Leaked! New CBS O&O Graphics

Weeters

Looks like we have yet another graphics leak, and this time it's a big one! A video with a lengthy demo of what are believed to be the new CBS O&O graphics package was uploaded last week and uncovered by TVNewsTalk member HulkieD.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=img_ctrl&img=349&file=small

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=img_ctrl&img=352&file=small

The new graphics upgrade some elements of the current CBS O&O package, while using elements and designs that appear to be heavily influenced by the NBC O&O package that debut in 2012. The font used in the demo is Gotham, the same font that the "Diagrid" Hearst group package uses.

cbsnbc.jpg

The new CBS O&O graphics and NBC O&O graphics... separated at birth?

TVNewsTalk has a complete gallery of the leaked graphics available below.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=img_ctrl&img=347&file=thumb

Album: CBS O&O Graphics - 2013

40 images

0 comments

Click here to view the article

Definite improvement. Definitely inspired by the NBC O&O look with some influence from the CBS network promos.

It bugs me how they're still using the incorrect/old Twitter "t" logo... It should be the bird. That's just not keeping up with design changes.

I also don't like how the sports team logos are badly zoomed and cropped. They've been doing this since the current package debuted three-plus years ago. (The previous WCBS package had the logos in rounded parallelograms and it looked nice. My guess is that they cropped those to make them rectangular to save time.)

From what we've seen, they seem to be inconsistent on lower-third capitalization, though it's probably just in this demo. WCBS Currently Capitalizes Every First Letter Of A Sentence and I wish they'd stop doing that.

This package does seem to be much more detailed and I haven't noticed the same sloppiness that has plagued the current look from the start. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.

Another Look F from CBS? When it comes to CBS making news graphics, they start copying NBC's graphic elements off from them. I find this, (I don't know what to say, but it is a ripoff of the NBC Look F graphics to me). I see the news graphics from them is heavily inspired by NBC's Look F graphics. So I will say the graphics that CBS made may be a ripoff of NBC's Look F graphics. Shame on CBS. Rip-off news graphics.

Another Look F from CBS? When it comes to CBS making news graphics, they start copying NBC's graphic elements off from them. I find this, (I don't know what to say, but it is a ripoff of the NBC Look F graphics to me). I see the news graphics from them is heavily inspired by NBC's Look F graphics. So I will say the graphics that CBS made may be a ripoff of NBC's Look F graphics. Shame on CBS. Rip-off news graphics.

Rip-off? I rather call it a rip-ON. The current 3.5 year old GFX for the Eye's stations are not professionally made. The new GFX for the Eye's stations are a sight for sore eyes. (Again, get it?) Which would you rather have? The new crisp GFX or the "oooh shinnny!" Eye flipping GFX? Heck it's your opinion. I'm just responding to it.

Rip-off? I rather call it a rip-ON. The current 3.5 year old GFX for the Eye's stations are not professionally made. The new GFX for the Eye's stations are a sight for sore eyes. (Again, get it?) Which would you rather have? The new crisp GFX or the "oooh shinnny!" Eye flipping GFX? Heck it's your opinion. I'm just responding to it.

You know what I really want to see? I want to see each and every television station having their own distinctive look so they can have their own identity, their own individuality and their own local feel and creativity (like it was back in the day). But we all know that the Corporate Master that's not going to happen anytime soon.

You know what I really want to see? I want to see each and every television station having their own distinctive look so they can have their own identity, their own individuality and their own local feel and creativity (like it was back in the day). But we all know that the Corporate Master that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Look. This is really not anything new. Standardized branding has been around since the 60s.

It's more apparent now with the advances in technology and changes in the way news is presented. But it's always been there.

The beloved Westinghouse typeface (NOT ANKLEPANTS) was a standardized look.

The logo for ABC's television station group itself was the circle-7. All of them used the Lalo Schifrin music at one point. It's future owner, CapCities, had a standard "silhouette" opening set to MCTYW. And, of course, the merged company created the ABC Video Design Group, which established ABC's great "CapCities Chrome" look of the 80s and 90s.

I can't think of any CBS affiiliate that didn't use Rockwell (or whatever that font was) during the 80s. NBC stations had standard logos and branding for much of the 70s. Fox was standard from the start.

Is it more apparent now? Probably. I don't know. But standardized looks have always been around, and when properly done, can be fantastic. When poorly done, it lowers the quality of the whole group.

I've come to realize that doing a local newscast is more than having local-specific graphics. It's about providing coverage that's relevant to the community, that's not overly dramatic, that's more than blood and guts, with local anchors who I can depend on. I'm thankful that I live in a market with two great stations that provide all that.

Guest chrelevator

Does anyone think WBZ will get the new graphics?

I think in due time all of the O&Os will get the package (though you never know what WJZ will do).

I wonder how KDKA will handle these new graphics. They STILL do not have a VizRT system (I have no idea what they do use) and the lack of VizRT means that the graphics won't look right.

I think in due time all of the O&Os will get the package (though you never know what WJZ will do).

I wonder how KDKA will handle these new graphics. They STILL do not have a VizRT system (I have no idea what they do use) and the lack of VizRT means that the graphics won't look right.

What's VizRT have to do with anything?

That explains nothing though. Chyron Axis is just as capable of handling flashy animations as VizRT's system.

That's my point. Whether KDKA decides to access whatever power their graphic system has is their choice. I threw out the first system that came to mind in lieu of a VizRT system. It could be any broadcast graphics engine. I think WCAUTVNBC10's point, and I agree, is that it is not the system that is the problem at KDKA. Its the utilization.

That's my point. Whether KDKA decides to access whatever power their graphic system has is their choice. I threw out the first system that came to mind in lieu of a VizRT system. It could be any broadcast graphics engine. I think WCAUTVNBC10's point, and I agree, is that it is not the system that is the problem at KDKA. Its the utilization.

True...

Yep. VizRT and Chyron are just Pepsi and Coke when it comes to graphics systems (there's a few other systems out there too but those are the big two). Each have their pluses and minuses but they and both put out crap when whoever's running them doesn't know what they're doing and or are just lazy or even worse, to steal a line from HukieD, RoboCop is running it.

Archived