"TouchVision" expanding somehow

Weeters

The ongoing disaster that is "TouchVision" seems to be expanding somehow. I found the following job posting on WDJT's website:

YOU: A great storyteller, experienced in turning around video news/information in a live television and internet environment and on deadline. Open minded, adventurous and ready to join a groundbreaking new television network in the great city of Milwaukee.

US: Completely focused on re-imagining the way news and information is produced for America`s new mainstream. We are a powerful mix of network and local news broadcasters setting out to build a revolutionary network putting America back in touch with 21st century reality.

THE REST: Ideal candidates are great storytellers, with experience in line producing, writing, video editing, (Final Cut Pro 7 and/or Edius), working in an iNews format and being part of a dynamic group that is committed to being the new generation leaders in news.

It seems to me like it's for a position that will just be making localized content for this dumb network totally Hip and Modern network that is For The Kids because the Market Research said Young People respond well to videos that use this specific formula.

I like how the writing suggests that "America" (all of it!) is somehow out of touch "with 21st century reality".

I would feel very bad if Channel 26 airs this "NewsFix 24/7" wastefulness, once they hand the This TV keys to Channel 9 on November 1st. If they do have to run this POS if anything, place it on 23.2 and move Bounce TV to where This TV is, in that place. Either way, a completely waste of bandwidth. Especially since auction time is coming near. With all this repacking, (with a possibility of two stations sharing the same frequency post-auction), I would be shocked if this little excuse of a channel is going to survive, or any other specialty subchannels for that matter.

And relating to the market research, yeah they're probably right. They'll respond to videos very well. That's why we have YouTube. Those younger folks are not going to break away from finding content, from sources they're already finding it, whether its YouTube or Yahoo or other social media. And I see they're trying to preach about this new network will put them back into this century's reality. They act as if our younger generation is stupid, that we have to use their product, so we can adopt as they say into the "21st Century reality". They obviously don't have a clue themselves, so they shouldn't say nothing. And from this TVNewsCheck article earlier this summer, a certain former NYC news director is also involved in this new channel.

So we'll see if this news kaleidoscope wheel of a channel shows any sort of success. I wouldn't hold my breath if it does become nothing more than a flop.

• 2 weeks later...

So last week Lee Abrams was in town (darn, I missed it!) to officially launch TouchVision at WDJT.

http://www.cbs58.com/features/in-the-community/TouchVision-Founder-comes-to-Milwaukee-to-launch-channel-222567171.html

"We wanted to treat news like we were treating rock radio, that was the roots of it," Abrams told dozens of staffers from CBS 58 Milwaukee who had gathered for a luncheon.

Any time you say you want to treat news like "rock radio" is a time when you should just stop talking.

So last week Lee Abrams was in town (darn, I missed it!) to officially launch TouchVision at WDJT.

http://www.cbs58.com/features/in-the-community/TouchVision-Founder-comes-to-Milwaukee-to-launch-channel-222567171.html

Any time you say you want to treat news like "rock radio" is a time when you should just stop talking.

SMH. I hope WCIU don't air this network, once This TV moves to Channel 9 this November. If they do air it, they can place it on the spot where Bounce is (WWME 23.2) and move Bounce to 26.5. I'm not ready to see this 24/7 "NewsFix" trainwreck.

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that TouchVision garbage is now airing the test run right now in its flagship city on WMEU-CD 48.2. Next Month, This TV is moving to Channel 9. I hope they move Bounce to 26.5 and not this disaster. Weigel also pointed out that they want to expand this to its South Bend & Rockford properties. Like who in Rockford is watching WFBN? Other than Spanish programming feeding off of WYTU.

• 5 months later...

WDJ/WMLW is now teasing "TouchNews", which seems to be a block of TouchVision broadcast on WMLW.

Because nothing says "News for the 21st Century" more than a block of programming on an independent television channel.

HOW hasn't this disaster run out of money yet?

WDJ/WMLW is now teasing "TouchNews", which seems to be a block of TouchVision broadcast on WMLW.

Because nothing says "News for the 21st Century" more than a block of programming on an independent television channel.

HOW hasn't this disaster run out of money yet?

SMMFH!!! :bang:

You see they haven't expanded outside of the Weigel properties yet.

Just give it some time. It will dry up, and they will give up. :)

I actually had Touchvision on for a few minutes earlier tonight, and I figured out what the only reasonable use for it might be. I could it being shown on buses and in train stations and airports.

...maybe.

And that's it.

Nothing more.

I actually had Touchvision on for a few minutes earlier tonight, and I figured out what the only reasonable use for it might be. I could it being shown on buses and in train stations and airports.

...maybe.

And that's it.

Nothing more.

Pretty much this.

I don't know where the whole thing about how much "the kids" use their mobile devices translates into "Let's start a 24/7 broadcast television network". The web aspect would be a "good" idea on it's own, but they're really, really trying to push the broadcast aspect for some dumb reason. "TouchNews" ($5 says this is just TouchVision branded EyeOpener/NewsFix) is just proof of that.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Weigel has dropped TouchVision as a stand-alone channel on 58.4 in Milwaukee. They will continue to air a one-hour version on WMLW, and it will continue online.

If one of Weigel's most prominent markets won't even carry it, that doesn't bode well for it for the future. (Darn.)

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/tvradio/tv-flashback-weigel-to-add-new-nostalgia-channel-in-milwaukee-b99424889z1-288430431.html

• 11 months later...

I thought TouchVision was like those monitors shown on hotel lobbies where they had some light video headlines but included weather and events where it looked like a dash board. Was it this, something else or something I completely screwed up on.

A pity this went down; once CBS and Weigel paired up with Decades it just got plunged down without cause (WMLW aired it pillarboxed AND windowboxed, which just feels like an insult). I really liked what they were doing but without much focus, Weigel just chalked it up to a noble experiment and began to wind it all up.

Archived