU opens from late 2000 to 2003. As much as I love the cheesy, overlong opens that preceded it, the opening with the NBC chimes effectively gets your attention. Right before tossing to local coverage during the Columbia Disaster, NBC just ran the profiles of the lost astronauts with just silence in the background. Then WCAU's open with the chimes hit... I swear I got chills then and there.

...though that WNBC open... I agree on "what the hell is that". And I'd probably sub out "hell".

Honestly, it makes the

You can't spare the five seconds needed for a coherent open? I know Look F's open is long,

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice new graphics but they're falling into the trap of "everything must be blue and white!" It gets old quickly. The other package was more colorful, especially with the gold in lots of places. I feel like it was "classier" than the new look.

I'm also not a huge fan of the Eyewitness News logo. Seems pretty dull.

Not to mention that this is now the third station in the market where shiny circular elements spin behind the logo as it comes in, over a cityscape background that has minimal graphical treatment.

Look at the end of the opens for WMAQ and WBBM and then at WLS again and they all look similar. Is this the new trend????

Not to mention that this is now the third station in the market where shiny circular elements spin behind the logo as it comes in, over a cityscape background that has minimal graphical treatment.

Look at the end of the opens for WMAQ and WBBM and then at WLS again and they all look similar. Is this the new trend????

Time to welcome back the TVNT Investigative Unit...

circles_zpsf9bbda4c.png

Similar, yes, but not hardly close enough to say that any one might be ripping off the other. All three definitely go about it differently.

- WBBM/CBS uses the shapes to animate the eye, and the angle gives it a very multidimensional appearance.

- WLS uses the glassy circles to briefly emphasize the CIRCLE 7, only after the logo has landed on-screen.

- And WMAQ's just looks like horseshit.

I like the Eyewitness news theme music they used at the end of the Saturday morning news for the short closing. The long close someone posted from Sunday I think, I didn't care for as much.

I think the News Series 2000 Plus music should remain on the 5, 6, and 10pm newscasts. It's been a staple for 21 years and people identify with it. Besides, isn't ABC 7 still #1 in the newscasts, just have experienced a ratings drop? It's not whether they change the news title or the theme music, they have made bad schedule changes...first Inside Edition/Jeopardy! at 3pm were a #1 lead in to the 4pm news, Katie isn't at 3pm. Then they drop a #1 11am newscast to make room for Live with Kelly and Michael, practically handing WGN their viewers at 11am.

Emily Barr leading the station always kept it unique from other O&Os while maintaining the #1 position. Now it just seems like with all these changes, WLS is just conforming to be another clone of the other ABC O&O stations.

I kind of slept through the morning news and didn't even bother to record. Is it still the same as Sunday morning?

Basically, but they did make one key change. They used Series 1 for the close, and it was a long one, too (about a minute). It sounded MILES better than stretching the evening close. The poorly cut short open remained, but the talent open is really growing on me. I still have the morning show on tape, I'll upload the close a little later.

I know, it totally surprised me, too. Another thing, unlike the Sunday show, the talent opens at 5(:10) and 6(:10) AM were branded (verbally and visually) as 'ABC 7 Eyewitness News at 5/6'. I didn't see the 4:30 half hour, and I don't recall what the short open at the top of the hour said, but the #:30 rejoin remained as just 'ABC 7 EWN (continues)'.

They did a long close on the weekday show? I always thought they ran super tight on weekday mornings with barely a few seconds to say goodbye.

I know, it totally surprised me, too. Another thing, unlike the Sunday show, the talent opens at 5(:10) and 6(:10) AM were branded (verbally and visually) as 'ABC 7 Eyewitness News at 5/6'. I didn't see the 4:30 half hour, and I don't recall what the short open at the top of the hour said, but the #:30 rejoin remained as just 'ABC 7 EWN (continues)'.

[yt]cavashP4pdI[/yt]

My internet went out right at 4, and the main open at 5 looked kinda bad. I'll try again for those tomorrow.

Enjoy!

4PM Talent:

4:30PM Open:

5PM Talent:

6PM Open:

6PM Talent:

After seeing the 10pm news, I don't like the music changes. News Series 2000 Plus/Stimulus was iconic to the station and Chicago. It needs to be reinstated. Call the news Eyewitness News, but don't change the music! They also need Ron Rolland back as the announcer.

Nothing beats these days, even before HD. Imagine how cool this would look in HD with the swishing 7 logo.

Here's the 10PM open...

The live stream only skipped once during the ENTIRE late news, but it was for the middle 10 seconds of the talent rejoin...so I'll get that, the 4 and 5 opens, and as much of the morning cuts as my sleep schedule will allow tomorrow.

Archived