New CBS O&O Graphics Begin Rollout

Weeters

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A step in the right direction, but they still have a ways to go. The colors are much better but the use of Extended Helvetica, it just makes my eyes bleed. It can be a nice font if you use it right which they do not. Like I said, just take the new O&O stuff and have some composer update Chroma Cues (the current cuts will turn 17 next year). New set would be nice too, although the current set (

) has actually held up pretty well.

Also as an aside they changed the font of the CBSBaltimore.com reference, it was previously Trubuchet:

8ujs.png

KCAL has a new bug in the style of the new/current O&O graphics that showed during a demo/tech segment during the 2pm newscast, yet for only that segment... the old bug/time/temp combo returned thereafter. Mods....sorry for the double post...and for the bump on the other threads!! It won't happen again, and if you can, please delete my other post!! Otherwise, this is a sign we may see new stuff on the duopolized indies!!

• 2 weeks later...

I find it interesting that quite a few stations have adopted the gold channel number look with these graphics. It seemed to me that when the first O&O package debuted, more stations were doing the opposite— going to one color and/or boxed logos. At one point, I thought KCNC was headed that direction, at least.

KDKA's implementation of the new graphics package is a real cut above the old look. I am really blown away. I am working on a graphics montage to put on YouTube, and, once I get all of the opens recorded, I'll upload them, too.

The opens alone are absolutely breathtaking!!

KDKA chose the line "Live...from the KDKA Broadcast Center in Downtown Pittsburgh....this....is KDKA-TV News, at (time)" for their opens.

Okay, quick opinion. I like that WCCO is alternating the website with the time/temp. KDKA really needs to consider that. They have way too much going on with their bug. WCCO, on the other hand, needs to go with the new open. They could still do the studio cam open, just sub that in when the new intro would normally go to a skyline at the end. I liked the idea of the studio cam, because it was different and didn't really matter considering how simple the other stations' were at the time. Now that the new package has a good open, they should use it.

I agree with the above poster. WCCO is one of the most creative stations in the country, so I expect a little more from them. I can't believe they're still using those elements from the old package in their opens.

I was kind of expecting them to feature the Weather Watcher thing in the skyline shots of new package's open. Oh well...

So this just leaves KCNC and KPIX (my home stations, incidentally) as the only two CBS stations yet to get it (besides WJZ, etc. etc.)? Or did I miss one?

Has KCAL gotten new graphics yet?

Here's the open for the 10:00 News on Pittsburgh's CW...make sure to watch in HD.

I will take back what I said about the new version of Enforcer. After hearing it firsthand, I think it is one of the best themes in the package. Very orchestral, modern, powerful. It's a good replacement for the CD 10 theme, which I always felt was a bit dark.

Not sure how I feel about the 2 being gold again... I think the first iteration of the O&O logo really ruined that for me. It was a very poorly designed logo, obviously hastily thrown together and when the WCBS-esque graphics debuted, the monotone logo was a nice change. In time I think I'll get used to it, seeing as how the old Group W 2 was gold from 1992 until it's untimely demise in 2004.

Very happy altogether, can't wait to see more at 11.

Another thing that should be pointed out is how well the launch was executed. When KDKA launched the old CBS graphics in 2010 it was a disaster. Lower thirds weren't in the right place, the logo bug was not even close to being in line with the lower thirds, and elements of the old WBBM look were mixed in with the new one.

This, on the other hand, has gone so smoothly and without any problems. I was fortunate to watch the noon newscast today (the "debut" newscast), and everything went perfectly.

One thing though...is it me, or is the eye-2 part spaced too far apart in the logo bug? The logo just doesn't look right. It's fine on the monitor in front of the newsdesk.

One thing though...is it me, or is the eye-2 part spaced too far apart in the logo bug? The logo just doesn't look right. It's fine on the monitor in front of the newsdesk.

Glad I'm not the only one who sees that.

So this just leaves KCNC and KPIX (my home stations, incidentally) as the only two CBS stations yet to get it (besides WJZ, etc. etc.)? Or did I miss one?

That sounds about right.

If I recall, KPIX and KCNC were the last of the CBS O&O's to get the old package as well.

Archived