The New CBS 3 Graphics, Music, and Anchor Thread

Jess

My initial thoughts: I see some elements of "CBS 10" from back in the day, especially in their open.

Graphics - They're really good. Although I think I was expecting more for the L3's. The one change I hated was the 7 day. I think they could've done way better there.

Music - The cuts are definitely a change. Makes them sound more hard news, but doesn't quite match their content, in my opinion.

Jessica - She reminds me of "The Closer". Southern lady coming into the major city life. She seems to be a good fit though, but I definitely have to get used to hearing the Southern accent.

Will these changes move 3 up in ratings? I don't think so, especially now that 10 is on very solid ground and making a real play at 6. But 3 in their own skin, for their format, I think big improvement.

The graphics might just be KYW's best graphics package since before they rebranded to CBS 3. Because when you compare the 10 years of graphics they had (the 2007-10 (?) graphics were good) to now, the current one is clearly a better one. Plus for me, the graphics fit their set much better.

The graphics might just be KYW's best graphics package since before they rebranded to CBS 3. Because when you compare the 10 years of graphics they had (the 2007-10 (?) graphics were good) to now, the current one is clearly a better one. Plus for me, the graphics fit their set much better.

This is one of 3's best GFX since their 2003-05 and their HOTHAUS GFX (2007-10). (and this is coming from a fan of the station since the News Tonight/Day/Beat era!)

The graphics are pretty good, though I'd hesitate to call them great. they are a refreshing change from the blue. blue, and more blue that had dominated the station's look since the changeover to "CBS 3".

The lower thirds bug me. Gotham Ultra Black is a terrible weight to be used there, especially when you have readable medium and Bold widths used elsewhere in the package. While they look nice, the return to an opaque background is disappointing - I thought the old lowers were perfect save for font choice. The details l3s don't look as good.

Opens are fine. Effort was put into them, which makes it a massive improvement. I do like the voiceover: "Live from the CBS 3 studios, This is Eyewitness News." I like how they separate the terms. I do very much like the logo - I don't know if it was intentional, but the bug has a blue-tinted CBS eye against the golden 3. I like how it sets off both elements of the logo.

Music? It's okay. But I'm going to throw this out there - I think it's time someone else got a shot at the Enforcer sig. Gari has this specific interpretation of it, which is fine, but we've had three versions of it in a row and I'd like to see something new.

Fullscreens look nice at first but quickly lose their luster when the white banner isn't there or they shove a graphic into the doublebox. There's less depth to it and while the Big Glass Eye got tired, this isn't much of an improvement.

As for news content.... yeah. Too light, to wishy-washy, too blah.

Music? It's okay. But I'm going to throw this out there - I think it's time someone else got a shot at the Enforcer sig. Gari has this specific interpretation of it, which is fine, but we've had three versions of it in a row and I'd like to see something new.

Stay tuned...

I don't know if it was intentional, but the bug has a blue-tinted CBS eye against the golden 3. I like how it sets off both elements of the logo.

I think the two-tone color logo is awful. There's no point to that. They are also using the wrong CBS eye, the "small-use" version, and it looks odd. Whomever approved that needs glasses.

Archived