Stephen Arnold Music's take on the I Love Chicago/Enforcer signature

channel2

I've always been a fan of the Enforcer Signature, and a big reason is because you can do multiple interpretations of it. The original version, the PNP, the Curtis McKonly/WCBS theme, News in Focus, the Non-Stop themes, and Enforcer are all very different themes, but they all work in some way.

I like Enforcer, and I think the newest version (which KYW has generously played out in full) is really good. But Enforcer's always had a certain "polished" sound to it, whereas this is grittier. In that way, it reminds me of News In Focus, which is a very good thing.

In the end, honestly, I'm just glad there's an alternative.

I like it, not as much as the new Enforcer, but still nice. I like all the CBS Signature packages! If I were to list them all in my favorite (from best to worst, and the worst is not bad):

-Enforcer NG4

-Enforcer Series 2

-WCBS McKonly/Metro Music

-Enforcer NG1

-Enforcer NG2

-This New Theme

-PNP

-News In Focus

-The Rest of the Original Enforcer

-Enforcer NG3 (Nobody used it much)

and whatever I missed!

I hope we get to hear more cuts of this Arnold package soon. I don't really like Enforcer; until recently KCNC was using an original 1994 cut for bumpers and it has not aged well at all. New Generation 2 is alright, but KCNC only uses about three cuts of it.

KPHO is still using bunches of original series cuts. They use tons of different Enforcer cuts that don't match.

When NG4 is syndicated, here's hoping KPHO goes for it. The 1994 original set does not match 2013's newscasts. At all.

I hope we get to hear more cuts of this Arnold package soon. I don't really like Enforcer; until recently KCNC was using an original 1994 cut for bumpers and it has not aged well at all. New Generation 2 is alright, but KCNC only uses about three cuts of it.

KCNC is all over the place with Enforcer!

I think the problem with the original Enforcer isn't that it's a 1994 theme.

It's that it's a theme from 1994 that's a note-for-note remake of a theme from 1975.

It may be note-for-note per se, but it's different. It has a totally different feel of how it's orchestrated.

A lot of people are saying how dated the 1994 cuts sound, but I love it. It sounds classic, but fresh at the same time. I like the original Enforcer more than anything else that has come out of the New Generations.

I like it, not as much as the new Enforcer, but still nice. I like all the CBS Signature packages! If I were to list them all in my favorite (from best to worst, and the worst is not bad):

-Enforcer NG4

-Enforcer Series 2

-WCBS McKonly/Metro Music

-Enforcer NG1

-Enforcer NG2

-This New Theme

-PNP

-News In Focus

-The Rest of the Original Enforcer

-Enforcer NG3 (Nobody used it much)

and whatever I missed!

What about the Millennium 3 version of the signature? Although the I Love Chicago signature appears only sporadically within each theme of that version of the package.

I think the problem with the original Enforcer isn't that it's a 1994 theme.

It's that it's a theme from 1994 that's a note-for-note remake of a theme from 1975.

My problem with the 1994 cut they were using isn't entirely its age, admittedly, it's also that I didn't like how it sounded.

I agree with channel 2. That is my least favorite as well. He and I hear that constantly as the morning tease and bumper, even though NG2 is used as the open.

I do think that stations need to not use such a variety of cuts. There is a right and a wrong way to use a package as large as Enforcer or NBC Collection. If we're talking NBC Collection, it sounds weird and wrong to use a New Millennium cut for the open and use NG1 for bumpers. So, in the sense of using mix-matched cuts in the broadcast, that would be dated and wrong. They should use all NG2. But they could use the 1994 cuts elsewhere for an entire broadcast and it might sound great.

• 6 months later...

BOOOM. Stephen Arnold just came up with the PERFECT name for the signature. "CBS Local" might be his package... but CBS Local Signature has a VERY nice ring to it.

the one i like the best of the local CBS themes is News In Focus by John Hegner Music link is here http://southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,199

If I had to pick the best theme to use the CBS Local signature, it's this one. The variety of cuts, the very interesting takes, the amazing closes. The best theme in the whole package, in my mind, is the morning news theme. It's just magnificent.

[yt]w-GQlG4HPaw[/yt]

Archived