WMTW New Graphics and Logo

broadcastfan9751

Somehow, this implementation doesn't surprise me. When I lived in the area, it was the station I watched the least for news for a number of reasons - presentation being among them. Pleasantly surprised to see Steve Minich was promoted though. He's been one of the solidly good reporters in the market for ages.

The refreshes to the set appear to be minimal at this point. The basic structure & even the desk are the ones that have been in place since they moved to Portland over a decade ago. The only major change was bringing the Weather Center to the news set, though that was done in a previous refresh of their image back around 2006 or 07.

WMTW's new logo clearly differs from the common logo appearance that most of the company's stations have used to now. Considering that most Hearst stations use just a numerical logo with some background, with the calls and news branding being just text.

To date, WMTW is only the second Hearst station to have its logo altered when it switched to the new standardized graphics/music package (KOCO dumped BankGothic for Effra for the text-only portion but kept the "Circle 5" used since '94 when it got the package in April); any others that altered their logo from the mid-late 1990s Hearst design (like KMBC and WDSU) did so before they switched.

Somehow, this implementation doesn't surprise me.

The 5:00 newscast was a "hot mess" for a lack of better word.

According to a TVSpy thread, the fact that they would be producing a 5 PM show again was only announced to the staff of WMTW by management a few weeks ago, and things were still up in the air about it even as of a few days ago. So rushing to get things ready and having to implement a new look didn't bode well...

In another note, the new logo reminds me very much of the logo they had used until it was replaced with the previous logo:

Wmtw_old.jpg

Archived