NFL on Fox problems today

Chicago2008

Watching DA Bears game and the NFL on fox had technical difficulties, what on earth happened did they hire the village idiot to run all the technical stuff?

I don't think it's fair to blame an individual for what happened. It sounds like there was a major equipment failure.

For anyone who didn't see what happened, they went through a good portion of the game without any on-screen graphics, leading up to a major failure at the end of the first half where the satellite uplink was lost, and they had to do an audio transmission of the game through what sounded like a phone line. Video wise, the folks in LA threw up an NFL on Fox logo on the screen with the ticker running on the bottom. Then, instead of sticking with the audio, Fox abruptly cut away to the Halftime Report with 40 seconds still remaining in the first half.

Video (graphics included) returned in the second half, but the graphics continued to fail intermittantly throughout the remainder of the game, and even when the graphics were working, all of the animations on the score bug were in slow-mo, and various other animations were extremely choppy. Also, when they showed prepackaged video, the score bug would not automatically disappear like it normally does in transition to the recorded package. Instead, the score bug would remain on screen a few seconds into the video until it could be manually removed.

In other words, the entire telecast was an absolute technological disaster. Can't remember ever seeing a regular season NFL game have this much difficulty. I've seen it happen on locally televised MLB, NBA, and NHL games, but I've never seen this happen on a major network telecast before.

• 2 weeks later...

I can recall a game on CBS a couple years back that went a good 20 minutes or so with no booth commentary due to a technical problem of some sort. It was actually far preferable to Jim Nantz and Phil Simms, IMO. Also a game in Denver where, thanks to a snowstorm keeping the regular trucks from arriving, Fox had to make do with the Fox Sports Net graphics with "NFL on Fox" logos slapped over the top and no first down lines.

Probably the worst sports snafu I remember was a UT game some time back around the time of the ABC-ESPN merger where the switcher apparently died early in the 4th quarter and after a couple minutes of a blank screen, the rest of the game was shown from a single camera angle.

I also recall an NFL Network snafu just like the one above where there was no booth commentary for an extended period of time at the start of the game. It was NFL Network's season debut in 2009, Bears @ 49ers. I think that was when Matt Millen was with NFL Network? In that case, no commentary is a good thing.

Last month during a Premier League soccer match between Aston Villa and Liverpool FC, there was some technical difficulty from NBC where the feed was having a glitch and it ended up using a different feed and once everything got fixed, Arlo White (the commentator for the match on NBC) apologized to the viewers for the glitch.

Archived