New CBS O&O Graphics Begin Rollout

Weeters

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're thinking of the last graphics update. KCNC still isn't on the new version, and probably won't be til after the first of the year at this point.

Okay, quick opinion. I like that WCCO is alternating the website with the time/temp. KDKA really needs to consider that. They have way too much going on with their bug. WCCO, on the other hand, needs to go with the new open. They could still do the studio cam open, just sub that in when the new intro would normally go to a skyline at the end. I liked the idea of the studio cam, because it was different and didn't really matter considering how simple the other stations' were at the time. Now that the new package has a good open, they should use it.

How will they ChromaKey the last part of the open into the live shot?

That could be tricky.

I ment they could, like Hulk said, alpha channel the last part of the open in the live shot.

There are no chroma keys used in these elements. The only place that type of key is used in news production is at a weather/traffic wall.

If anybody is interested, here is the closing to WBZ News at 6pm

BZ for whatever reason avoids long closes (more than 10-15 sec.) like the plague. If there's any extra time at the end they just fill it with idle, small talk.

BZ for whatever reason avoids long closes (more than 10-15 sec.) like the plague. If there's any extra time at the end they just fill it with idle, small talk.

"Whatever reason" = most viewers are not likely to sit there to watch credits and listen to some music. Stretches of airtime without meaningful content can trigger a channel change.

• 3 weeks later...

KPIX, KCNC, and WJZ (WJZ won't get it for sure). WLNY and KCAL are still on their old packages, too, though I doubt CBS will give them a modified version of the new stuff.

They gave WLNY and KCAL a modified version of their old stuff, right? They probably have a new version coming. Besides, aside from the open and maybe a few elements, it's probably much easier to modify and use this package on those stations.

They gave WLNY and KCAL a modified version of their old stuff, right? They probably have a new version coming. Besides, aside from the open and maybe a few elements, it's probably much easier to modify and use this package on those stations.

Yep. They just replaced the floating eye with the station's logo. Honestly, I think they could make the new package fit WLNY and KCAL by doing the same thing.

Last night, during the 10pm news, WCCO used what the other updated stations are using as the new open as a rejoin. I'm not sure when this started.

And here is the video if anyone is interested...

Yep. They just replaced the floating eye with the station's logo. Honestly, I think they could make the new package fit WLNY and KCAL by doing the same thing.

They also changed the graphics' colors a lot... The CBS stations had all-blue looks but WLNY and KCAL had a blue/yellow color scheme.

I rarely watch WLNY but I just noticed that they have the new bug (along with the ticker -- it's up in advance of tomorrow's snow storm) but all other graphics, including lower-thirds that don't line up, appear to be the same.

Archived