Chicago's "ABC7 News" Rebranding to "Eyewitness News"

IndyNewsGuy

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the talent open has a little of the signature, but yeah, they did not try on the short open. It's EWN, out of the box.

But I do like the ticker. (It looks like KABC's, but white.)

By the way, the open I feel is part of the first series of EWN.

Which baffles me to why they are using those specific EWN Series 1 cuts because sometime back in the early to mid '90s, Gari did send WLS a hybrid EWN/NS2000+ demo with a handful of full cuts from EWN Series 1, CD 1 with the NS2000+ signature which WLS rejected at the time. If I remember correctly, it had that morning theme with the NS2000+ signature.. For anyone who has a copy of Gari's 1994 news sampler, one of the cuts from that WLS demo (evening close) is on track one (Frank Gari Introduction) of the '94 sampler. My only guesses are that it got lost sometime over the years, Tom took the CD with him when he got the boot, and/or the current CSD has no idea of those cuts in existence.

I was going to say how disappointed I am in the morning cuts, but then it dawned on me...while they're not hardly as good as the 2001 theme, it fits perfectly with the history of the morning show. When the early newscast first aired in '89, they used the 'NS2000' morning cut. Even after the station switched to 'NS2K+' in '92, that original theme remained until 2001, when the 'First News'/'NS2K+' hybrid debuted.

For all but three years of the morning show's nearly quarter century on the air, the morning theme has NEVER totally matched the later shows, so it only seems appropriate that something different is used now.

I will say, though, something about the rhythm and fit of the EWN cut used seems temporary, maybe something else could come later.

Just a thought...

We all saw the evening opens, and it makes me wonder, is there room for 5 anchors in the new opens? I just wondering what the odds are that Chuck Goudie would be cut from the 6 o'clock open and Cheryl Burton from the 10. I do want to point out that Cheryl has been on the air less-frequently than normal, barely a presence at 10, and rarely filling in at 4, with Kathy (primary) and Karen being Linda's main fill-ins. Linda was just off for 2.5 weeks, and I think Cheryl did only 2 days, and those were this past week when Linda was sick (having done WCL Monday morning).

Here is the long close from this morning's 6 AM newscast:

The old one blew it out of the water:

Nice! Thanks, and hopefully there will be more long pieces of the most-likely NS2K+ NG so we can really tell how good or bad it is.

Its just that the open has music and when it transitions to top stories, the music fades out and the anchors talk with no bumper. That's a little strange to me.

Yeah that closing cut is horrible. How cheap was Gari when making this set of cuts? He altered an Advantage bumper to have the NS2000+ theme, altered an Advantage open the same way, then looped the bumper and spliced the 2nd half of the open to the end to create a close. I REALLY hope this is a temporary close until Gari makes a more suitable closing theme. Something with those classic colorful Gari flavors & styles.

Yeah WLS never had a talk-over bed continuing after their opens. I kinda wish they did tho.

Also, let's talk about set updates. My theory is that they're just going to replace the graphic panels in the background, on the walls, and on the banister around the top of the set. The desk, columns, weather center, and over-all structure of the set will stay the same, it'll just be an update to the graphics.

Yeah WLS never had a talk-over bed continuing after their opens. I kinda wish they did tho.

The fact that there's not a talk-over bed doesn't matter to me because it's kind of the station's tradition, but they need a powerful end to the opener like the old package had. The current morning open has the EWN signature, and then the music bed starts up and quickly and awkwardly fades out before the anchors talk. It needs to have the signature and then stop. The morning open we saw today screams temporary, and we really need to see something new hopefully tomorrow or at least by next week. If they really plan on sticking with this for the mornings, that would be pretty embarassing.

A side note, in New York, WABC is the only station who opens the news with a talent open (the lone exception the 11PM weekday open). Many major market stations have dropped this, and I wonder why WLS has them, especially after the first commercial break. If you have the talent opens, I feel you should put them at the beginning of the newscast. I don't know about others, but I feel like they should be played first.

A side note, in New York, WABC is the only station who opens the news with a talent open (the lone exception the 11PM weekday open). Many major market stations have dropped this, and I wonder why WLS has them, especially after the first commercial break. If you have the talent opens, I feel you should put them at the beginning of the newscast. I don't know about others, but I feel like they should be played first.

Just to be clear, the talent rejoin is a new thing for everything but the 4 and 10 shows. As for the other stations, only WGN still does the talent opens. All of theirs are rejoins, as well. The morning show runs'em at the bottom of the hour, and the other shows do'em into the first break of the hour, versus WLS doing them after the first break.

In this day and age, any talent open is a good open, especially when the others are so rushed.

I agree that talent opens are the best type of opens... Compare the open of WNBC (about 10 seconds long) to WABC (about 20-30 seconds) and you can tell the difference. Talent opens are often very well designed, compared to a quick open that basically functions as a station id

I agree that talent opens are the best type of opens... Compare the open of WNBC (about 10 seconds long) to WABC (about 20-30 seconds) and you can tell the difference. Talent opens are often very well designed, compared to a quick open that basically functions as a station id

Exactly...what the hell is this?

[yt]Yvy0JOwglsA[/yt]

Nice new graphics but they're falling into the trap of "everything must be blue and white!" It gets old quickly. The other package was more colorful, especially with the gold in lots of places. I feel like it was "classier" than the new look.

I'm also not a huge fan of the Eyewitness News logo. Seems pretty dull.

Nice new graphics but they're falling into the trap of "everything must be blue and white!" It gets old quickly. The other package was more colorful, especially with the gold in lots of places. I feel like it was "classier" than the new look.

I'm also not a huge fan of the Eyewitness News logo. Seems pretty dull.

I agree. I think WABC's italicized treatment of the EWN logo is the best.

the 6pm open (new open) weekend

the 10pm open (new open) weekend

I-Team Promo

I see this and I'm like, "oooooooh, someone else posted more", click on it, and think "what dumbass filmed his TV?", then realize...just MY crappy grabs.

So disappointing. :lol: I'll be working on getting some better copies up sometime this week.

Archived