More bad news for CBS 2

former newsboy

So Robert Feder recently reported that Channel 2's 10PM newscast is down a whopping 30% from the same time last year. There goes their "Chicago's fastest growing news" claim. And of course that's 30% less than their already awesome ratings.

And not only that, but WFLD's "The Ten" which has only been on the air for 7 weeks, beats Channel 2 many nights. Personally, I really don't understand how that could be true when overall Channel 2 is in third place at 10 (which doesn't SOUND all that bad!) and 'FLD is in a dismal SEVENTH. But apparently it is. True, that is.

Antonio, Diann, and Mark all need to go. Why Mr. Ahern is so unable to see that mystifies me. Well maybe he does know it. He realized a change was needed on the weekends when he replaced Jon & Sylvia with Jim & Alita so why's he trying to save face with Antonio & Diann?

It seems it's not ALL bad for Channel 2. I came across this half-page ad today in the Chicago Sun-Times...

randyroseanne.jpg

I for one couldn't be happier to see that. And I can include myself in the 67%. As I said a while back in another thread, I've found myself suddenly hooked on Randy, Roseanne, Susan, Bill, and uggh, Ed Curran. [insert plug for Rick DiMaio here]. While Antonio & Diann continue to go nowhere fast, here's proof that genuine chemistry and a REAL rapport matter to viewers.

I suspect the erosion of WFLD's cast of characters also has something to do with it. What the heck did that new management team do to that AM show?! Butchers! It really started to find it's rhythm with David, Tamron, Patrick, Nancy, Michelle, Bruce and Sheila and then, well I guess their loss is CBS 2's gain.

And I hope things continue on this upward trend for Channel 2's morning crew. It appears the station's now investing it's resources on seeing that that happens too. I've noticed more on-air promotion including new commercials with Randy & Roseanne as well as this newspaper ad of course. So we'll see, maybe Mr. Ahern's found his saving grace.

What is the Big fuss about Diann Burns anyway? I know she's popular in the AFrican-American community but as an African-American myself I never saw her appeal. I always liked Cheryl Burton better and thought she was WAY better than diann. Diann just happened to be on the #1 newscasts for many years and I guess b/c Ahern promoted her over at WLS he thought that same magic would happen for him over at WBBM. Too bad, all in all their newscasts are pretty good.

I've heared some rumbling recently that with the recent dip in the ratings, station brass is about to boot Antonio Mora and give the top spot to Rob Johnson.

Rob is a better anchor, but I don't think he's the answer either. I find him a little nauseating to watch at times! But he is pretty smooth, much smoother than Antonio who lives for those awkward moments of silence with Diann when they just look at each other and laugh cuz they're so stupid.

Anyways, anyone have any inside info. on whether or not Antonio's out and Rob's in?

OK I got one word well actually three words for you:

MARY ANN CHILDERS

The woman is a brillliant anchor and I think much better than Diann Burns. I like Diann, no I really do, but she's not cutting it. Ahern brought her in due to her popularity at WLS. WLS hasn't fallen in the ratings by no means since she left that station. Does he not get it? Actually I thought Rob Johnson and Cheryl Burton had awsome chemistry when they anchor the weekend broadcasts for 5 years.

Wow, it's like the same situation that happened here in NY. Big name Roz Abrams was brought over to WCBS from WABC. WABC didn't suffer in the ratings at all. WCBS was on and off. The ratings were good at first but they declined. Almost everyone agrees on the NY boards that people watch WABC out of habit, maybe its the same situation in Chicago with WLS. Or maybe people don't like CBS. Is there a CBS station out there that is number one in ratings?

There are some CBS stations out there that are number 1in their markets but they're not a top 10 market. In cities like, Houston, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Kansas city, Columbus, OH, New Orleans, San Franciso, all CBS stations in their markets are #1. those are the only ones I can think off the top of my head.

I think it happens all the time. For example, I live in Dallas and Tracey rowlett, who came from WFAA (ABC Affiliate) in February 2000 after 24 years of working there and consistent #1 ratings, came to KTVT (the local CBS affiliate) and WFAA suffered some but they've rebounded STRONG this year and is #1 in most time slots. KTVT, sadly once a great news organization, has fallen off the map and their news now consists of monitoring the Police Scanners and they report EVERY crime, fire, tragedy in the Dallas Ft. Worth area. they are a distant #3 in the ratings.

KFMB San Diego is #1 at 5 and 6:30pm. It helps that they have the Oprah lead-in. But at 11pm KGTV the ABC affiliate is #1, and they are no WABC or WLS. In fact their newscasts are reffered to as "tossed salad newscasts", because of how crappy they are. What helps them a lot is the ABC Primetime lineup.

DFWTVNews30, I couldn't agree with you more about Mary Ann Childers, just look at my picture! So many people feel this way, I don't know what it's gonna take for Ahern to do it.

And actually, Antonio's way better when paired with Mary Ann, they make a very strong team. I think Diann brings out the dumb in him.

In fact their newscasts are reffered to as "tossed salad newscasts", because of how crappy they are.

I would definitely not want to watch a newscast that included tossed salad - YUK! :p

Im sure they don't have tossed salad in the newscast but what I was saying was that in most cases salad preparation in fairly simple. Cut the lettuce, mix it and put the dressing on. That is what KGTV's newscasts are, nothing more than crap. Stories that are slapped together without good research, inexperienced talent that don't know how to report.You can really tell when a station is putting crap on and it does not take a genious to figure out that they are trying to bullsh*t the viewers.

Getting back on track here...

Well, the rumors were true! Antonio Mora's out, and Rob Johnson's in as 10PM anchor at Channel 2. But with 18 months left on his contract, Mora will continue on at 6PM and Eye on Chicago.

READ ALL ABOUT IT IN ROBERT FEDER TODAY

http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/415423,CST-FIN-feder06.article

AND IN THE CHICAGO TRIBUNE

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-wed_phil0606jun06,0,3135373.story?coll=chi-business-hed

Well Antonio tried. I dont think he's the problem. LIke Rob JOhnson said, its hard breaking the habits of viewers.

When did he say that?

Click on one of the links above and Rob Johnson give a mini interview after his promotion to the 10pm newscast. Rob is good. I will give him that.

I wonder what happened to cause CBS 2's ratings to fall so much after their "glory years" in the late 70s and early 80s. What happened? Anyone know?

From Newsblues.com: Bombs away on Diann, viewers lash out

Is Diann Burns getting the boot too?

No im thinking its from Feder's column. He had quite of few people write him bashing Diann in the beginning.

Do you have a link to Feder's column?

Jonathan Freeburg: Antonio Mora is not the problem on the 10 p.m. news. It's Diann Burns. If the bosses at Channel 2 really wanted to improve ratings, they should pair Antonio or Rob Johnson with anyone else. Someone at WBBM needs to step up and admit the mistake in hiring Burns.

Ben Geigle: If you ask me, it's a shame that Antonio has to take the fall for Diann Burns' lack of personality. She's the single most overrated and overpaid news anchor in Chicago.

Joseph Cirignani: Did a knowledgeable guy like Joe Ahern really think he got the Second Coming when he hired Diann Burns? He must now know why Channel 7 was very, very happy with her departure. This Rob Johnson thing is just another chapter in the book. They are going nowhere.

Nancy Hodges: Those fools at Channel 2 don't know that it's Diann Burns who no one can stand to watch -- especially after her disgusting lawsuit. Poor Antonio -- what a nice, pleasant, happy newscaster -- taking the fall. I hope somebody snatches him up and CBS sinks further.

Ralph Anderson: As long as Channel 2 allows that supercilious, overpaid, under-talented narcissistic Diann What's-Her-Name to read TelePrompTers, their ratings will crater.

Kurt Mathes: Do you think part of Channel 2's cellar-dwelling is due to their poor to non-existent over-the-air signals?

And yet, Ahern is missing the point. This was exactly what happened in sister WCBS. They hired Roz Abrams, like Diann, nearly at the same time, all hype, second God arrival and the ratings were still in the dumpster. Good thing that WCBS new management got rid of Roz, and the ratings are starting to improve. Take a lesson from NYC, dear ol' Joe, and dump Diann, she is the problem, not Antonio or Rob. Hell, they should bring back Linda MacLennan and Bill Kurtis.

That's what I thought, I just wasn't sure. I'm sure u can understand how I might have thought that.

As for Jeff Taylor, hey, to each his own. You like him, and I happen to think he's a small market, geeky guy without much personality or confidence. Tomato, tomato.

But your failure to see Mary Ann Childers and Steve Baskerville as the tops in their fields that they are makes me wonder.

Mary Ann is unequivocally the best anchor at Channel 2, if not the entire city of Chicago. A first rate broadcaster, her 25+ years in the chair have been marked by class, professionalism, and not a speck of controversy. She just does her job, and does it well, very well. She's amazingly skilled at reporting breaking news - refeshingly articulate, poised, flawless and a strong communicator. Plus she's a market veteran, a name you know and a face you trust. (I'm going to make MYSELF throw up here). But u asked why I like her and I told u.

And really, how could u NOT like Steve Baskerville? I mean how many emmys has the guy won for on-air excellence, etc?! He's the nicest guy in the world, a total pro, and the most accurate forecaster in the city. Not to mention very well-known and recognizable, just like Mary Ann is.

Archived